Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
I'm only talking about the desktop reader on OSX - I don't have a Kobo. Thanks
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just explored the contents of the SQLite database on the OSX reader. No way to rebuild the epub file without a lot of work. Still makes no sense.
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
I'm only talking about the desktop reader on OSX - I don't have a Kobo. Thanks
Sorry about that. Some of these threads go on and on. I am easily confused.
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #19
stodge
Groupie

No worries - I appreciate the replies.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
stodge
Groupie

Hmm I can't seem to most download books from the website. I can either read them now or view a preview.
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
pkhunter
pkhunter began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Simply log back into your Kobo (or Borders) account and download EPUB versions of your purchased books.

Where do I do this? I would like to access my books (as ePUB) and my documents as PDF, I suppose.

Thanks!
pkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Go to http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html

This takes you to Kobo's "My Purchased Items" area; a list of all books you have bought from Kobo. Next to most (if not all books) will be either a button "ADOBE DRM EPUB" or "DOWNLOAD EPUB".

Clicking the "ADOBE DRM EPUB" will download an ACSM file, which in turn when you open that file will launch ADE (Adobe Digitai Edition) to download the DRM protected ePub.

Clicking the "DOWNLOAD EPUB" will download an ePub directly; it is possible that this will not download with the epub extension but rather with a ZIP extension. If it does have the ZIP extension just rename it to have the ePub extension.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
pkhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Go to http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html

This takes you to Kobo's "My Purchased Items" area; a list of all books you have bought from Kobo. Next to most (if not all books) will be either a button "ADOBE DRM EPUB" or "DOWNLOAD EPUB".

Clicking the "ADOBE DRM EPUB" will download an ACSM file, which in turn when you open that file will launch ADE (Adobe Digitai Edition) to download the DRM protected ePub.

Clicking the "DOWNLOAD EPUB" will download an ePub directly; it is possible that this will not download with the epub extension but rather with a ZIP extension. If it does have the ZIP extension just rename it to have the ePub extension.

This does NOT make any sense, and is the dumbest way this could be managed. I have Kobo and all my books inside it on TWO devices: iPad (which syncs with iTunes) and the desktop reader on my OSX. The books are right here, locally. Why can't I simply see them clearly, like files, instead of ONE BY ONE downloading them from the website? Why? What logic is that? I have paid for each and every single book. They belong to me. The copyright etc logic is BS -- I paid to own the book and the copyright etc allow me to read and consume it in any way I want -- as I could with a real book.

Please, Kobo, inject some basic human common sense into your functionality.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhunter View Post
This does NOT make any sense, and is the dumbest way this could be managed. I have Kobo and all my books inside it on TWO devices: iPad (which syncs with iTunes) and the desktop reader on my OSX. The books are right here, locally. Why can't I simply see them clearly, like files, instead of ONE BY ONE downloading them from the website? Why? What logic is that? I have paid for each and every single book. They belong to me. The copyright etc logic is BS -- I paid to own the book and the copyright etc allow me to read and consume it in any way I want -- as I could with a real book.

Please, Kobo, inject some basic human common sense into your functionality.
How are your Kobo books in iTunes ?
If you are putting them in there, surely you must have downloaded the epub aready

can you clarify what you are trying to do

are your books in iTunes
are your books in Kobo Desktop App
or both
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
I'm also curious as to how your books are in iTunes / synced with iTunes.

If you're using the Kobo iOS app then it does not use iTunes for book storage, they are stored within a folder that resides within the apps bundle. They are NOT stored in a database, but as individual files, pretty sure they have .epub extensions. However, they ARE encrypted, so you cannot simply pull them out of the folder and then put them into any app / device that can handle ePub files.

When you refer to copyright, do you actually mean DRM, e.g.; encryption on the book preventing you from simply copying it to another device / app capable of reading DRM?
If so, then I believe, and I could be wrong, that books are typically DRM'd due to publisher requests.
Even if we did not put DRM on the books we probably would still digitally watermark them. For example, the Pottermore Harry Potter books are DRM free, however, they do contain digital watermarks, so if someone purchases them and decides to upload a torrent of the books, it can be traced back to the purchaser.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
pkhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
...they are stored within a folder that resides within the apps bundle. They are NOT stored in a database, but as individual files, pretty sure they have .epub extensions. However, they ARE encrypted, so you cannot simply pull them out of the folder....

This is exactly my problem.

What I want is simple: I want each and every book that appears in my Kobo interface on the iPad available to me as an ePub file each. WITHOUT downloading them one-by-one from the website (that's ludicrous to expect when one has more than 200 books.)

Where do I do this? Where's the folder of these books in ePub format from which I can copy and then paste elsewhere?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
They are ONLY on the website.... NOT on your iPad; not on your Mac; not on your PC. ONLY on the website.

It's funny; most people seem to have no issue at all with downloading the ePubs via a web-browser...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It may be that most people figure out that they want the ePub files long before they have purchased 200 books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #29
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhunter View Post
This is exactly my problem.

What I want is simple: I want each and every book that appears in my Kobo interface on the iPad available to me as an ePub file each. WITHOUT downloading them one-by-one from the website (that's ludicrous to expect when one has more than 200 books.)

Where do I do this? Where's the folder of these books in ePub format from which I can copy and then paste elsewhere?

Thanks.
I could tell you exactly where the folder is, however, do you expect the files in this folder to be DRM free? If so then they won't be, well, with a few exceptions (Free ebooks and the Harry Potter books). So even if you do pull the files from the device you cannot do anything with them, they are NOT using AdobeDRM, they are kepub files, i.e.; Kobo's own encryption.

If you pull the files off you cannot simply side-load them back via iTunes, well, you can, but they won't be readable as they are encrypted (the app isn't designed to have kepub's files side-loaded, the idea is they are downloaded as part of the library when you sign in to the app)

If you have the files and put on a clean copy of the app and add the files back to the folder where you copied them from, again, they still won't work, the app will not see them (or that was the case when I last tried this), again, it is not designed to work that way.

If you simply want a copy of the encrypted files, which as mentioned above, won't be much use to you, then let me know and I'll tell you, via Private Message under a request not to disclose the location (I'm unsure as to wether telling people where things are stored will be frowned upon, hence why I'm not publicly mentioning it) where to find the files.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #30
pkhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I could tell you exactly where the folder is, however, do you expect the files in this folder to be DRM free? If so then they won't be..

Thanks Sharkus. This is what I wanted to know. So Kobo is not so "free" after all. So much for all the dumb splashes all over their website. I'm tied to their platform.

Yes, could you pls PM me the location of the files.

Thanks.