Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-24-2022, 09:35 PM   #1
Vespero
Vespero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Issues with Second Library

Hello!

So, I made a second library to manage my comics separately from my ebooks (the goal was to easily switch between send-to-device templates but that ended up not working out). The library was created just fine (#1 and #2 are on the same drive even) but actually using it causes problems.

Most of the time (80%?), attempting to do things like alter metadata or add books yields errors:

Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the book: [Book Title Goes Here]
[File Path Goes Here]
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\add.py", line 456, in add_book
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 333, in create_book_entry
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 74, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1740, in create_book_entry
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1439, in set_metadata
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1261, in update_path
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1681, in update_path
File "calibre\db\tables.py", line 133, in set_path
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 935, in execute
apsw.CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
When trying to delete a book, I got this one:

Quote:
calibre, version 5.42.0
ERROR: Unhandled error: Failed to read book data from calibre library. Click "Show details" for more information

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 618, in current_changed
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 605, in get_book_display_info
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 326, in abspath
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 322, in path
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'replace'
The thing is, whenever this happens it doesn't happen on every single item being changed. If I add a bunch of books, usually *some* will get through. In many cases, I can simply retry the action over and over until everything gets through, but this causes errors to pile up and has spawned some unusual behavior in regards to duplicate books being found (even if the books have been removed).

Since adding a second library didn't solve the problem I was hoping it would, I'm most likely abandoning the project, but it's still odd to me and I thought I'd mention it here since it seems like something that other people might run into.

Anyone know what the cause of or fix for this might be?
Vespero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something is preventing calibre from opening its database file. Make sure the library folder is excluded from file syncing programs like onedrive or dropbox etc. And exclude it from antivirus scans, and make sure it is on a disk with an ntfs filesystem, not a networked filesystem/nas/samba/etc.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
Vespero
Vespero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something is preventing calibre from opening its database file. Make sure the library folder is excluded from file syncing programs like onedrive or dropbox etc. And exclude it from antivirus scans, and make sure it is on a disk with an ntfs filesystem, not a networked filesystem/nas/samba/etc.
It IS actually on a network drive (a samba share)

Huh, it's odd to me that one library would be affected but another would not.

Thanks for your help
Vespero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
deleted as no problems after restarting Calibre; problem could have been because of updating plugin & not do a restart before use.

Last edited by crane3; 05-28-2022 at 02:38 PM. Reason: deleted
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
libraries