Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #76
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Oh I agree cross platform "would" be better, I just don't want to invest the time right now to write that myself . I was thinking of a quick and dirty plugin to meet my needs...

Plus there is a usability issue. With a separate spawned explorer window, I can happily click to view books in both it and Calibre independently, so I can quickly see for instance if I already have the v5 of an EPUB in my library. Now unless this search window from Calibre was modeless (I guess must be possible, though it raises all sorts of issues) you can't do that.

It was just a random thought. I'm not going to start another big heavy plugin development right now.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #77
nickdma
Enthusiast
nickdma began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
workflow automation

I had an idea for a plugin that I'm not sure is possible.

Many of us take a sequence of steps when say adding a new book. It would be cool if we could somehow define a sequence of actions to perform.

For example:
- strip metadata, tags,series,description
- run the isbn search plugin
- run goodreadssync and link with book
- use calibre metadata fetch
- open metadata dialog

So when I add a book, I can run a "new book" macro and perform those repetative steps.
nickdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #78
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@nickdma - Possible? I "think" so, it might be a little fragile as you would have to have such a plugin have intimate details of the other plugins it is calling so if their API changed it would have to as well.

Just a question - what do you do in the "strip metadata, tags,series,description" step? The others are all plugins, but that sounds rather bespoke and manual?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #79
nickdma
Enthusiast
nickdma began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Just a question - what do you do in the "strip metadata, tags,series,description" step? The others are all plugins, but that sounds rather bespoke and manual?
It may not be needed, but sometimes it seems like if the book has metadata in some of those fields, it influences the results of a fetch metadata.

I generally like to start with a blank-slate, and use goodreads to fetch all the metadata.

That, and it was an example for the sake of an example

I generally only wipe those fields if when I bring up the metadata form, they're not what I'd expect. Then I'll nuke them and do a re-download. If it was easy to nuke them before a CTRL-D, I probably would.

I know from discussions with you, as well as reading from others, everyone's got a workflow, and those with large libraries are obviously collectors, with probably a backlog of unprocessed books who would love some way of automating their workflow.

As you said though, it would require some form of api between plugins. However, as plugins are relatively new, if it's deemed desirable to have plugins control each other, then the smart people will start building API's into them, and others will follow as things mature

It may be the sort of thing that's too complex for the average user, but then again, I've seen the talented people working on calibre and these plugins make some complex things pretty easy for the average user to work with.
nickdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #80
eltator
eltator began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about implementing a plugin to upload books to a server. The main practical use I see for this is that some iPhone/ iPad applications (Cloudreaders, for example) can start an HTTP server so you can upload books to the application throught a POST request. Although it's a bit slow, I found this solution an easy way to upload content to the iPad without connecting it to the computer.

Is there any plugin available that already offers this functionality? If there is no one, could I implement it as a Device Driver plugin or should I implement it as a GUI driver plugin?

Thanks!
eltator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #81
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hi eltator, welcome to MobileRead.

I guess the question that comes to mind is whether you have already looked into the content server features of Calibre. Could you not use that to download books to your iPad via your browser?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #82
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I was curious if it would be possible to review the metadata in ePub files and populate a column with (if present) the version of calibre used to convert the file?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #83
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hey Walt, it certainly would be possible to create a plugin that does that. My question would be what if any other functionality would people want to see related to ePub metadata outside of just copying the calibre version out of it?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #84
eltator

Quote:
Hi eltator, welcome to MobileRead.

I guess the question that comes to mind is whether you have already looked into the content server features of Calibre. Could you not use that to download books to your iPad via your browser?
Hi kiwidude,

Yes, I've look for that solution but the problem is that when I import documents into Cloudreaders from Safari they appear with strange names (seems like Cloudreaders is using the name of the file as document title and its something like pg847sjd.pdf) and I found it completely useless.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #85
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@eltator - yes I can see how that would be an issue particularly for PDFs in terms of internal metadata support. And as PDFs are the most likely reason to be reading books on an iPad we can't give our usual "PDF sucks, use something else" response

I don't (yet) have an iPad, but can you not share a folder wirelessly from it with your PC? Then just use the normal "Save to Disk" functionality in Calibre? I know there is DropBox available for the iPad so you could definitely do it that way. That would preserve the filenames etc.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #86
eltator

Quote:
I don't (yet) have an iPad, but can you not share a folder wirelessly from it with your PC? Then just use the normal "Save to Disk" functionality in Calibre? I know there is DropBox available for the iPad so you could definitely do it that way. That would preserve the filenames etc.
Yes, of course I could do that. And that's nearly the approach I'm taking at the moment: I save to disk all the books I want to import, start server at Cloudreaders and execute a shell script that uploads all the books to the iPad using curl application. But I'm sooo lazy that even opening a shell outside Calibre is a problem for me.

Your approach is fine, but my perfect solution would be to upload the books from the context menu of Calibre. I know it's a very specific problem (mainly a lazyness problem ) but I will be very happy if I can upload the books to iPad right from Calibre. I've made a little prototype and I have an alpha version of the plugin nearly finished...
Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #87
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@eltator - great to hear you have made progress. As I said above I don't have an iPad (a long story I won't bore this thread with) but one day my turn may arrive on the waiting list in which case I will be looking to push books onto it myself. So my questions were both to ensure you had explored all the options in case it saved you some effort, and if you had tried them understand why I will be looking for your plugin when it appears
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #88
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I'm not sure if a plugin for this already exists. I tried reading this thread and kept wandering off looking for plugins people said they were working on. I'm now using the Quality Check, Book Sync, and Goodreads plugins.

I'd like a plugin that would be able to tell if I've finished reading a book based on the % read as collected by the Kindle "Fetch annotations" feature. Marking it read as of the date that it fetches that information would be even spiffier.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #89
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Gwen,

Of course you are using the Kindle Collections plugin too, right? Compulsory as a Kindle owner I would have thought. Oh, and the Plugin Updater plugin to make sure you easily pickup the updates...

To answer your request. There is a couple of threads/posts you will want to take a look at. First this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=137

Then this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123179

I would try on those threads (or the forum they are in) if you want to head down that path. I have never tried it myself so can't vouch for how well it works, limitations etc but I am sure pchrist7 will be happy to help you out with that if you post there.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #90
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
@Gwen,

Of course you are using the Kindle Collections plugin too, right? Compulsory as a Kindle owner I would have thought. Oh, and the Plugin Updater plugin to make sure you easily pickup the updates...
The Plugin Updater looks useful and I'll be sure to add that . I don't use the Kindle Collections Plugin because I don't use the collections tagging. I find Calibre manages things well enough that I only want a few books on my Kindle at a time and I can find everything sorting by reading date and using the Metadata Plugboards.

Still, a good suggestion for other Kindle users reading this thread.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development