Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #1891
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
These hyphens are a bit "stubby" and also tilted somewhat, which is odd.
"Slanted Hyphens" are a thing, depending on the font. Going from horizontal/flat (what we all know now), to very tilted up:

Graphic Design (Stack Exchange): "Where and/or why is a slanted hyphen used?"

There's also the "Double Hyphen" which looks like an equals sign:

Wikipedia.org: "Double Hyphen"

Quote:
FYI the current detection algorithm is looking at the graphic, not the characters. It is looking for the "shape" of a hyphen.
Fascinating stuff. Still don't know how it works its magic with the PDFs, but it works!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:32 AM   #1892
ash2017
ash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello @willus, I just like to thank you for your hard work and contribution.
This is an amazing piece of software and I am extremely grateful for this.

ash2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #1893
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thank you, ash2017 and Tex2002ans, for the nice comments.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #1894
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I am just thinking...

How one physical problem and discomfort (having small screen reading device)
led to creation of such great, usefull and productive little piece of software !

Thank you again Mr. Willus for K2PDFOPT!
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #1895
treslineas
treslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timetreslineas possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle 7
k2pdfopt better than Word

Willus, Word still messes up equations and mathematical formulas in PDF conversion, using your application is better in case you're looking for math textbooks. Since (I assume) it cuts up the pdf into images, it doesn't mess the formulas.

Thank you for your work, it's magic to me.
treslineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:46 PM   #1896
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treslineas View Post
Willus, Word still messes up equations and mathematical formulas in PDF conversion, using your application is better in case you're looking for math textbooks. Since (I assume) it cuts up the pdf into images, it doesn't mess the formulas.

Thank you for your work, it's magic to me.
Thanks. It certainly depends up on the specific case and what you want out of the conversion. It's always good to have options.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #1897
divdev
divdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedivdev possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'd like to add another motion of gratitude to this thread. I tried the Word method to making a particular PDF book readable on my 6" Kobo Clara and it failed terribly. This tool effortlessly did an amazing job!

divdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #1898
Shohreh
Zealot
Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Noticed a small bug (in 2.53 at least): When adding an EPUB by mistake, the app closes without further ado, instead of just ignoring non-PDFs with a dialog box ("k2pdfopt only handles PDF files.").
Shohreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #1899
georgeandrew
georgeandrew began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
compile k2pdfopt

Hi willus,

Thank you for the great tool!
I was trying to compile the k2pdfopt v2.53 in Msys2 MinGW64 but I am very new to CMake and programming in Linux(-like) system. I have installed all the other dependent libs to /mingw64/ and, also compiled mupdf and installed it to /usr/local/include/mupdf for *.h files and /usr/local/lib since there seems no directly available mupdf package. when I was using vscode it told me that
----------------------------------
Code:
[cmake] -- Checking for module 'mupdf'
[cmake] --   Package 'mupdf', required by 'virtual:world', not found
----------------------------------
and then if I right-click on 'CMakeLists.txt' and select 'build all projects', vs code will give me quite a few errors, such like:
--------------
Code:
[build] C:/k2pdfopt_v2.53/k2pdfoptlib/k2ocr.c:760:13: error: static declaration of 'k2ocr_ocrwords_get_from_ocrlayer' follows non-static declaration
[build] C:/k2pdfopt_v2.53/k2pdfoptlib/k2ocr.c:607:9: note: previous implicit declaration of 'k2ocr_ocrwords_get_from_ocrlayer' was here
------------------------------------------
Do you have any suggestions on what I shall do?
instead--I know it's a greedy wish--but is it possible you could add more instructions into your readme_k2src.txt file for new people, if possible? I think this will be even greater.

Thanks a lot!
georgeandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #1900
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandrew View Post
I was trying to compile the k2pdfopt v2.53 in Msys2 MinGW64 but I am very new to CMake and programming ...
Hi--sorry for the delay in responding. I'm just curious, why are you trying to compile k2pdfopt in MSYS2? Why not just build it in Windows using a MinGW gcc compiler per my source code instructions. Don't Windows binaries run okay in MSYS2?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #1901
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohreh View Post
Noticed a small bug (in 2.53 at least): When adding an EPUB by mistake, the app closes without further ado, instead of just ignoring non-PDFs with a dialog box ("k2pdfopt only handles PDF files.").
Added to my bug list. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #1902
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just discovered this tool, and it looks like it might be useful for converting RPG PDFs for use on my ereaders.

I have a request, though. Would it be possible to add an option to output just text, rather than images with text?
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #1903
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

To just show text--did you try the -ocrvis t option?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #1904
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To just show text--did you try the -ocrvis t option?
I hadn't, but I have now That, and -mode 2col are ideal for what I want. Thank you.

I'll RTFM next time
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #1905
Shohreh
Zealot
Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
I just gave k2pdfopt a try to recompress a PDF that I edited after decompressing it (from 13MB to 650MB.)

Using the following…
Code:
k2pdfopt.exe input.pdf -fc- -mode copy -dpi 200 -o output.pdf
… it turns the 650MB edited file into 10MB file, which is super nice, but I notice the colors are wrong:

What setting could I try?

Thank you.

--
Edit: Never mind, GhostScript did the job.

Last edited by Shohreh; 12-11-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Shohreh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools