Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2022, 06:12 AM   #691
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Nope.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #692
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
After a factory reset on the latest version, is it possible to restore the certificate? Copying the jailbreak hotfix doesn't make the "Update your Kindle" menu item visible.

Update: I tried it via MRPI and it worked fortunately.

Last edited by LittleBiG; 07-27-2022 at 04:32 AM.
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #693
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBiG View Post
After a factory reset on the latest version, is it possible to restore the certificate? Copying the jailbreak hotfix doesn't make the "Update your Kindle" menu item visible.

Update: I tried it via MRPI and it worked fortunately.
I just went through the same problem. I believe the cause was that I didn't click on Restore in the renameota extension before reset the kindle. I didn't know it was possible to install the hotfix through the MRPI, so I copied the backup of the "mkk" and "libkh" folders to the kindle root. It worked! It's good to know that there is another alternative in case I lose the backup of these folders.

Last edited by DenS; 07-30-2022 at 04:33 PM.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:55 AM   #694
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
I just went through the same problem. I believe the cause was that I didn't click on Restore in the renameota extension before reset the kindle. I didn't know it was possible to install the hotfix through the MRPI, so I copied the backup of the "mkk" and "libkh" folders to the kindle root. It worked! It's good to know that there is another alternative in case I lose the backup of these folders.
Yes, I also think I should have enabled the updates by renameota before the factory reset, but I had no chance to do so. (I couldn't use the touchscreen, this reset was meant to try to fix it by putting the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file to the reader.)
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:07 AM   #695
SuperLemonekPL
SuperLemonekPL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (7th Generation)
Is there any change to Jailbreak latest firmware using WatchThis and Serial/Root access on PW3?
SuperLemonekPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2022, 01:01 AM   #696
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just installed it on a refurbished KOA2 that I got from Woot ($90 for 8GB; I paid $120 for 32GB. And no Special Offers.) It was on 5.14.2.

FWIW, when I did ;enter_demo and Restarted, it didn't ask for Store, demo type, etc. and I didn't have to do the magic gesture (I was really looking forward to that...). I was able to type ;demo, go to Download, connect USB, install the JB and then proceed with the rest (KUAL & renameotabin & KOReader).

Shortly after doing all of this, I looked over to see the Kindle restarting: Update! But it was just refreshing the 5.14.2 already on there with the UI tweaks.

I'm in no hurry, and looking at the 5.14.3.1 Release Notes, I don't see anything that's different than what I already have. But JB will remain if I do update, right? and then I just re-run renameotabin to keep OTA away?

The KOA2 is pretty great! Feels about as zippy as my PW5 and with the KUAL and KOReader there as well might take over from it. I don't use the Warm light on the PW5 at all, so I don't miss one on the KOA2.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-05-2022 at 01:34 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #697
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Just be sure to install the Jailbreak Hotfix to keep it ok thru updates
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #698
kindlebyamazon
kindlebyamazon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th Generation
Hello everyone, I'd like to jailbreak my Kindle but I do not see it (at least I think I don't) in the supported devices' list provided at the start, can someone tell me if it's compatible with this jailbreak ?

I have this Kindle : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FQ4DJ7X/
(Kindle 10th Generation, 2019) and its firmware is at v5.14.2.

Thank you in advance.
kindlebyamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #699
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm in no hurry, and looking at the 5.14.3.1 Release Notes, I don't see anything that's different than what I already have.
You won't find this in the release notes, and most people don't care, but the ~ds search shortcut to disable automatic sleep was taken away.

But since you have jailbreak, you can use the sleep disable/reenable KUAL extention
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293264
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #700
kindlebyamazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlebyamazon View Post
Hello everyone, I'd like to jailbreak my Kindle but I do not see it (at least I think I don't) in the supported devices' list provided at the start, can someone tell me if it's compatible with this jailbreak ?

I have this Kindle : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FQ4DJ7X/
(Kindle 10th Generation, 2019) and its firmware is at v5.14.2.

Thank you in advance.
Forget that, after doing some additional researches it seems that "KT4" is the nickname of this Kindle so the jailbreak is possible.

If it can help anyone in the same situation, thanks again.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:52 AM   #701
kindlebyamazon

Hello again, I managed to jailbreak my Kindle since my last post (+ installed MRPI and KUAL), however when I want to install KOReader I'm unable to see it as a new entry in KUAL, is there something i'm missing ?

Both hotfixes are installed and my device is a KT4 v5.4.12

Thanks in avance.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:08 PM   #702
mistyk
mistyk began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Thanks to the detailed steps on the first post I have successfully jailbroken a KT4.

Is it possible to update to the latest version (5.14.3.2) while keeping the JB? This is something that is still not clear to me after reading the majority of the thread.
mistyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:23 AM   #703
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Generally, if you install the updated JB hotfix before installing an update, then you should be fine.

0. Ensure you didn't mess with the OTA update binaries. If you did, restore it. Otherwise, the update will fail.
1. Download and update the firmware.
2. Reinstall JB hotfix and KUALBooklet (if you use them) through /mrpackages folder and use ";log mrpi" to let MRPI install those.

Why do I say "generally"? Because the update file can change behavior and can do ANYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyk View Post
Thanks to the detailed steps on the first post I have successfully jailbroken a KT4.

Is it possible to update to the latest version (5.14.3.2) while keeping the JB? This is something that is still not clear to me after reading the majority of the thread.

Last edited by tekkasit; 08-14-2022 at 04:31 AM.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #704
mistyk
mistyk began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
Generally, if you install the updated JB hotfix before installing an update, then you should be fine.

0. Ensure you didn't mess with the OTA update binaries. If you did, restore it. Otherwise, the update will fail.
1. Download and update the firmware.
2. Reinstall JB hotfix and KUALBooklet (if you use them) through /mrpackages folder and use ";log mrpi" to let MRPI install those.

Why do I say "generally"? Because the update file can change behavior and can do ANYTHING.
Thank you!
Is there a thread to look for or share if X version is safe to update to? (to retain the jailbreak)
mistyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #705
Mike Li
Mike Li began at the beginning.

Device: KW4
My device is kwp4 (the tenth generation), and the system version is 5.14.3.0.1. Is there any jail break plan? thanks!
Mike Li is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak