Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #1
Detroa
Detroa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Adding "folders/categories" in a TOC

Hello everyone,

First of all, sorry if this has been asked already but I couldn't find a solution using the search feature.

I want to add some "titles/folders/categories" in my TOC without having them pointing to anything. I just want to add them to sort my TOC entries in a certain way. To make things clearer, here's what I wanna do:

>Chapter 1 (pointing to chapter1.xhtml)
>Title/folder/category 1 (not pointing to anything, just there for sorting purpose)
>>Chapter 2 (pointing to chapter2.xhtml)
>>Chapter 3 (pointing to chapter3.xhtml)
>Chapter 4 (pointing to chapter4.xhtml)

I tried to achieve this by simply placing my chapters 2 and 3 <navPoint> tags in a <navPoint> with <navLabel> and <text> but no <content> tag and it seems to be working (tested in ADE) but when I open the TOC in Calibre, a red dot appears instead of the usual green V next to the Title/folder/category 1 entry so I suspect my solution could be a problem on some devices.

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Thank you a lot in advance for your help.
Detroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I still don't get exactly what it is you want. Your NCX ToC has to have every entry pointing to someplace valid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jon is correct. Only valid entries

Point your 'Part' (folder) to Chapter2.xhtml
and Just Point the chapter entry to an Anchor inside the body.
Chapter2.xhtml#top
They will both LAND at the same place, but having an anchor for the second bit prevents it being called a 'duplicate'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
Detroa
Detroa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thank you for your answers.

Making the "folder" entry point to a specific place of the book wouldn't make sense for the reader because the various entries I want to put in it are disseminated all over the book.

How about using <content src="toc.ncx"/> for the folder entries? That way, it points to something that does exist, it removes the errors in the Calibre TOC editor and the reader won't be redirected anywhere if he taps it. Do you think that solution could be problem on some devices?
Detroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroa View Post

Making the "folder" entry point to a specific place of the book wouldn't make sense for the reader because the various entries I want to put in it are disseminated all over the book.

How about using <content src="toc.ncx"/> for the folder entries? That way, it points to something that does exist, it removes the errors in the Calibre TOC editor and the reader won't be redirected anywhere if he taps it. Do you think that solution could be problem on some devices?
That won't work.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroa View Post

As Jon said above, that won't work.

I still don't understand WHAT you are trying to do. With all due respect, from what you've said thus far, it doesn't make any sense.

You say that the puprose of the folders is to "sort your TOC in a certain way." Uh...why not order the TOC in that way, in the first place? What's the POINT of the folder, exactly? If the folder is nothing but a placeholder, why not use parts and group your TOC *as you want it*? Why...can you give an actual example, that might make sense to us? You're not getting much play here, because nobody understands the WHY or even the WHAT of waht you want to do. A real example would be helpful.

Or make one up, using Dog Breeds as an example, or something...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think the idea could be something like:

Spine order:
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5

"Folder" TOC:
* Fun days
- Day 1
- Day 4
* Boring days
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 5

Where "-" are real links to actual sections in the book, and "*" are just TOC items that can be expanded/collapsed, but don't point anywhere in the book, because there's no appropriate place.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Maybe use an index.xhtml or create an html toc and edit it any way you want?
The actual TOC (Nav or NCX) is supposed to be machine readable and the playorder reflects the spine order. Html tocs outside the nav do not have this constraint.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-02-2021 at 01:01 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think the idea could be something like:

Spine order:
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5

"Folder" TOC:
* Fun days
- Day 1
- Day 4
* Boring days
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 5

Where "-" are real links to actual sections in the book, and "*" are just TOC items that can be expanded/collapsed, but don't point anywhere in the book, because there's no appropriate place.
That's why God in Her Infinite Wisdom created toc.html files and yes, indices. (smile). That's the only viable solution. I'd do a toc.html and drop it in; it's something that readers expect to see, so they would probably use it.

Hitch
Old 06-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
That's why God in Her Infinite Wisdom created toc.html files and yes, indices. (smile). That's the only viable solution. I'd do a toc.html and drop it in; it's something that readers expect to see, so they would probably use it.

Hitch
I delete the HTML list of links that some call a ToC.

It is a lot easier to use the NCX ToC. Why should I select the NCX ToC and then have to go to the HTML ToC when I already am in the ToC?
Old 06-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

It is a lot easier to use the NCX ToC. Why should I select the NCX ToC and then have to go to the HTML ToC when I already am in the ToC?
Yes, Jon, I know you do. But for some purposes--like THIS one, specifically--there is little choice.

Hitch
Old 06-02-2021, 08:20 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Jon, in this case where the OP wants to place entries in the ToC in ways that are not permitted in the epub2 toc.ncx or epub3 nav.xhtml document, I don't see much as choice other than using a HTML ToC.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:29 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, in this case where the OP wants to place entries in the ToC in ways that are not permitted in the epub2 toc.ncx or epub3 nav.xhtml document, I don't see much as choice other than using a HTML ToC.
I was thinking about this and I might have a solution.

In the NCX ToC,where space is wanted, put in an entry with non-breaking spaces and then point it to the same place (but using an ID) as the entry blow this. If this works, it will show as a blank line and if select it, it will go to the same place as the one below.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:39 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've tried my idea about the NCX ToC and it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ToC.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	187458
Old 06-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I've tried my idea about the NCX ToC and it works.

Attachment 187458
Jon:

That's good to know, but I believe that the querent wanted to reorganize and reorder the items inside the "folder," as in Jellby's post, above and that's the part where the cow eats the cabbage--trying to "fool" with an NCX out of order.

See what I mean?

Hitch