Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
Ghod
Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nook HD+, Nook Personal Touch, Nook Personal Touch with Glo
Smile Nook HD+ Installing Android 7.1.1 Nougat

I had been using an N2A card to run Android 4.4.4 Kitkat for several years, then something happened (no idea what it was) and it stopped booting from the SD card. So I decided to see if I could get a later version of Android for it...but N2A, while it does still exist, hasn't come out with an updated version. A few hours later, after finding good instructions, I've installed Android 7.1.1 Nougat directly on the tablet. This turned out to be so easy, I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, Nougat runs very well on the Nook HD+, and I thought I'd share the location of this excellent guide for installing Nougat. I spent some time searching the forums here, but didn't find anything referring to this one...

https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress...oid-7-upgrade/
Ghod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghod View Post
I had been using an N2A card to run Android 4.4.4 Kitkat for several years, then something happened (no idea what it was) and it stopped booting from the SD card. So I decided to see if I could get a later version of Android for it...but N2A, while it does still exist, hasn't come out with an updated version. A few hours later, after finding good instructions, I've installed Android 7.1.1 Nougat directly on the tablet. This turned out to be so easy, I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, Nougat runs very well on the Nook HD+, and I thought I'd share the location of this excellent guide for installing Nougat. I spent some time searching the forums here, but didn't find anything referring to this one...

Thanks for the info. I have one of those. I think I will try it.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Quote:

So how is this working out for you?

My HD+ is running 4.4.4 off an Android for Nook card. It really hangs sometimes- and I wonder if it's due to hardware deficiencies, or if it's from running the OS from an external card.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Ghod
Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie27 View Post
So how is this working out for you?

My HD+ is running 4.4.4 off an Android for Nook card. It really hangs sometimes- and I wonder if it's due to hardware deficiencies, or if it's from running the OS from an external card.

I couldn't be happier. The only thing that's been any problem, is that several times, my live wallpaper gets unset somehow...but it only takes a moment to restart it. Otherwise, it runs better than Kitkat ever did. I highly recommend it. The instructions are clear and simple.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Do you think the reason Nougat is running better than Kitkat for you is because Nougat is directly on your Nook HD+ rather than running from the sdhc card?
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Ghod

Actually, no...

Actually, I had Kitkat installed the same way. I forgot to mention that in my original post. The Nook OS isn't replaced, exactly, just bypassed. The entire reason I found myself looking up a more recent version of Android, was that the Nook OS somehow ran an update, which appears to have broken the Kitkat installation. So, no, I think it's the Android version that mattered.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
nellie27
Connoisseur

Well, I bought a second-hand HD+ and installed CM13/Marshmallow, using the instructions linked in the original post. The hardest part was making sure I had all the correct files (gapps, TWRP, that sort of thing); the actual installation process was easy.

It runs great, very smooth. (Much better than the CM10 card in my original HD+)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did it. install went great. Except It is now stuck in a boot loop.When I turn it off it restarts again in a few seconds What do I do?

Last edited by Gardenman; 11-30-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
nellie27
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I did it. install went great. Except It is now stuck in a boot loop.When I turn it off it restarts again in a few seconds What do I do?
Here is a link to a post on an xda thread. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...99&postcount=5

This may or may not be helpful. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
Gardenman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie27 View Post
Here is a link to a post on an xda thread. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...99&postcount=5

This may or may not be helpful. Good luck.

Wahoooooooooooooooooooo It works Thanks so much.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I installed this on my Nook HD+, which has just been laying around unused, yesterday and it's like a whole new tablet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
nellie27
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Wahoooooooooooooooooooo It works Thanks so much.
Excellent, glad it worked!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
Ghod

I'm glad to see others enjoying the upgrade.

I haven't been using mine for the last couple of weeks, but that's just because I managed to mislay my charger. I've ordered a spare, and another HD+...my wife finally decided she'd like one. The charger is due tomorrow, and the tablet on Monday.

Personally, one of the reasons I like the HD+ so much, is that it doesn't have extra things I don't need, like phone capabilities, camera, and microphone. I wonder how others feel about those things?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
Gardenman
Wizard

Quote:
I'm glad to see others enjoying the upgrade.

I haven't been using mine for the last couple of weeks, but that's just because I managed to mislay my charger. I've ordered a spare, and another HD+...my wife finally decided she'd like one. The charger is due tomorrow, and the tablet on Monday.

Personally, one of the reasons I like the HD+ so much, is that it doesn't have extra things I don't need, like phone capabilities, camera, and microphone. I wonder how others feel about those things?

The same. Also I like screen quality. I have the 36 GB model. I plan to add a 36 GB sd card and have all the book storage I should ever need.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I am going to give this a try when my Hd+ gets charged up.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android 7, install, nook hd+, nougat, upgrade