Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Lenovo announces new 5", 7" and 10" tablets.

I've been busy working, writing and trying to catch up by Christmas so as to take a week off in the warm waters somewhere, but I still take the time to watch the Chinese market.

I already knew about the 5" device but not the rest.

Lenovo unveils three new Android tablets--5, 7, and 10 inchers
S2005, S2007, S2010 tablets
Will reach Chinese Consumer Market next month, and then if they follow the path of the Lenovo A1 will be in Russia shortly after, and then be released to the rest of the world.

The 7" and 5" are particularly interesting.
The 7" has an IPS display (like an iPhone)
The 5" has an LTPS display (178 degree viewing angle - pretty good)

Nothing on price yet.

The new axiom is "Tablets are Readers" and "Readers are Tablets."

I like the way this market is going!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-573...?tag=cnetRiver

http://tablet-news.com/2011/11/29/le...7s2010-slates/

http://liliputing.com/2011/11/lenovo...d-tablets.html
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
That 7" might be better than the Lenovo A1 with that IPS screen.

Does it have a GPS chip?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
5" is an interesting size. I wasn't sure about it at first; but after handling a Galaxy Player 5, I must say that I love the 5" display. I ordered both sizes of the Galaxy Player (4" & 5") on Thanksgiving and they finally arrived yesterday. My original plan was to keep one and send the other one back. Now I'm keeping both.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
5" is an interesting size. I wasn't sure about it at first; but after handling a Galaxy Player 5, I must say that I love the 5" display. I ordered both sizes of the Galaxy Player (4" & 5") on Thanksgiving and they finally arrived yesterday. My original plan was to keep one and send the other one back. Now I'm keeping both.
Hey, Hey. You are the MAN!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Am I the only one who has long since reached a state of "giant Who Cares" any time an announcement is made for yet another Android-based tablet?

What differentiates these devices, anyway? The only one I see benefitting are the guys at Google. How are manufacturers standing out? Whether I buy a Samsung tablet, or a Sony, or a Motorola, or a Lenovo, does it really make a difference (assuming they all run the same version)? How will Lenovo convince me to buy their tablets over the others? Why should I give a shit that they are even making one? All these guys are spending millions of dollars in making these devices, 90% of which will not sell in significant enough numbers to justify the expense and time.

So again - how is anyone other than Google benefitting from these slew of Android tablets?
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
What differentiates these devices, anyway?
$$$

$190 convinced me to get the Acer A100.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Am I the only one who has long since reached a state of "giant Who Cares" any time an announcement is made for yet another Android-based tablet?

What differentiates these devices, anyway? The only one I see benefitting are the guys at Google. How are manufacturers standing out? Whether I buy a Samsung tablet, or a Sony, or a Motorola, or a Lenovo, does it really make a difference (assuming they all run the same version)? How will Lenovo convince me to buy their tablets over the others? Why should I give a shit that they are even making one? All these guys are spending millions of dollars in making these devices, 90% of which will not sell in significant enough numbers to justify the expense and time.

So again - how is anyone other than Google benefitting from these slew of Android tablets?
You benefit as they make the products newer and better and even better.
I am enjoying this rush of products. I now see the Amazon-Lenovo shortage of the Lenovo A1s which delayed me from getting one as a blessing.

I would love to have the screens the Lenovo newest S200x are going to have. Maybe I should just sit on my credit card until Christmas or after Christmas to see what even newer and better products are coming.
IPS, LTPS, AMOLED.

Afa, all life is a blessing. Lots of toys only add to it.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
All these guys are spending millions of dollars in making these devices, 90% of which will not sell in significant enough numbers to justify the expense and time.
If this would be true, then they wouldn't keep making them, or the business would fail.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$$$

$190 convinced me to get the Acer A100.
That is admittedly a good price, but I assume it's a device with lower specs than some? Seems to me that most "full-featured" tablets cost more or less in the same ballpark as the iPad's $499.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You benefit as they make the products newer and better and even better.
I am enjoying this rush of products. I now see the Amazon-Lenovo shortage of the Lenovo A1s which delayed me from getting one as a blessing.

I would love to have the screens the Lenovo newest S200x are going to have. Maybe I should just sit on my credit card until Christmas or after Christmas to see what even newer and better products are coming.
IPS, LTPS, AMOLED.

Afa, all life is a blessing. Lots of toys only add to it.
That's true, I'm sure, but wouldn't you rather have lots of *different* toys? I wouldn't be happy with repeatedly getting the same toy in a different packaging.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
If this would be true, then they wouldn't keep making them, or the business would fail.
Well, this market is too new to claim the profitability is evident by the mere existence of tablets. If everyone and their brother is still making 3 different tablet models 5 years from now, then we can assume they would only do it because it works. Until then, I remain skeptical.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Well, this market is too new to claim the profitability is evident by the mere existence of tablets. If everyone and their brother is still making 3 different tablet models 5 years from now, then we can assume they would only do it because it works. Until then, I remain skeptical.
HP thought that it was enough time to decide.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Well Microsoft seem to be doing well out of it

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...to-wake-up.ars
Quote:
“More important, today’s announcement means that companies accounting for over half of all Android devices have now entered into patent license agreements with Microsoft,” they claim.

According to charts in the blog post, 55 percent of Android devices by worldwide revenue are subject to patent license agreements between Microsoft and original design manufacturers, such as Compal. Moreover, 53 percent of Android smartphones by unit share in the United States are subject to patent license agreements between Microsoft and original equipment manufacturers, such as Samsung and HTC.

In any case, it’s a lot. Some have concluded that Microsoft makes more money from Android than from its own Windows Phones, and HTC reportedly pays Microsoft $5 for each Android phone it sells. Google, meanwhile, distributes Android (at least the smartphone version) as open source software.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Anyone know what they prices might be in american dollars & cents? They look like they might be what I wanting! AND what movie Formats...didnt see that!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
That is admittedly a good price, but I assume it's a device with lower specs than some? Seems to me that most "full-featured" tablets cost more or less in the same ballpark as the iPad's $499.
great specs. Only drawbacks are an average screen and shortish battery life. Almost pulled the trigger on it myself.

I figure there will be a no-compromise machine at the 200 price point before too long.

I really don't understand why Google requires cameras and GPS to access the app market. Really seems like they're stifling the viability of inexpensive tablets that would in turn buy apps from them.

Jesus, I have no idea why anyone would want a camera on a 7 inch tablet, much less the 2 they require. (Okay, I guess I get video calls, but seems more like a perk than a necessity)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote