Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-17-2022, 02:20 AM   #1651
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You don't need to use the book editor's S&R feature to remove a metadata element from an EPUB. Open the EPUB's OPF file (in the book editor), delete the entire element (in this case dc:description) in the code window, and save the EPUB.

If you don't want to 'mess' with editing the OPF code, you can use Sigil's Metadata Editor tool to remove individual metadata elements with the click of a button?

FWIW: I move the text from the Comments column to a Blurb custom column using calibre's Metadata Editor (in bulk via its S&R tool, or cut and paste for an individual book). This allows me to edit Blurb from the book list, and remove it from the EPUB with this plugin.

BR
I use the editor to "clean" epub: updating it to epub3 if needed, optimizing images, removing unneeded css, beautifying the html…
My editor was set to update the metadata from calibre to the epub when saving the modifications, thus saving to the epub things like custom columns.
This is now fixed.

The comment I'm talking about are not in the opf but directly in the html files for each pages. I try to buy books without drm when I can (or else kobo store + obok dedrm) but I clean the watermarks that my book shop set as html comments containing identifying data (e-mail, customer id, transaction timestamp, etc.). I'm using the editor search and replace feature to remove them ATM. But as I also have to check the opf for identifying metadata and sometimes xml comments in it or the toc, I will keep doing it with the editor.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:40 AM   #1652
galaxyhub
galaxyhub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Galaxy Tab S2 8.0
'calibre:user_metadata' and "Remove non dc: metadata elements" 2 different effects. The former will still retain the essential series metadata the latter will not. Also even though this can be done in Sigil, it cannot be batched processed. i.e. cleaning a 1000 epubs of calibre user data. Many thanks for great plugin I use it as standard instead of the calibre clean tool. Please consider request.
galaxyhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2022, 03:59 AM   #1653
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoworld235 View Post
I use the editor to "clean" epub: updating it to epub3 if needed, optimizing images, removing unneeded css, beautifying the html…
My editor was set to update the metadata from calibre to the epub when saving the modifications, thus saving to the epub things like custom columns.
This is now fixed.

The comment I'm talking about are not in the opf but directly in the html files for each pages. I try to buy books without drm when I can (or else kobo store + obok dedrm) but I clean the watermarks that my book shop set as html comments containing identifying data (e-mail, customer id, transaction timestamp, etc.). I'm using the editor search and replace feature to remove them ATM. But as I also have to check the opf for identifying metadata and sometimes xml comments in it or the toc, I will keep doing it with the editor.
I don't understand the need to update an eBook in ePub 2 to ePub 3. Do you actually need any ePub 3 features that you cannot get with ePub 2?

I don't have Calibre update any of the metadata in the ePub. If I need/want anything changed, I'll do it myself in the editor.

I prefer to download ePub from Kobo. That way, I have the choice to read it as ePub or KePub. IMHO, ePub is better as a source format then KePub because ePub doesn't have all the koboSpans and the HTML is a lot easier to edit/read.

As for watermarks, I've not seen any in an ePub. But one thing that I have read of (that you've not mentioned) is putting watermarks in the image metadata. Do you have a program to check for that?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:44 AM   #1654
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't understand the need to update an eBook in ePub 2 to ePub 3. Do you actually need any ePub 3 features that you cannot get with ePub 2?

I don't have Calibre update any of the metadata in the ePub. If I need/want anything changed, I'll do it myself in the editor.

I prefer to download ePub from Kobo. That way, I have the choice to read it as ePub or KePub. IMHO, ePub is better as a source format then KePub because ePub doesn't have all the koboSpans and the HTML is a lot easier to edit/read.

As for watermarks, I've not seen any in an ePub. But one thing that I have read of (that you've not mentioned) is putting watermarks in the image metadata. Do you have a program to check for that?
I can’t even tell you she difference between v2 and v3. Just that the toc file is different.
My reader can read v3 so why not.

I buy most epub to the French store 7switch.com
Books from the publisher Bragelonne are plain old epub without drm but embedding html comments in each xhtml files, containing my name, e-mail, 7switch customer id, and the timestamp of the purchase.
The customer id is also added to the dc:rights in the opf.
Sometimes, instead of comments, each page has a visible footer with name + e-mail. Sometimes even a customized cover image.
For watermarks hidden in image metadata or even with steganography, well...
It’s becoming easier to buy books on the kobo store with drm, download them with the windows app, then import them while removing drm with obok. Kind of dumb...

I’m using the KoboTouchExtended plugin to convert epub to kepub on-the-fly while sending them to my kobo.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #1655
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoworld235 View Post
I’m using the KoboTouchExtended plugin to convert epub to kepub on-the-fly while sending them to my kobo.
The KoboTouchExtended driver does not convert ePub 2 to ePub 3. It just converts ePub (be it 2 or 3) to KePub. KePub can be from ePub 2 or 3.
Advert
Old 06-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #1656
mexofeed1
mexofeed1 began at the beginning.

Device: Supernote A5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
I invariably run Modify ePub to do some of the things it does with every book I add to my library.

I'd like to request the addition of an option to remove encryption.xml files from epubs when executing Modify ePub.

My reader won't open books containing this file. (Presumably it has something to do with converting Amazon files to ePub?) Unfortunately I only discover the existence of said file when I have put the book into my reader and can't open it. I then have to go back and remove the file, then put the book back into my reader.

I can identify books with the file in them using Quality Check searching html on (say) </encryption>, but then I have to go through and manually remove each file. Would be awesome if Modify ePub found and removed the files automatically when the requested option is checked.

Thanks for reading!
I would like to add another vote for this feature except in a slightly different way. The "Remove embedded fonts" option should also remove the META-INF/encryption.xml file if it exists and only references fonts (which most of the time it does). This will not only help those of us with crippled ereaders, it will result in cleaner EPUBs and smaller files for everyone.
mexofeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #1657
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexofeed1 View Post
I would like to add another vote for this feature except in a slightly different way. The "Remove embedded fonts" option should also remove the META-INF/encryption.xml file if it exists and only references fonts (which most of the time it does). This will not only help those of us with crippled ereaders, it will result in cleaner EPUBs and smaller files for everyone.
As far as I know, no one is developing this plugin. I converted it from Python 2 to Python 3 as a service to the community but I have zero interest in further work. I don't even use it.

If someone is interested in taking on future development then great. More thanks and power to you! If needed I can publish releases for you.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #1658
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As far as I know, no one is developing this plugin. I converted it from Python 2 to Python 3 as a service to the community but I have zero interest in further work. I don't even use it.

If someone is interested in taking on future development then great. More thanks and power to you! If needed I can publish releases for you.
Would you mind making sure this will work under Calibre 6? I don't need any new features other then it working. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:30 PM   #1659
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you mind making sure this will work under Calibre 6? I don't need any new features other then it working. Thanks.
Does it not work? Have you tried it with the beta?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:35 PM   #1660
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have not. I'll give it a go when I get a chance. Might not be until The first week in July.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:46 PM   #1661
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I don't use all the features (not even close ), but I have used some on the beta 5.99.9 with nothing unexpected
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #1662
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Using 5.99.9, the features I use in this plugin have worked. Admittedly a limited subset of the full feature set and run using the portable Windows installation.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:53 PM   #1663
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The latest version of Modify-ePub (1.7.3) with latest version of calibre 64bit (5.44) works for me.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #1664
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The latest version of Modify-ePub (1.7.3) with latest version of calibre 64bit (5.44) works for me.

BR
I think Jon was worried about calibre 6 and the closest to that is the calibre 5.99 beta releases.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #1665
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I think Jon was worried about calibre 6 and the closest to that is the calibre 5.99 beta releases.
If Kovid was so inclined he could repackage version 5.99.7 as version 6.0 and release it tomorrow. Jon, knows that full well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by first post this thread

Version 1.7.0 - 19 Jan 2022 by chaley
Support for calibre 6
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub