Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 04:33 AM   #1
enverhoxha
enverhoxha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Paperwhite - resolution vs speed

I want to buy a Kindle Paperwhite (because I could use the built-in lighting) but I'm worried that its 300 ppi resolution could slow it down a bit. The basic Kindle 8 has the same processor and the same RAM, but four times less pixels - so I wonder whether it's not faster.

My 5-year old Kindle Touch has a delay when changing pages and especially when accessing one of Kindle's dictionaries. I was hoping that the most recent generation doesn't suffer from this, Paperwhite included.
enverhoxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm surprised no one answered you. You might have better luck in the Kindle forum.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by enverhoxha View Post
I want to buy a Kindle Paperwhite (because I could use the built-in lighting) but I'm worried that its 300 ppi resolution could slow it down a bit. The basic Kindle 8 has the same processor and the same RAM, but four times less pixels - so I wonder whether it's not faster.

My 5-year old Kindle Touch has a delay when changing pages and especially when accessing one of Kindle's dictionaries. I was hoping that the most recent generation doesn't suffer from this, Paperwhite included.
I have the Touch and the Kindle 8 Basic (New Touch) and the Kindle 8 seems a bit "snappier." But neither seems slow to me, so I'm probably not the one to ask. Besides, the Kindle 8 is not 300 ppi, so it really doesn't apply. I really don't think it's going to make that much difference.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My first justification for having excessive readers!

I had a kindle8 and Paperwhite 3 side by side. Same ebook, WiFi and light turned off. Repeated tests showed that the Paperwhite lagged slightly behind the kindle8 in page turns. I think you would notice it if you had a lot of illustrations, but for your every day novel, not likely. The lag is slight.

With the new bolding feature (on both units), the DPI probably won't make a difference. So it is really a choice between having light feature or not.

I should add that I only have a dozen books on each reader. If I had 1000, my results could be different. I'll try putting 1000 on my k8 and report back when it is done indexing.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-18-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My first justification for having excessive readers!

I had a kindle8 and Paperwhite 3 side by side. Same ebook, WiFi and light turned off. Repeated tests showed that the Paperwhite lagged slightly behind the kindle8 in page turns. I think you would notice it if you had a lot of illustrations, but for your every day novel, not likely. The lag is slight.

With the new bolding feature (on both units), the DPI probably won't make a difference. So it is really a choice between having light feature or not.

I should add that I only have a dozen books on each reader. If I had 1000, my results could be different. I'll try putting 1000 on my k8 and report back when it is done indexing.
See you in 3 days.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Whatever the lag it has to be less than the lag of turning a page of a paper book which I never notice while reading. Doing a global search of all your books will have a noticeable delay for results but not simply going to the next page.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Whatever the lag it has to be less than the lag of turning a page of a paper book which I never notice while reading. Doing a global search of all your books will have a noticeable delay for results but not simply going to the next page.
You must be a faster paper page turner than I am. When I decide to turn the page, I have to reach up, grab the edge of the page turn it over to the other side of the book and move my eyes from the bottom right of the book to the top left. There is a noticeable time involved in that. Not "lag", but it takes time. Turning pages on my Aura H2O with firmware 4.7.10413, the page turns in roughly the same time it takes to move my eyes from the bottom right to the top left of the screen. The other devices are roughly the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote