Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #31
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Running Vista SP2 32bit.

The eviewer now loads the mobi files as fast as the epubs. No apparent speed increase anywhere else but everything is working as expected.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks all, so far no major show stoppers, so I'm relieved, and its good to have the speed increases (somewhat) confirmed
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@sweetpea: I've updated the msi to use Qt 4.7.1, see if that helps
Uninstalled, downloaded and installed again.

No change.

I'll try it at home tomorrow (won't be home till late tonight), and see what happens if I'm not behind a proxy server.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #34
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
OK

I'm the only one so far with a touchscreen.

On my HP TX2, the multitouch scrolling (which works pretty much everywhere else) doesn't work. But, it is at least acknowledging quick up/down gestures (which I think is an improvement). And, I can scroll the scroll bar by grabbing it and scolling (I think before I had to push on the up and down arrows).

So, it's improved a little, I think. I don't use it much in tablet mode though, so I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct here. I'll try to play with it more and roll back and see how it changes.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #35
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
Deleting books takes a lot longer, even if it is one book. Changing meta data in a group takes forever, I think 5 times as longer as it used to do. It even looks like calibre isn't responding.

It can't find metadata anymore on isdndb.com, but that could be a connection problems, happened before.

I am using windows xp, sp3

greetings Sandra
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolsandra View Post
Deleting books takes a lot longer, even if it is one book. Changing meta data in a group takes forever, I think 5 times as longer as it used to do. It even looks like calibre isn't responding.

It can't find metadata anymore on isdndb.com, but that could be a connection problems, happened before.

I am using windows xp, sp3

greetings Sandra
Can anyone else confirm that, I don't see it on my winxp system, deleting and bulk editing metadata appear to be the same speed as before.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #37
Oboe Joe
Oboe Joe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, iPhone
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Opening - Faster
Added 100 books - Much faster
Bulk Edit Basic Metadata - Faster
Bulk Download Metadata - Same (No problem with isdndb.com)
Convert to various formats - Faster (I would have thought that performance here would been flat...)
Open Various Books Formats and Sizes - Much, much, much faster
Reflow text on same books - Nearly instant!!!
Delete all my test books - Same, Fast (Not slow at all)

Last edited by Oboe Joe; 11-11-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Oboe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #38
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The Epub reader is much, much faster on my TX2 laptop (Turion X2 processor, 4GB RAM, 5400RPM drive).

My desktop is still faster compared to it though (quad-core / SSD) on the old version.

Huge improvement for weaker processors - my conclusion.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #39
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I find calibre on my Windows XP machine to be about the same, except for the viewer which is quite a bit quicker.

My library is 4000 books and the only bulk metadata update issues I have, I don't believe are new with this change. If I select a group of books, say 4 or 400 books, and add or remove specific tags it is relatively quick, but if I add one tag and select remove all tags, even with just a couple of books it takes an incredibly long time. Almost as if it is touching every record in the process of removing the tags from a couple of books.

As I stated, I don't think this is new to this release. I did think this slowness had been previously eliminated so I was surprised I saw this slowness again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Remove all will be slow because what it does is try to remove every single tag in your database from the selected books. If you have a lot of tags, this will take a while. This could be sped up by creating a special method to handle removing of all tags, please open a ticket for it and I'll implement it when I have the time.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #41
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi Kovid
Official 0.7.28 is sooo much faster when viewing books.
Need more time to tell about ALL the other parts.
Thanx !
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #42
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Trouble with 0.7.28 on VISTA

I duly updated today, having been eager for a quicker preview, but find that Calibre 0.7.28 can be started, displays the splash screen and then disappears without a window. The processes seem to be running, though.

I am on Vista 32-bit, with a 4-core Intel processor.

Do I need to go back to 0.7.27?

Thanks for any help,

Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can get more debug output by starting calibre from a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g
Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #44
sfuller
sfuller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm running Windows 7 Pro X64 with an i7 920 and 6G of ram. Viewer on mobi went from 6-10 seconds to less than a second.
sfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #45
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Note that if you have already upgraded to calibre 0.7.27, you will need to uninstall before installing this build (don't worry, uninstalling will not touch your books or settings).
Is this still true? I don't see mention of it on the calibre website.

Thanks!

EDIT: Hmmm, now I notice that the link said 7.27, not 7.28. So the uninstall was only if you were using the beta version with the 7.27, wasn't it?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote