Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I have publisher styling enabled, I can change indents with the slider even if indents are off. And an indent of 0 should always be respected no matter the settings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #197
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: iPhone [Hyphen Reader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The first paragraph of each chapter and the first paragraph after a section break should have no indent. The problem is that it does. It does because the indent of 0 is being overridden.
Ah, I see. This is because the Paragraph Indentation setting is always respected, I think. Have you tried Colors & Formatting > Disable Colors & Formatting?
hyphenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #198
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
Ah, I see. This is because the Paragraph Indentation setting is always respected, I think. Have you tried Colors & Formatting > Disable Colors & Formatting?
Yes, I can do that and the text indents are respected. But the problem is that I then cannot change things like the font, the line height, etc.

What needs to be done is a text indent of 0 has to be respected in every situation. Plus, there needs to be an off for each override.

As it stands, it's all or none and neither work well enough.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #199
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Yes, I can do that and the text indents are respected. But the problem is that I then cannot change things like the font, the line height, etc.

What needs to be done is a text indent of 0 has to be respected in every situation. Plus, there needs to be an off for each override.

As it stands, it's all or none and neither work well enough.
You're right. The settings model is one I'm working on improving in coming versions. It can be a little difficult to predict in what scenarios what overrides what. There's also the need to keep things simple enough for users who desire customization and those who are satisfied with only changing the more basic settings.

Either way, thanks for your input!
Old 12-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You're right. The settings model is one I'm working on improving in coming versions. It can be a little difficult to predict in what scenarios what overrides what. There's also the need to keep things simple enough for users who desire customization and those who are satisfied with only changing the more basic settings.

Either way, thanks for your input!
The way to do it for the sliders is a setting of 0 respects the CSS. Indents of 0 should never be overridden.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to help test new versions to see if the customization works so you have have a combination of publisher and user settings as the user wants. I'm using an iPhone 6s and an iPad 4.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #201
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Hello Kyte,

What kind of page turn are you using - scrolling, or page curling? Is this consistent throughout your library?
Sadly its completely inconsistent. I use scrolling. It might happen a couple of times in a book and then only once in the next. Its not happening often enough to be a massive nuisance but I was really wondering if its just me, or others having this too. It does seem to be related to the opening of a book though: for example, i may have opened a new book, and begun to read and a couple or one page in, it will crash. Then when I reopen, no more problems, usually for the entire book, unless I actively close down Hyphen. That is, not even backgrounding.

I could not reproduce it if I tried, but I will pay more attention to when it happens. Its probably "just me". LOL
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #202
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Sadly its completely inconsistent. I use scrolling. It might happen a couple of times in a book and then only once in the next. Its not happening often enough to be a massive nuisance but I was really wondering if its just me, or others having this too. It does seem to be related to the opening of a book though: for example, i may have opened a new book, and begun to read and a couple or one page in, it will crash. Then when I reopen, no more problems, usually for the entire book, unless I actively close down Hyphen. That is, not even backgrounding.

I could not reproduce it if I tried, but I will pay more attention to when it happens. Its probably "just me". LOL
If you do manage to reproduce it, please let me know. Also, what version of iOS are you on? Thanks for detailing the issue.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:02 AM   #203
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
If you do manage to reproduce it, please let me know. Also, what version of iOS are you on? Thanks for detailing the issue.
I'm on 10.2 now, and have reverted to mt 5S - I was on 10.1 on both 5S and 6S. Have not had a problem since writing the above. But, Since I am now sensitised to it, I'll let you know if it happens again.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #204
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Any idea when there will be a new version that fixes the overrides?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #205
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Any idea when there will be a new version that fixes the overrides?
In all honestly, it's very possible that overrides won't be tweaked until the next major version. The current plans are a number of smaller scale changes.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In all honestly, it's very possible that overrides won't be tweaked until the next major version. The current plans are a number of smaller scale changes.
But this is a serious bug as it causes the CSS to be overridden when it should not be. More important than small tweaks as this is a huge deal breaker.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #207
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Quote:
But this is a serious bug as it causes the CSS to be overridden when it should not be. More important than small tweaks as this is a huge deal breaker.
I'm interested in having this fixed as well. It's not a "huge deal breaker" for me. Hyphen is my favorite ereading app for iOS and will continue to be even with this problem. But I would be even happier if Hyphen respected publisher's text-indent without having to give up other customizations. Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #208
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Agreed. FYI, other similar apps like MapleRead do not have this kind of bug.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #209
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have to say, that I am not the only one who feels that you have the priorities wrong and because of this, you may lose users.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 PM   #210
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it really helps. The styling system I'm implementing will allow toggling for properties on an individual level, which I believe will help to remedy this problem.

Tags
ebook, epub, hyphen, ibooks, ios