Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
killdanzig
killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-600
ipad constantly backing up

anyone else having an issue with itunes wanting to back their ipad up constantly?

this is happening to me every other time that i connect the ipad or make a change and sync it.

it wouldn't be so bad, but the backup will take 1-2 hours and still not complete.

out of the 32gb's i have only used about 6-7.

thanks to anyone that can help with this.
killdanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
I have the same symptoms and don't have a consistent way to stop iTunes from backing up every time.

You can try clicking on the "x" to the right of the "Backing up..." message. If that works, it should go straight into syncing your iPad.

I've found that that doesn't always work, however.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
killdanzig
killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-600
thanks for the reply.

i have been using this method as much as i can, and it does seem to work about half the time. it's just a nuisance to deal with.

i am still trying to figure out if it is usb2.0 related.

according to the ipad support, usb2.0 is what the ipad should be connected to.

unfortunately i think that my computer only has 2 of the 2.0 ports, and i cannot figure out which 2 they are.

in my device manager there are 8 listings for usb ports, and only 2 are listed as 2.0.

this is rather disconcerting as i paid dell to give me 8 ports @ 2.0 when i bought this thing about 2 years ago.

i haven't had any other problems with this until i started goofing with this ipad yesterday.

as far as i know, my wife hasn't had any issues with her ipod touch either.

i wonder if is possibly another windows incompatibility issue, like what happened with vista about 2 years ago.
killdanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Try this - Without the iPad attached, in iTunes go to the Edit menu. Go to Preferences. on the Devices tab choose the device (if you have more than one) and put a check mark in the box that says, "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically." Click "OK". Now when you connect your iPad it will not backup or sync.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Try this - Without the iPad attached, in iTunes go to the Edit menu. Go to Preferences. on the Devices tab choose the device (if you have more than one) and put a check mark in the box that says, "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically." Click "OK". Now when you connect your iPad it will not backup or sync.
Thanks for this. I was struggling to find this option previously. I think this will work for me as I prefer to sync and backup on my terms.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert