Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2022, 05:40 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Except for extremely nearsighted people. I'm 50, have been very nearsighted all my life (needing -11 lenses) and I have noticed no changes in the way my eyes work, regardless of the light. The eye doctors I've visited have said the same.
Well, there will have been changes. But since your max focal distance (without glasses) is only 9cm from your eyes, you probably haven't noticed that you can no longer focus as well on objects that are closer to your eyes than 9cm.

(I'm 58 and need around -7 lenses, so I can still easily read without my glasses on, but I have noticed that for really close work I need a magnifier now.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, there will have been changes. But since your max focal distance (without glasses) is only 9cm from your eyes, you probably haven't noticed that you can no longer focus as well on objects that are closer to your eyes than 9cm.

(I'm 58 and need around -7 lenses, so I can still easily read without my glasses on, but I have noticed that for really close work I need a magnifier now.)
Yeah, I have not needed a magnifier yet. OTOH I still can't really read without glasses either, unless I bring the text very close to my eyes.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #33
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Are you using computers or tablets etc a lot? These can cause eyes to tire, so that using an e-ink screen can become unpleasant. Also try reading on the screen using a lamp late at night to see if the problem persists. The fact that the comfort light is no longer orange is a cause for concern. Definitely try one of your old PWs.
Yes, I'm an office worker on a laptop most of the day and also between that and phone, get a lot of screen reading.

As for the warm light, something is definitely up with it still. Used to be if you turned it all the way up it was very "warm" and too much - now all the way up it just dims it a bit and is what the lower setting of the warm light used to be. I know that parts not my eyes, but some change with the feature with the screen.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 08-08-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #34
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
At 42 you'll just be starting to notice the reduction in accommodation in your eyes (ability to change focus). It happens to everyone at pretty much the same age.

It's more obvious in dim light, because with the pupils open wider you have a smaller field of sharp vision.

You will eventually need reading glasses, but for now reading in brighter light with a larger font will work.

[But it's definitely worth have a proper eye test at an optician]
I was reading on it and see that 38-42 is usually "the age" -- I have been lucky so far, but you explaining on dim light reassures me also. I will set up an eye exam just in case but have been using reading glasses over the weekend with the Oasis which has been helping. The paperback reading is still fine but different lighting.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
I was getting headaches at about 44 yo. Turned out I needed reading glasses!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I was getting headaches at about 44 yo. Turned out I needed reading glasses!
Heh, I was getting headaches and halos when I was 47-48, but in my case it turned out to be an early-stage hypertension (which runs in my family on both my parents' side). I've been on blood-pressure meds since and will be until my death, I guess. Oh, joys of aging.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote