Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-15-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
pinky62
Zealot
pinky62 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paper white
How to add only publishing date

Hi I have many books missing the publishers date is there any way only the publishers date to the books without downloading entire meta date?TIA
pinky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:39 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@pinky62 - try Preferences->Metadata download (row 4, col 3 ) tick/untick boxes in the right hand list

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
pinky62
Zealot

i already have these boxes checked but still some 800 books have information missing?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
pinky62
Zealot

i need to know if i can update all these 800 books orig publishing date without downloading meta data for each individually.TIA
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky62 View Post
i need to know if i can update all these 800 books orig publishing date without downloading meta data for each individually.TIA
post #2 told you how to stop other fields
Remember to put them back afterwards
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
i already have these boxes checked but still some 800 books have information missing?
That suggests the metadata download sites you're using never send published date (e.g. some sources don't send Language), select source and click Configure selected source to check, or it's unchecked at the source level, or they sometimes send 'empty dates'.

If the metadata source sends published date and you have it checked in the right hand list then it should be there, but if its not sent or it's sent as empty then it won't be there.

Which metadata download sites do you use?

Quote:
Find a site that sends published date (eg Amazon) configure Preferences->Download metadata so that only that site is used and only check published date in right hand list.

Select say 20 of the 800 books in question, and press Ctrl/D (or click Edit Metadata->Download metadata and covers). If that works satisfactorily select the remaining 780 books and press Ctrl/D - could take a while, IIRC calibre puts a choke on bulk downloads so that the sources are not swamped by any single user.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In my experience, the published date provided by the metadata sources is always wrong. It seems that they pick some edition and give you that date. I have seen dates in the 2000s for books published in the '80s. The only time I have seen a correct date is for newly published books, and I suspect that it is correct only because I keep only the year.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
To be fair, "published date" is not "date first published", it is the date of publication of whatever edition the metadata source came up with. I agree that a database of first published dates would be useful.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is an option in Preferences->Metadata download to use worldcat.org to look for the first published date.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Published date MATCHES the ISBN if you don't use Kovid's tweak
ISBN defines the edition
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote