Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Buying a used kindle?

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question that I was wondering if Kindle users could help me with.

I am thinking about buying a used Kindle 2. What sort of things do I need to be on the lookout for?

Is buying a used Kindle 2 foolish? What sort of discount should I ask if it was bought in February?

And lastly, is it possible to buy a squaretrade warranty for a Kindle 2 that is a couple months old?

Thanks,

Nathan
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm probably going to be selling my Kindle 2 in the next few days. It's in perfect condition, and will come with a leather case AND the warranty that you can get from Amazon (it's transferable.)

I was planning on selling it all for about $375 (the warranty and cover are worth $95). I promised to give a friend first crack, but if you're interested and he says no than you're welcome to it.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
O.S.F
O.S.F is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2/DX
Thumbs up

Soory wrong place...

Last edited by O.S.F; 06-10-2009 at 08:02 PM.
O.S.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question that I was wondering if Kindle users could help me with.

I am thinking about buying a used Kindle 2. What sort of things do I need to be on the lookout for?

Is buying a used Kindle 2 foolish? What sort of discount should I ask if it was bought in February?

And lastly, is it possible to buy a squaretrade warranty for a Kindle 2 that is a couple months old?

Thanks,

Nathan
Buying used is not a bad way to get new technology. Many Kindle 2 owners may be upgrading to the DX and will want to sell their current device. I have found ebay to be an excellent way to obtain used goods in excellent condition. You need to do your homework and ensure that the seller has a good reputation and had Sold items at or above that value with good results.

Craigslist is an even better way because you can meet the seller and actually see the device. You just need to have the device available for sale in your area.

Good luck.
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Excellent question. Unfortunately, you didn't get any good responses except for radamo. I still would like to know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea. What is the life expectancy of a Kindle 2? What would you say is a good price for a used, unblemished Kindle 2?
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy View Post
Excellent question. Unfortunately, you didn't get any good responses except for radamo. I still would like to know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea. What is the life expectancy of a Kindle 2? What would you say is a good price for a used, unblemished Kindle 2?
Whether it is a good idea or not is highly up to the individual. Many people are uncomfortable buying used gear no matter the condition. Others relish being able to obtain a lightly used piece of tech gear for considerably less than new.

As far as how much to spend I have seen the Kindle 1's go for as little as $150 (not many) up to the $275 range... Most seem to be going for about $250. The Kindle 2's probably will not be selling for much under $325 unless one gets really lucky.

RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
I bought a used Kindle 2...

Yes, I bought a used Kindle 2 from someone wishing to upgrade to a DX. I actually canceled the DX that I had ordered. The price was right.

The unit came with a leather cover and absolutely no external blemishes, which I was able to ascertain since I bought it via a local Craigslist ad.

So far, other than disappointment with battery life, it seems very good.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
I don't have the answers to all of your questions, but I just looked up Kindle 2s being sold on our local Craigslist and there is one listed (2 weeks old) for $330. I would imagine those upgrading to the DX might want to part with their K2s.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
I don't have the answers to all of your questions, but I just looked up Kindle 2s being sold on our local Craigslist and there is one listed (2 weeks old) for $330. I would imagine those upgrading to the DX might want to part with their K2s.
I'd be skeptical of the 2 weeks old one; it's probably a lie. Amazon will take it back for full refund for at least 30 days. My friend who bought a K2 returned hers when it was 3 weeks old because the DX was announced. She was already attached to the e-ink technology and been having a hard time since the DX was not delivered to her until yesterday and she returned her K2 almost 2 months ago!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Thank you

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. I appreciate it a lot.

Does anyone have experience with buying a squaretrade warranty? Do you know if it possible to buy one for a used Kindle?

Thanks!

Nathan
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Tomek
Enthusiast
Tomek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I sold mine on eBay the same day DX was announced. With Amazon's $35 cover but no extended warranty it sold for $350. Honestly I'd personally rather pay the extra $45 and get a brand new one from Amazon because you get 30 days to evaluate and potentially return it. But I'm sure glad there are people who are willing to buy used at that price point
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
For the small difference in price I would not buy used myself. Brand new from Amazon has the warranty and you don't have to wonder how the device was treated. An exception would be buying from someone you personally know.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Wink Warranty is on the Kindle...

... and NOT the original purchaser, so anyone who buys a Kindle will also enjoy all the warranty benefits up to 1 year.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I'd be skeptical of the 2 weeks old one; it's probably a lie. Amazon will take it back for full refund for at least 30 days. My friend who bought a K2 returned hers when it was 3 weeks old because the DX was announced. She was already attached to the e-ink technology and been having a hard time since the DX was not delivered to her until yesterday and she returned her K2 almost 2 months ago!
I'm sceptical of anything sold on Craigslist, except for my own stuff....anyone want to buy a UK fridge?
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I have no problem buying used, but I didn't with the K2 because I didn't get enough of a discount out of it to make it worth the trouble. I'd say you should easily be able to get 10% off the list price plus a free cover from most people selling, but I'd hold out for a better deal than that. For me, $275-$300 with free cover would be a good price worth buying at, not more.

BTW my secret to buying used is not to shop on ebay, but to look on craigslist. Folks are willing to bargain on price there like they can't on ebay. If you search on google for Kindle 2 site:craigslist.org you'll see everyone nationwide who is selling, then you just need to find someone willing to ship it. That's how I bought my original PRS-500 and several other items for less than what I could find it on ebay for.

NEVER PAY VIA WESTERN UNION OR ANYTHING BUT PAYPAL TO A VERIFIED USER.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote