Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #376
Bergfux
Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle 8 (G000 K905) KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
Take & post a screenshot of your PuTTy window after you have typed "bootm 0xE41000" but before you press "enter"

This should show what kindle was sending over the serial part before you interrupted it

The smart people here might be able to figure out what it means.
Ok here's a screenshot before and after I pressed the enter key.
I hope this will help to solve the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uboot Screenshot.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	164547   Click image for larger version

Name:	uboot Screenshot after.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	164548  

Last edited by Bergfux; 06-18-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Bergfux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #377
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It looks to me that your installed copy of u-boot is corrupt.

What all have you done to this device?
Ah, because u-boot is stored in a hardware write protected area of the eMMC.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #378
Night Rider
Night Rider began at the beginning.

Device: G000K9 KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergfux View Post
Ok here's a screenshot before and after I pressed the enter key.
I hope this will help to solve the problem.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...7&d=1529368474

Same problem here!

Kindle 8th Gen KT3 (G000 K905) with Firmware 5.9.5.
1https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=164548&d=1529369084

Last edited by Night Rider; 06-19-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Night Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #379
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post

Same problem here!

Kindle 8th Gen KT3 (G000 K905) with Firmware 5.9.5.
1https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=164548&d=1529369084
Really?
You where able to duplicate the problem, even the time stamp down to the exact same second?

I think all you duplicated was the image that was posted.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #380
Bergfux
Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Bergfux has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It looks to me that your installed copy of u-boot is corrupt.

What all have you done to this device?
Ah, because u-boot is stored in a hardware write protected area of the eMMC.
When I bought this device it was brand-new.
I just opened it to make the serial connection.
I didn‘t do any hackery stuff on the device before.
Is there maybe a jailbreak protection on newer devices?
I bought it in april this year.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #381
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
I wonder if they removed the diags partition from the KT3 at the same time they added ADB mode?

Edit - nope. but here is the thread the guy reported ADB mode for the KT3, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=74

He says in his posts that he used Diags mode to get to that.

Re-reading in post 79, it looks like he booted to normal mode first, and then touched a certain file, that made diags fall back to ADB?

This is jus a quick read back of that though.

Last edited by coplate; 06-20-2018 at 10:20 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #382
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
He still had a diags part, I ended up updating the rescue pack to handle it . But yeah, once in, it's significantly different than what we're used to. (and, yeah, adb instead of usbnet).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #383
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Describe two things:
1) What key did you hold down while waiting for the "press any key" message?
2) The 1.8volt low-voltage serial to USB converter you used and how you hooked it up.
pictures and reference links please.

- - - - -

Neither of these messages are expected.
(And the first one may mean exactly what it says. Answer the two questions above and we can continue from there.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bad-1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	164592   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	164593  

Last edited by knc1; 06-21-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #384
Bergfux

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Describe two things:
1) What key did you hold down while waiting for the "press any key" message?
2) The 1.8volt low-voltage serial to USB converter you used and how you hooked it up.
pictures and reference links please.

- - - - -

Neither of these messages are expected.
(And the first one may mean exactly what it says. Answer the two questions above and we can continue from there.)
1) To interrupt the boot sequence only the "enter" key works. Any other key won't interrupt it.
2)The serial to USB converter I use is this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mini-FTDI-Ad...0AAOSwnHZYU5l1

I've found something interesting on this website:
http://www.xodustech.com/guides/kind...te-demo-unlock

This tutorial shows how to find out the hexa value (0xE41000) for booting into diagsnostic mode.
instead of the entry "bootcmd=bootm 0xE41000" I have the entry "bootcmd=mmc dev ${mmcdev};if mmc rescan; then run testboot; fi;"

Could there be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	printenv.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	164638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180624_201026.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	164639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180624_201031.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	164640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180624_201036.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	164641  
Old 06-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #385
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
1) To interrupt the boot sequence only the "enter" key works. Any other key won't interrupt it.
2)The serial to USB converter I use is this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mini-FTDI-Ad...0AAOSwnHZYU5l1

I've found something interesting on this website:
http://www.xodustech.com/guides/kind...te-demo-unlock

This tutorial shows how to find out the hexa value (0xE41000) for booting into diagsnostic mode.
instead of the entry "bootcmd=bootm 0xE41000" I have the entry "bootcmd=mmc dev ${mmcdev};if mmc rescan; then run testboot; fi;"

Could there be the problem?

this is really great research, they have started changing things on that device considerably.

Can you try running that command 'diags_boot', or running all those command in order, but also run the 'env' command betweejn the steps, to see if anyhting changes.

you see it runs severla commands before it runs 'bootm $loadaddr - $fdt_addr', lt looks like somewhere in those commands it will set the real value that you need to use, and after that 'rum mmcargs_diags' command, "$loadaddr - $fdt_addr" will be the replacement for 0xe41000 on that sprcific device.

Last edited by coplate; 06-24-2018 at 03:34 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #386
knc1
Going Viral

The adapter you linked to is for 3.3 volt or 5.0 volt low-voltage interface, the Kindle is 1.8 volt.

Recheck all of your connections, because the interface is picking up those long strings from somewhere if you are not the person typing them.

run the command:
env
capture and post the result.

(I am sticking with my first reply, your u-boot installation is corrupt or incomplete. I.E: The first error message is correct.)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #387
Bergfux

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
this is really great research, they have started changing things on that device considerably.

Can you try running that command 'diags_boot', or running all those command in order, but also run the 'env' command betweejn the steps, to see if anyhting changes.

you see it runs severla commands before it runs 'bootm $loadaddr - $fdt_addr', lt looks like somewhere in those commands it will set the real value that you need to use, and after that 'rum mmcargs_diags' command, "$loadaddr - $fdt_addr" will be the replacement for 0xe41000 on that sprcific device.

Hey Guys I have news for you!

I was able to get into diagnostic mode by entering the command:" run diags_boot" in uboot.
The diagnostic mode menu looks different than the menu in this tutorial.
It has a graphical interface and touch is also working. (Maybe a android based subsystem??)
On the "Diagsnostic Mode screen" I enabled the developer mode by click 5 times.
Now on this screen I have several options.
When I select the entry "Reboot or disable Diags" there isn't the option "Exit to login promt" or anything similar to get to the kindle login.
Is there an other way to jailbreak my device, like maybe by the fastboot, USB Download or ADB option? (see in the pictures)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diags_boot.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	164819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_195905.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	164820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_200701.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	164821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_200925.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	164822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_201012.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	164823  
Old 07-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #388
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Bergfux: Yeah, according to what we've been told, either you can connect over ADB straight away, or there's an option in one of the menus that allows you to.

Then you can adb shell and do stuff as usual.

EDIT: Well, it's even in one of your pictures (thanks!): USB Device Mode > ADB .
Old 07-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #389
Bergfux

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Bergfux: Yeah, according to what we've been told, either you can connect over ADB straight away, or there's an option in one of the menus that allows you to.

Then you can adb shell and do stuff as usual.

EDIT: Well, it's even in one of your pictures (thanks!): USB Device Mode > ADB .
Ok fine

Do you know a tutorial to do this with adb shell?
I‘m not very familiar with this .. 😬
Old 07-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #390
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not really, especially if you're on a platform where there might be some extra USB magic needed (because over here, it's as simple as literally typing "adb shell", and there you go, remote shell ^^).

I imagine XDA probably has something relevant, since ADB is part of the Android SDK (specifically, in the module called "platform tools").

Tags
serial jailbreak