Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-13-2022, 03:25 AM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, that 256K-ish limit--we've used that at my shop for years. Just to be on the safe side.
Back in 2020: "limit on size of html file?" I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
In EPUB, there's a "soft limit" of ~300 KB per HTML file. Very old e-ink devices had very limited RAM and wouldn't be able to read/open those.

It's also good practice to try to split each chapter into its own HTML file.
and listed a few advantages on why you want to split your files anyway.

I forget the exact limit, but I believe it was slightly above 300 KB.

There was also a limitation on image resolution as well. On my original Nook, it was somewhere ~3.5 million pixels total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
(Becuse, sure as hell, the moment you ignore it, you know damned well the customer will upload the file at some older spot and it will bite you right in the tuchus.)
Yep! Exactly!

The second I forgot some old MOBI code I haven't touched in years, boom, someone was using an old Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
There are people still using horse and buggies too……….
At today's fuel prices who can blame them
No need to fix what isn't broken.

Those horseless carriages can suck it!

Talkies? Who needs 'em?

Iced cream? Get that newfangled technology outta here!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I just want to say that Marco Polo apparently and allegedly experienced a sherbert-like concoction during his visits to China, and that was when, 1299 or so? (Nero used to send folks to the higher reaches, to obtain and cart ice and snow, that he would flavor with fruits and juices, too!)

I think that anything that came to exist prior to the advent of indoor plumbing is okay with me. It no longer qualifies as "newfangled."

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #18
Magnus
Enthusiast
Magnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was a limitation because the first Reader to run RSMSDK was the old Sony Reader PRS-505. It needed this limitation to work well.

Magnus, where is it these eBooks that show the bracketed number come from? I've seen some self-published Kindle eBooks were it was all one big HTML file.
I'm wondering if this isn't a Moon Reader thing. Here's a page shot... (Attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220715-175209_Moon+ Reader Pro.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	195025  
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:50 PM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I'm wondering if this isn't a Moon Reader thing. Here's a page shot... (Attached)
Yep, that's definitely a Moon+ Reader thing when the single HTML file is too large... it splits the document into multiple pieces.

(Probably done to keep RAM usage lower(?).)

Side Note: That was one of the reasons why I ultimately dropped Moon+ Reader. On my old phone, it kept on randomly losing all of my highlights/notes. Probably because it was pushing the RAM limits of my phone, and couldn't handle all the other functionality layers on top [highlighting, notes, TTS, etc.].

After months of losing notes, I just abandoned it for a more standards-compliant reader. So much happier. (And never lost a note again!!!)

See my post in "Moon+Reader and tables" where I describe why Moon+ Reader is no good + what I use now.

Definitely use a proper EPUB app. You won't regret it.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:06 PM   #20
Magnus
Enthusiast
Magnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
See my post in "Moon+Reader and tables" where I describe why Moon+ Reader is no good + what I use now.
Apparently that is not an Android app... As it is not in play store, and the developer web site certificate has expired, so I presume it is no longer in development.

Moon+ Reader Pro has seved me well, having tried a number of various ebook readers. Thanks.
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 04:29 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
According to what I've read about Moon+, (on MR), it does not respect the CSS. That makes it a poor program to use (IMHO).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:44 PM   #22
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Moon+ Reader Pro has seved me well, having tried a number of various ebook readers. Thanks.
I'd be interested in knowing why you choose Moon+ over the others.

What functionality do you use that's essential?

Quote:
Apparently that is not an Android app... As it is not in play store, and the developer web site certificate has expired, so I presume it is no longer in development.
Yes.

Since that post, Gitden Reader's creator had a medical emergency, and the company unexpectedly shut down.

The latest APK—4.5.3—can still be found though.

Real shame, it was/is a great app.

But nowadays I use PocketBook.

It is backed by PocketBook (multi-million dollar company who makes e-ink readers).

It follows the EPUB standards, supporting everything, while still allowing a huge amount of customizability (fonts, margins, colors, etc.)—and most essential to me, Text-to-Speech that isn't locked behind a paywall.

(Locking away built-in Android functionality behind a paywall is preposterous.)

Side Note: I just checked, and PocketBook's Play Store link seems to be down. Very strange. It was just working on June 30th because I got an update. 5.33.253 is the latest version.

Probably just a temporary thing.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-18-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is that most eBook reading software for Android and iOS is garbage. There are very few really good programs out there. Moon+ & FBReader are definitely garbage (for example).
Old 07-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #24
Magnus
Enthusiast

In Android world, Moon+ Reader is one of the best e-readers out there IMO. I liked its features enough, that I upgraded to pro, and have no regrets.

Not everyone needs a dedicated ebook device (and many of those have deep faults as well). Use what works best for you. And if you have helpful advice, share it. Cheers!
Old 07-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Side Note: I just checked, and PocketBook's Play Store link seems to be down. Very strange. It was just working on June 30th because I got an update. 5.33.253 is the latest version.

Probably just a temporary thing.
One mention elsewhere that Pocketbook ran into an issue with allowing in-app purchases which Google is now enforcing their ban on.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:52 PM   #26
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One mention elsewhere that Pocketbook ran into an issue with allowing in-app purchases which Google is now enforcing their ban on.
Ahhh, so that must've been why. Thanks for letting me know.

Looks like it's all back up and working today! (Latest version = 5.34.259.)

Quote:
In Android world, Moon+ Reader is one of the best e-readers out there IMO. I liked its features enough, that I upgraded to pro, and have no regrets.
Yes, which is what I was genuinely asking about.

What features make Moon+ Reader "one of the best" for you?
Old 07-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #27
Magnus
Enthusiast

Quote:
What features make Moon+ Reader "one of the best" for you?
In no particular order of preference, I find these attractive...
  • sync connectivity with my calibre server
  • excellent highlighting capability (far better than Kindle)
  • ability to easily modify publisher style sheet
  • cloud sync, and its ability to keep my readers in sync
  • quick and easy font adjustment
  • actively maintained
The only "downside" I've run across, is the plethora of settings (now, that's not really a downside for most here).

I only got the "pro" version to help the developers. The "free" version never showed me ads (maybe due to my network filters).

As I said... to each their own
Old 07-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
KOReader IMO is better. Also I tried Moonreader and it seemed to ignore a lot of CSS.

If the ebook is madly crazy on CSS I prefer to fix it on PC, especially ones wife reading too and all that are PD.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
KOReader IMO is better. Also I tried Moonreader and it seemed to ignore a lot of CSS.

If the ebook is madly crazy on CSS I prefer to fix it on PC, especially ones wife reading too and all that are PD.
I do consider programs such as Moonreader to be garbage because they ignore too much of the CSS.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:26 PM   #30
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
In no particular order of preference, I find these attractive...
Thanks.

I'll definitely have to poke around some of PocketBook's settings and see if they have some of that.

In Moon+, I do remember really liking the Highlights+Notes menu.

(In PocketBook, they have a separate button for highlights/colors, and a separate button for notes.)

And didn't Moon+ have a really nice way to sort notes based on highlight color too?

I remember, when proofing, I was doing things like:
  • Pink = spelling error
  • Red = punctuation error
  • Yellow = Normal note

that saved me a lot of clicking/dragging/typing... since mobile UIs are definitely not design for super productivity (at least at my level).

I was then able to open up my phone + computer, then easily do corrections in the EPUB based on category.

Quote:
KOReader IMO is better.
I'll have to test it out again.

Jellby recommended it to me a few years ago, and he spoke very highly of it.

But when I tested it, it felt very clunky on the phone:
  • The UI mostly seemed to be designed to run as a Kindle/Kobo alternative.
    • So an ereader-first UI... not a mobile-first one.
  • One of the key things I use is pressing the Volume Up+Down buttons to change pages.
    • I remember this not working at the time, and it was extremely frustrating having to click on the screen to turn page.
    • (I LOVE physical buttons.)
  • And most importantly, it didn't have Text-to-Speech—which is one of my must-have features!

The in-line footnotes of KOReader is excellent though.

And they are always updating it every few months and adding new functionality too... maybe it got better on Android in the past few years.

(But I still love PocketBook.)

Quote:
Also I tried Moonreader and it seemed to ignore a lot of CSS.
Yes, that's my biggest problem with it.

They do not follow the EPUB standards, so things like Tables + SVG + MathML and so many other things are broken.

If you read lots of basic Fiction, it might be "okay"... but for Non-Fiction, it breaks too much core EPUB functionality for me.

And then there are too many complaints that book XYZ is broken, when in reality, it's their chosen READER that's broken!

Quote:
The "free" version never showed me ads (maybe due to my network filters)
Ads? What's that?

Side Note: The past year, I finally installed a Pi-hole and began SUPER cracking down on ads network-wide.

You wouldn't believe how much garbage Android (and iOS) is still sending, even though I locked down my phone.

Now, anyone who connects onto my wifi gets the blocking benefits too. :P

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-23-2022 at 08:31 PM.