Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Tony45
Tony45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Calibre programme doesn't run and I cannot add books

I have used Calibre (64 bit) for years and love the programme. However, it now doesn't run and it doesn't add books. I would greatly appreciate any help in coming up with a solution. Many thanks, Tony

I use version Calibre 3.25 (64 bit). I run a Windows 10 (Home) laptop. I keep up to date with windows updates but I have yet to install the very latest update.

Calibre was running fine until a few days ago. I then uninstalled Calibre, and reinstalled it. Calibre still has the exact same problem. The few plugins that were there before were still there with the fresh install, so it is possible the uninstall didn't get rid of the non-working part of the programme.

I also recreated the books database of 1758 books (it took several hours). That was successful, but as I say, I am unable to add books. The only change I have made to the database is that -- always via Calibre -- I have merged two different versions of the same book into the one directory (drop down menu - Edit metadata> Merge book records> Merge only formats into first selected book delete others). Normally that means adding the epub version to the folder with the .pdf version and deleting the .epub folder. I am careful to only do this via the Calibre menu.

Here are the two Calibre error messages (1 Starting the programme 2 Trying to add books):

1 Starting the programme
calibre, version 3.25.0
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 300, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 238, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 435, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 762, in save_layout_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 612, in save_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 606, in write_state
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 617, in set_pref
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 133, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 129, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 845, in execute
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j6gj96\apsw-3.13.0-r1\src\cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

2 Trying to add books

calibre, version 3.25.0
ERROR: Errors while adding: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the book: Life of a poet
C:\Users\Rosie\Ultimate\Life of a poet.pdf
With error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 399, in add_book
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 224, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1556, in create_book_entry
Tony45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Please try the solutions in this thread then post the results. Start with your anti-virus .

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony45 View Post
I have used Calibre (64 bit) for years and love the programme. However, it now doesn't run and it doesn't add books. I would greatly appreciate any help in coming up with a solution. Many thanks, Tony

I use version Calibre 3.25 (64 bit). I run a Windows 10 (Home) laptop. I keep up to date with windows updates but I have yet to install the very latest update.

Calibre was running fine until a few days ago. I then uninstalled Calibre, and reinstalled it. Calibre still has the exact same problem. The few plugins that were there before were still there with the fresh install, so it is possible the uninstall didn't get rid of the non-working part of the programme.

I also recreated the books database of 1758 books (it took several hours). That was successful, but as I say, I am unable to add books. The only change I have made to the database is that -- always via Calibre -- I have merged two different versions of the same book into the one directory (drop down menu - Edit metadata> Merge book records> Merge only formats into first selected book delete others). Normally that means adding the epub version to the folder with the .pdf version and deleting the .epub folder. I am careful to only do this via the Calibre menu.

Here are the two Calibre error messages (1 Starting the programme 2 Trying to add books):

1 Starting the programme
calibre, version 3.25.0
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 300, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 238, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 435, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 762, in save_layout_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 612, in save_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 606, in write_state
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 617, in set_pref
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 133, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 129, in __setitem__

2 Trying to add books

calibre, version 3.25.0
ERROR: Errors while adding: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the book: Life of a poet
C:\Users\Rosie\Ultimate\Life of a poet.pdf
With error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 399, in add_book
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 224, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1556, in create_book_entry
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you're using Windows Defender AND Controlled Folder Access, you might need to make Calibre an exception in CFA
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
<snip>

I then uninstalled Calibre, and reinstalled it. Calibre still has the exact same problem. The few plugins that were there before were still there with the fresh install, so it is possible the uninstall didn't get rid of the non-working part of the programme.

<snip>
FYI - uninstall only removes the software, it does not remove the configuration folders, which is where per user preference settings, plugins etc are stored, nor the libraries where books and library specific preferences are stored.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Tony45

I'm pretty certain I tried Calibre without an Anti-Virus or Firewall when I was staying somewhere else last week, and realised that Windows was worried about my location (which was nowhere hazardous - it was the Kent countryside!) and unknown to me my profile was made public/ private and unsafe.
One basic question. Is there an easy way to find these messages? I had to look through today's posts to track these down.
Many thanks for the prompt replies. I will try these suggestions over the weekend.
Tony
Old 06-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One basic question. Is there an easy way to find these messages? I had to look through today's posts to track these down.
It's in User CP, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	164383

You'll need to have an active email address in your profile, i.e. not a dead letter box address.

BR
Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
Tony45

Thanks to everyone. This is is now solved. The solution was to update with the very latest version of Windows. Quite why the alert for the new version encouraged me to update by making the previous version dodgy is a mystery. Anyway Calibre runs find ow, as do the plugins and the operation of adding books. Many many thanks for those who helped. Tony
Old 06-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Tony45, I suspect your previous install of Windows had suffered some sort of 'damage', running sfc /scannow might have fixed it.

BR

Tags
book catalog, calibre 3.25, database corrupted, program won't open