Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #256
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yeah. I think it makes that folder mate.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #257
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
A friend has got a new K5NT (the "basic Kindle", latest model) -- no jailbreak etc.
Before beginning with the task of installing jailbreak, KULA and so on, may I ask whether anyone got librerator work on K5 NT yet? This will be the only reason to install jailbreak in the first place.
(I checked the thread but apart from the same question on the first page, I could not find a message related to this)
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #258
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevent View Post
A friend has got a new K5NT (the "basic Kindle", latest model) -- no jailbreak etc.
Before beginning with the task of installing jailbreak, KULA and so on, may I ask whether anyone got librerator work on K5 NT yet? This will be the only reason to install jailbreak in the first place.
(I checked the thread but apart from the same question on the first page, I could not find a message related to this)
There is no such thing here as a "K5 Non-Touch" -
The K5 (from the firmware version number they show in the 'settings' menu) come in two flavors (both of them touch screen):
K5-Touch
K5-Paperwhite

"basic Kindle, latest model" then translates to:
K4 (Black)
Not a touch screen, has a 5-way control button center bottom, flanked on either side by two more buttons (each side).

Please see: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
scroll down for the table.

(Let me guess, your in Russia? We had someone else recently ... )

Last edited by knc1; 08-13-2013 at 12:17 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #259
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Knc1: Got it, sorry and many thanks! Nope, not Russia this time will go on with the installation then...
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #260
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Please help. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

I installed Librerator, opened a book (large scanned pdf), tried highlighting, some zoom and rotate options, then go to page 1. When I tried to rotate it back to portrait the page became empty with some scattered dashes at the top and the bottom, and when I pressed home button the entire screen got covered with strips of scattered dashes. None of the buttons workd, the screen flashed, but only a different pattern of scattered dashes came up. Is this what bricked means?
When I turned off the power and then turned it back on, I still saw scattered dashes. When I reconnected the kindle to the computer, the screen went blank (instead of the usual picture), but the charge light was on, and Windows showed that all the directories were there.

I don't know if it matters, but I'll describe exactly what I installed. This is kindle DXG with 2.5.8 firmware. I copied this file update_jailbreak_0.11.N_dxg_install.bin into the user root, disconnected the kindle and did Menu>Settings>Menu>Update. Got "The update was not successful". When I reconnected the kindle, the bin file I copied disappeared from view.
Then I repeated the process with update_launchpad_0.0.1c_dxg_install.bin, this time the update was reported successful. The bin file disappeared, but a folder "launchpad" appeared instead, no folder "customupdates" though. I created "customupdates" manually, copied librerator-R2.zip into it, disconnected the kindle. When at the home screen pressed Shift-Shift-I quickly, waited a minute, Shift-Shift-Space quickly, waited a minute, Shift-L-L. First two times the names of the keys I pressed appeared briefly at the bottom left corner of the screen followed by the word "Success".
After Shift-L-L I saw the list of files from My Documents, which is where I selected that ill-fated book (Eisenhart's Treatise from here http://en.bookfi.org/book/1094475)
Jedidiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #261
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rotation.

hmm.

Is that supported on PDFS?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=249
(few posts back maybe?) Supposedly so.

To fix: Hold power button for 20 seconds.

(that's a hard restart)

Can't see anything you have done "wrong" TBH

see if the restart gets it

Last edited by twobob; 08-14-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #262
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Thanks, it worked! It came back to Amazon's home screen, but the last collection I created before installation got dissolved. When I recreated the collection it went to the bottom of the collections screen instead of the top. Also I just noticed there is a Kite folder on the kindle even though I never used kite.

But now I am afraid to start the Librerator again (maybe it's still running somehow, I don't know). Is there a way to avoid what happened, or at least something worse happening? Was it because the file was too big (Amazon was very slow turning pages in it)? I also found this in the KPV thread:

"Kindle DX(G): The device hasn't that much RAM. Leaving Amazon's framework running, you may experience funny restarts and similar stuff. We added a launchpad sequence for you that will shut down Amazon's framework (fast) and restart it when you quit kindlepdfviewer (slow). Press launchpad sequence Shift-P-K (for "Kill framework") in order to do that. If you happen to get a cluttered screen, please try to restart Amazon framework by issuing launchpad command Shift-P-R (for "Restart framework") "

Does it apply to Librerator, should I have done that?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #263
twobob

A) It's not still running anymore. The reset really killed the process. For sure.

B) if you can kill the framework safely then sobeit. Give that a try.
(requires launchpad installed IIRC)

C) you can try liberator again. no qualms there. Just reset if it freaks.

D) The kite folder will be when you extracted the zip. It can be safely deleted.

E) Huge pdf files kill kindles. Even the swanky new ones. You can either split the pdf into manageable chunks. Or use a 3rd party thingy to resize/remungle it the way you want it BEFORE you read it on the device. Those are your choices.

Hope it helps
Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #264
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@Jedidiyah

I'm sorry about the problems you had with Librerator. There is a sequence to kill the framework before starting Librerator, and to restart the framework after you exit in Librerator too.

Shift-L-K - Kill framework and start Librerator
Shift-L-R - restart framework

As @twobob said, you should always be able to do a hard reset holding power for 20 sec, but I can't guarantee anything, so... use at your own risk.

Kite folder is made during the installation of Librerator, to make installation easier for Kite users. If you don't use kite, you can delete it, but it won't cause any problems even if you don't. It just contains conf file for Kite, not the full Kite install.

I hope it helps.

@twobob
Rotation is supported for pdf, djvu, cbz and jpg files (those handeled by pdfreader and djvureader). It's not supported for formats handled by crereader, because at the time, rotating to landscape in crereader caused the document to always be displayed in 2 columns, which ruined link following. Since crereader formats are all reflowable, I considered it unneeded and thus removed it. It just reports it's not supported in the infobox and doesn't cause any trouble, though.

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by Kai771; 08-15-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #265
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice @twobob and @Kai771.

To make sure I understand: press Shift-L-K instead of Shift-L-L to start Librerator w/o the Amazon framework running?
Is it safer or less safe to do that (I undestand that there is a risk either way)? Should I try Shift-L-R before hard reset if I get the "cluttered screen" again?

Concerning rotation, from my brief experience it seemed that it was not automatic, maybe because the file was too big. I kind of liked the automatic one in Amazon because I usually skim through books in portrait, and then turn to landscape when I find relevant parts that need more careful reading.

I didn't know about large pdf's. I think I read somewhere in this thread or KPV thread that it's faster with pdf's than Amazon, so that's why I tried that file. Does Kindle Keyboard really have more RAM than Kindle DXG, seems counterintuitive?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #266
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, instead of Shift-L-L. It is safer since the Amazon framework undergoes a clean shutdown, rather than being cut in the middle by the user hard-resetting the device.

The K3 (KK) is a newer design than the DX and does indeed have more RAM. And a noticeably faster CPU (again K4, K5 and KPW have even more faster CPUs). The KDX is the only device that has a rotation sensor, I think - on all other devices you're supposed to manually toggle rotation. I'm not sure how well Librerator can cope with the sensor.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #267
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast

I went in and out of the Librerator several times now without any problems. Created folders, moved some files around, renamed them, very nice! Also tried epub and fb2, very happy that the search woks for non-English characters, that's convenient for me. Keyboard shortcuts make life much easier. At first I stayed away from pdf files, but eventually tried them too except that huge one I opened originally. Everything worked fine on smaller ones, but yes, rotation is not automatic.

Two questions:
1) How do I reset time without connecting to wireless (it's been off since the hard reset)?
2) How can I apply custom zoom settings in pdf to the whole book and save them? I could only apply zoom-to-fit settings, and custom zoom reverts to the last zoom-to-fit setting after turning the page. I tried exiting and then reentering documents, and pressing something called ''reset default reader settings", but it didn't work. In zoom-to-fit's the font is still too small for my eyes.

I also noticed two minor bugs:
* Calculator does not recognize LN as valid input, but executes LOG as LN. So LOG(e) returns 1 (the correct answer is 0.434...) and LOG(10) is 2.30... instead of 1.
* Screen rotation does work in epub and fb2, not through the menus, but by pressing J and K. The result is displayed in two columns, but the Next Page (>) button stops working. Previous Page (<) and 10 pages forward/backward by joystick are still working and the layout is preserved. But to go to the next page you have to unrotate it, or go 10 pages forward and 9 backward.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #268
twobob

huh interesting.

There are other calculators.

The other bugs are open source so you could have a play?

Glad you got it going.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #269
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedidiyah
Everything worked fine on smaller ones, but yes, rotation is not automatic.
Yeah, Librerator doesn't pay attention to the rotation sensor in KDX.

Quote:
1) How do I reset time without connecting to wireless (it's been off since the hard reset)?
You should be able to do this:
- In original Kindle software, press Home to go to the Home page.
- Press the Menu button and Go to Settings.
- On the 2nd page of Settings (hit the page turn button to get to 2nd page), you'll see "Device Time". Go in and set it there.

Quote:
2) How can I apply custom zoom settings in pdf to the whole book and save them?
Just in case you didn't know (because most new users don't), please check out this page:

https://github.com/kai771/kindlepdfv...User%27s-Guide

Pay attention to Essentials section - setting bbox and using Fit-to-content-width. Most people read PDFs in this way. If this doesn't suit you, please post again, and we'll discuss some other solution. (I don't have the Kindle with me atm to try out custom zoom, which I rarely (if ever) use).

Quote:
* Calculator does not recognize LN as valid input, but executes LOG as LN. So LOG(e) returns 1 (the correct answer is 0.434...) and LOG(10) is 2.30... instead of 1.
Thank you for reporting the bug. I don't use calculator at all, I use kindle to read books, and calculator is inhereted as is from KPV. I have no plans of issuing a new version of Librerator, but if I do, I will fix this (and other reported bugs).

Quote:
* Screen rotation does work in epub and fb2, not through the menus, but by pressing J and K. The result is displayed in two columns, but the Next Page (>) button stops working. Previous Page (<) and 10 pages forward/backward by joystick are still working and the layout is preserved. But to go to the next page you have to unrotate it, or go 10 pages forward and 9 backward.
It seems I forgot to remove the keyboard shortcut commands for rotation from crereader. Please just don't use.

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by Kai771; 08-17-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #270
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771
Pay attention to Essentials section - setting bbox and using Fit-to-content-width.
Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted, my bad, should have read the manual. What I was trying to do originally was making the page look the way I wanted with custom zoom and joystick, and then trying to save that as bbox. The curious part is that it can actually work. Once per file. The first time a file is opened bbox can be reset after custom zooming by pressing Shift-X and joystick down twice. Whatever fit on the screen before pressing Shift-X becomes the new bbox. Repeating the process does not re-reset the bbox however, unless "remove manually set bbox" is done first. Moving lines is more precise, so I don't know if anybody would want to use this.
I also discovered that gamma correction darkens the text, so with that and bbox I can now read almost all pdf and djvu in portrait zoomed to content height, no scrolling, which is sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771
On the 2nd page of Settings (hit the page turn button to get to 2nd page), you'll see "Device Time". Go in and set it there.
They must have added this in Kindle Keyboard. My settigs page is just one page (attached) and no Device Time on it, I was hoping that Librerator could do it. If I do connect to wireless and Amazon sees jailbreak, launchpad and Librerator, what happens?

I had some problems with djvu files. Two of the five files I tried Librerator had trouble opening. One of them (type "Lyapunov matrix" in http://bib.tiera.ru search box, it comes up first) was fine at first, but then "go to page" stopped working, and eventually all other buttons except Home and Alt-Back (thankfully!). In the other one (type "Optimal Control 1998" in http://bib.tiera.ru) the "opening document" box lasted forever until I pressed Home, which kind of opened it with blank page and buttons not working. The first file also became like that on the second opening, but some buttons did work after force opening it with Home, and I could see some of the pages after pressing R and switching to black and white. Those are not particularly large files (1.3 and 6.3 Mb), exiting Librerator and restarting kindle didn't help. Any idea what might cause this behavior? On the other hand, the djvu version (3.2Mb) of the book that messed me up originally worked flawlessly: much faster, no issues.

As a side note, attempting to open docx (I accidentally saved Librerator's manual in docx, which I thought was doc) knocks out Librerator. No cluttered screens or unresponsiveness, works like pressing Alt-Home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-58719.gif
Views:	306
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	109629  

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader