Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-02-2022, 08:40 PM   #1636
andrew.c12
andrew.c12 will become famous soon enoughandrew.c12 will become famous soon enoughandrew.c12 will become famous soon enoughandrew.c12 will become famous soon enoughandrew.c12 will become famous soon enoughandrew.c12 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen, Librera, Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What is the advantage? If I don't get a good match with this, I press the "Goodread search" button, look at the results and fiddle with the search until I get the match I want.
This is what I used to do as well, but then I changed the python code to open google and it finds the book reliably first time without having to change the search parameters

as an example

https://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=Empire+Ascendant%3A+A+LitRPG+Adventure+%28UnderVe rse+Book+6%29+Jez+Cajiao

vs

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...%29+Jez+Cajiao
andrew.c12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:30 PM   #1637
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.c12 View Post
This is what I used to do as well, but then I changed the python code to open google and it finds the book reliably first time without having to change the search parameters

as an example

https://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=Empire+Ascendant%3A+A+LitRPG+Adventure+%28UnderVe rse+Book+6%29+Jez+Cajiao

vs

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...%29+Jez+Cajiao
The problem is that I would have to add code to parse the Google search page to find the GR link and then potentially fetch that page to check it is correct. I don't see a good reason to do that.

The problem with the GR search is that what you have is not actually the title of the book. You have "Empire Ascendant: A LitRPG Adventure (UnderVerse Book 6)". The title, according to to the cover, GR and FictionDB is just "Empire Ascendant". Including the subtitle, or maybe it's a tag-line, "A LitRPG Adventure" is not uncommon as there isn't anywhere else to store this in the basic metadata. (I have things like that in a separate subtitle column as Kobo devices have a subtitle.) Including the series info breaks a lot of things like this.

I generally recommend using the metadata download to get the details. If you have the Goodread metadata source plugin installed, it will find this book and set the identifier for the Goodreads Sync plugin to use. The search used there is a bit more comprehensive than the search here. This plugin assumes the metadata is correct and that the title is the correct title when searching. The metadata source plugins are more flexible and will try different things to get what could be a match. They are probably stripping the contents of parantheses from the title for the search, so I might look at doing that here when I have some time.

If the reason you are keeping the series info in the title is to be able to see it on your device, then I recommend looking at metadata plugboards. These can tweak the metadata when sending the book to the device. It can construct a title that includes the series info so that it is visible on the device, but, calibre library has these in separate fields. In general, this works better as you can configure different things for different devices and in the calibre library, it will look cleaner.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:58 PM   #1638
6l7r5zibt
6l7r5zibt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for this great plugin!

Is it possible to have a background link job which will auto-link if there is only one result, or do nothing/prompt later if there are more than 1 link?
6l7r5zibt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:47 PM   #1639
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update to version 1.15.5 - Calibre 6/Qt6 compatibility fix

I have just updated the plugin to version 1.15.5. This is in response to a separate report about errors with using drag-and-drop to the Link Goodreads dialogs. This is just a fix and there are no function changes.

The change log is:
  • Fix: Calibre v6/Qt6 - Drag-and-drop to "Link Goodreads" and "Switchdialog.
  • Fix: Calibre v6/Qt6 - Fix selection issues as Qt6 allows deleselecting all entries in the lists.

As usual, calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. And if there are any problems, please report them here.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:54 AM   #1640
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6l7r5zibt View Post
Thank you for this great plugin!

Is it possible to have a background link job which will auto-link if there is only one result, or do nothing/prompt later if there are more than 1 link?
Anything is possible, but, I can't say I am very interested in doing that. I don't trust the matches enough to want to skip them. And there are some usability things. I only ever do this one book at time, and not that often. If only one book is done, do you automatically do the match? If nothing was displayed, I'd question if it had worked at all. Or is it only to be done when multiple books are being linked. And does anything else need to be done to show that it actually worked for all books? By that I mean prompt at the end saying how many books were actually matched or something like that.

For the record, if you are trying to set the GR identifier for a lot of books, I think you should use the bulk metadata download. That will do multiple books, update the metadata, allow you to review the changes or accept them all and show you a list of failures. And generally, I find the matching is better.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #1641
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Is there a reason I can no longer "add book to Calibre" from Sync?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:02 PM   #1642
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Is there a reason I can no longer "add book to Calibre" from Sync?
I appear to have broken that in the last release. I'll have a look at it when I get a chance.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:24 AM   #1643
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.15.6

I have just updated the plugin to fix the problem that @Rellwood reported.

The release notes are:
  • Fix: Error in previous version meant some menu items were not enabled on the "Sync from Goodreads shelf" dialog.

As usual, calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. And if there are any problems, please report them here.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:10 AM   #1644
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Alright, now it seems that I keep getting timed out with my "read" column (1450 books), never had a problem before. If I sync from too many columns at once it times out, but I haven't found the threshold. I rolled back to the previous version, and it still does it.

calibre, version 6.3.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TimeoutError</b>:The read operation timed out

calibre 6.3 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19043-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19043')
Python 3.10.1
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19043', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 370, in _accept_clicked
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 452, in get_goodreads_books_on_shelves
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 131, in _oauth_request_get
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.oauth2.__init_ _", line 689, in request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1689, in request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1429, in _request
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2.__init__" , line 1385, in _conn_request
File "http\client.py", line 1374, in getresponse
File "http\client.py", line 318, in begin
File "http\client.py", line 279, in _read_status
File "socket.py", line 705, in readinto
File "ssl.py", line 1273, in recv_into
File "ssl.py", line 1129, in read
TimeoutError: The read operation timed out

UPDATE: I think it was either the Library Codes Plugin or something with the Library Thing Plugin because I had just installed them and I remember using the Library Codes in the past but removing it because of some reason I can't remember,but I think it was the Goodreads Sync plugin. I removed them, along with plugins I don't use, and now it's running fine on an older version of the plugin. I'll see if it runs with the newer version

Last edited by Rellwood; 08-28-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:01 AM   #1645
Kvasir
Kvasir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Progress appears to be "-1"

Sorry for asking a stupid question - I'm new to Calibre and ebook readers in general. Also, I used the search function in this thread, but to no avail.

This is the first plugin I installed and I only did it because I liked the idea to sync my progress to GR. Unfortunately, for some reason, all the books in my library, no matter their status (new, x%, read), appear to have a progress of "-1" when trying to use the "update reading progress" feature.
For example, the book in this picture has a progress of 18% on my Kindle, but the plugin/Calibre has it at "-1". (see: https://imgur.com/a/PtsYM5V).
Another thing I noticed is that most books are missing links.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm really sorry if this was answered before or if it's common knowledge for most users. Thank you!

P.S: English is not my first language, excuse me for any mistakes that I might've made.
Kvasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #1646
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvasir View Post
Sorry for asking a stupid question - I'm new to Calibre and ebook readers in general. Also, I used the search function in this thread, but to no avail.

This is the first plugin I installed and I only did it because I liked the idea to sync my progress to GR. Unfortunately, for some reason, all the books in my library, no matter their status (new, x%, read), appear to have a progress of "-1" when trying to use the "update reading progress" feature.
For example, the book in this picture has a progress of 18% on my Kindle, but the plugin/Calibre has it at "-1". (see: https://imgur.com/a/PtsYM5V).
Another thing I noticed is that most books are missing links.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm really sorry if this was answered before or if it's common knowledge for most users. Thank you!

P.S: English is not my first language, excuse me for any mistakes that I might've made.
Hi and welcome to MobileRead

This particular feature was not added to the plugin by myself but I have taken a quick look at the code.

The -1 appears if it cannot find a value in your reading progress column for that book. Are you sure you have actually selected the correct column in the "Reading progress column" dropdown on the "Customize..." dialog for this plugin?

In trying this feature myself I did find a few bugs with this feature which I will try to address for the next release. However what might have caught you out is that if you chose the "Create new column" option in the dropdown for Reading progress column, and then restart calibre. It appears that it doesn't save your new column as the choice - you have to go back into the Customize... dialog to reselect the column now that it is available.

The other situation for getting -1 is that is the default value for a book that has no value assigned in your progress custom column.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:34 AM   #1647
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Seeing the image it seems the book in Calibre is not linked to a book in Goodreads. That should be the first step, what I don't know is if you can link more than one book at the same time, I do it book by book, because I only see my new books, I've been using the plugin for a long time.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #1648
Kvasir

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Hi and welcome to MobileRead

The -1 appears if it cannot find a value in your reading progress column for that book. Are you sure you have actually selected the correct column in the "Reading progress column" dropdown on the "Customize..." dialog for this plugin?

In trying this feature myself I did find a few bugs with this feature which I will try to address for the next release. However what might have caught you out is that if you chose the "Create new column" option in the dropdown for Reading progress column, and then restart calibre. It appears that it doesn't save your new column as the choice - you have to go back into the Customize... dialog to reselect the column now that it is available.

The other situation for getting -1 is that is the default value for a book that has no value assigned in your progress custom column.
This is how "customise plugin" section looks like: https://imgur.com/a/skM9baw . I chose the column that got created when installing the plugin.

What do you mean by "no value assigned in your progress custom column"? Do I have to assign that value? I thought that the plugin automatically detects the progress from my Kindle.

Thank you!
Old 09-27-2022, 09:12 AM   #1649
Kvasir

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
Seeing the image it seems the book in Calibre is not linked to a book in Goodreads. That should be the first step, what I don't know is if you can link more than one book at the same time, I do it book by book, because I only see my new books, I've been using the plugin for a long time.
It appears the same for books that aren't "missing links". https://imgur.com/a/rg6ULNV
Old 09-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #1650
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvasir View Post
What do you mean by "no value assigned in your progress custom column"? Do I have to assign that value? I thought that the plugin automatically detects the progress from my Kindle.

Thank you!
Yes you have to assign that value into the column manually, this plugin will not do it for you.

I don't think there is an automated way to get it from a Kindle but my information may be out of date. A quick search on the forums finds this thread from 2019 which backs this up:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321356

So really I think this feature is targeting Kobo users rather than Kindles.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads