Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #31
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I use the wish list on Overdrive. Since I (legitimately) have access to four different Overdrives it's tedious to keep them synchronized. Sigh.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:47 PM   #32
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I keep a list in Word stored in my Dropbox so I can access it if away from home.

I do sometimes add books to my wishlist at Kobo and Google Play. But rarely remember to look at either.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 10:04 AM   #33
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I use an Amazon wishlist for KU. Books to be purchased or borrowed are added to a(n) OneDrive wishlist file that I ultimately will add to Calibre as empty books, along with any notes etc. These books get a WL tag, occasionally a REC(commended) tag.

A podcast recommended a book the other day and I realized I'd added it to Calibre five years ago as a different podcast's recommendation. I finally broke down, purchased the book, bumped it to the top of the TBR. It now has a READ tag, no more WL tag, but kept the REC tag.

The process is easier than it sounds, especially since I've been using this method for years.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:26 PM   #34
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I request the book from Overdrive.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #35
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have a wish list on Amazon for books I'd like to buy, a separate one for KU books, and I keep one on my public library account as well.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What's a book wishlist? I'm not playing dumb, I'm just honestly a bit confused. Wished my library had it? Wished I owned it? Wished it was available in ebook format? Wished the author would hurry up and finish it?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:34 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What's a book wishlist? I'm not playing dumb, I'm just honestly a bit confused. Wished my library had it? Wished I owned it? Wished it was available in ebook format? Wished the author would hurry up and finish it?
Essentially, it’s “books I’d like to read that I don’t own.”

Sometimes it means “I’d buy this if/when it’s cheaper.” Sometimes, “I plan to get around to this and then I’ll buy it. Or borrow it.” It’s the complementary list to one’s TBR list (to be read, that is, books I own that I haven’t read yet).

Goodreads totally threw a spanner into this nice dichotomy with its “Want-to-read” category, which mixes owned and not-owned and is totally not serious. I have GR friends who have literally thousands on their WTR list. Whom are they kidding? Only themselves.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:50 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The word "Wish" is what was confusing me, I think. Still is a bit, if I'm being honest. I have a ton of books in virtual "I might be interested in reading these" lists. But I don't curate or consolidate them. When it comes time to buy a new book to read, I peruse them.

I'll leave the conversation to those that understand it. I haven't had to "wish" for a book since I was a kid looking under the tree on Dec 25.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:01 PM   #39
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
For me, it's simply a list of books I come across that I'm either not ready to read, don't want to buy it yet, etc. If I didn't keep a list, I'd easily lose track.

There is no "wishing" about it. Maybe "Want to read List" makes more sense?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:14 PM   #40
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The Shorter OED has, as one of their definitions for wish: "Have or feel a wish, desire, or aspiration for; be so disposed that (if possible or practicable) one would like". It even mentions: "wish list a list of desired objects or occurrences".

So that seems to cover it ... except, as relates to a book wish list, I would probably add the caveat "some day ... maybe".

Given the various reasons people may have to put a book on a list to keep track of (see issybird's list of reasons for examples), calling it a "wish list" seems a succinct way of describing its purpose.

I've not yet found a service that makes their wish list mandatory, so anyone that does not wish to curate a wish list does not have to do so.

These days Kobo usually manages to let me know if a book on my wish list comes on special. Of course their idea of "special" and mine don't always coincide, but still, it does make the list more directly useful.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:25 PM   #41
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Desiderata
Old 07-30-2022, 01:40 PM   #42
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The word "Wish" is what was confusing me, I think. Still is a bit, if I'm being honest.
A long time ago (turn of the milleniumish) I was reading a web page for some open source software and at the bottom was something along the line of: If you find this useful, please buy a book for me from my amazon wishlist. That was the first I heard of wishlists and I didn't think of it again until some post on mobileread made me think they might be a good way to keep track of new books that I know I won't get to until after the price comes down.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #43
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
The word "Wish" is what was confusing me, I think. Still is a bit, if I'm being honest. I have a ton of books in virtual "I might be interested in reading these" lists. But I don't curate or consolidate them. When it comes time to buy a new book to read, I peruse them.

I'll leave the conversation to those that understand it. I haven't had to "wish" for a book since I was a kid looking under the tree on Dec 25.
If I'm perusing Overdrive or the ebookstore of my choice and see something that looks interesting but I'm not ready to read it yet (maybe I see several that look interesting but don't want to spend the money for multiple books right now, or in the case of library books, maybe I've maxed out my checkouts for now) I'll add it to my wishlist on that site.

Then in the future if I want something new to read without spending a lot of time browsing I'll go on the library or store website, open up the wishlist, and know I have a list of books I was already interested in.

I assume many people must like wishlists since these sites all seem to have them.

Sounds like your method is working for you though.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:46 AM   #44
paulag
paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like to keep things simple. My "to-be-read" list is a to do list at my digital planner. I’m reading through a list. It’s easy to not only mark them as read, but also categorise their availability. By that, I mean, which one are available at the library, which I own at home waiting to be read, and which I still need to find. That last group becomes my Christmas wish list slash second hand book shop browsing guide. Also I found cute digital reading Logbook, going to try

Last edited by paulag; 08-08-2022 at 07:51 AM.
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #45
Renate
Wizard

Slightly off topic.
Maybe I've never noticed it before, but OverDrive allows you to download your lending history as a CSV file.
If you borrowed a book multiple times it will include it multiple times in the CSV.
I don't think it indicates that in any way in the regular web interface.