Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
SaintGeorge
SaintGeorge began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Sammy Galaxy Tab A

Hi-

I have a Calibre library on my pc where I manage my ebooks, and have recently added a Samsung Tab A to my device inventory. Can someone chime in as to

1) Which is the best ebook reader to use on the Samsung (android) tablets- specifically which is best for reading and for Calibre library interaction, and

2) How do I most efficiently connect the Samsung tablet to my pc based Calibre library over my lan's wifi instead of having to plug the tablet into my pc??

THANKS!!!!
SaintGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
On the first question, I like moon reader pro.
On the second, I have no idea. I just use Google for stuff I need on all devices.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I use Moon+ Reader Pro as well and I use Calibre Companion to manage the books on my device and my connection to calibre.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-26-2017 at 09:12 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I also prefer Moon+ reader Pro on Android. I read with it a lot on my phone.

I have a free Dropbox account and Moon+ connects very nicely to that so I have a few hundred books available there.

I also have a Tab A (10") and I have a 128 gig micro SD card in it and it would be entirely possible to keep a huge book library on that. I don't know if all models will hold a 128 gig card. I don't use my tablet for reading so I don't actually have books on it but if I did I could keep a copy of my library on that card.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I use Moon+ Reader Pro as well and I use Calibre Companion to manage the books on my device and my connection to calibre.
Seconded. Moon+ Pro and CC are a great pair.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I suggest you use the Kindle for Samsung. Its the Only one that works... I had the Samsung Galaxy A ... & you get to pick a Free ebook per month

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-26-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I use a TAB A (10.1) for most of my reading; and to set the scene all my books are epub or PDF and I buy books using PC or the tablet's web browser, not the stores' own apps.

I can't tell you what reading app is best for you but what I did was try the major ones and picked the one I liked best. For me that was PocketBook. It has an unusual menu system but I found I adapted to that with no problem and it turned out to be very efficient for me.

There are two things I place a lot of importance on. One is to have infinite control over text and background colours; I set up a parchment like colour background with black type (PocketBook claims to allow one to load images to create one's own background texture but I have never tried that). The other is to be able to control screen brightness with a simple swipe gesture for reading in differing ambient light situations from in the dark to bright light. Because LCD display contrast is far superior to that of E Ink and paper I feel it is important to be able to maximize the use of that. The other good reading apps also allow this.

Regarding communication with Calibre I most times use USB as it is straightforward and is managed by Calibre itself without need of anything else and is completely reliable. I also try to lead a simple life and just keep a selection of books on the TAB A's MMC.

For WiFi Calibre Companion seems popular but because of my other needs* I use MyPhoneExplorer (cost free and ad free, and used by me for years) which will let one upload/download/sync chosen files and folders by WiFi with a PC. It does that without any need for one to set up shares, plus it will also use USB, Bluetooth, or IP address instead of WiFi if desired - if tempted to two way sync with the Caliber database folders using it one will run into trouble with Calibre database corruption. I just transfer from the database to the TAB A and let PocketBook delete the book from the tablet when I am finished with it (it is then not shown as being on the device when next connected by USB to Calibre - if I remember correctly this and two way syncs all work safely by WiFi if using Calibre Companion.

Several file explorer apps will also allow WiFi connections but I have generally found them a bit clunky and inconvenient. There are other apps that make WiFi connections for file transfer between devices but all I am aware of are either advertisement supported or paid.

* The reason I use MyPhoneExplorer, and have done so for a number of years, is that it does many other things which I use, including sync contacts with PC (including with MSOffice Outlook), sync calendars with PC (including with MSOffice Outlook), sync notes with PC (including with MSOffice Outlook), sync SMS messages with PC and allow the PC to be used as an SMS client, will backup devices' including their system files, etc. Syncs can be from one device to the PC and then that sync with another device. These things may or may not be useful to you. If not, then the cost of Calibre Companion may be worthwhile, and may be so in any event :-).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-27-2017 at 07:58 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I use Calibre Companion, and Bluefire Reader on my Samsung Galaxy SB 2.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
I also use moon+ reader

on the calibre side, I just use the content server, and hit it as a webpage from wherever on my tablet/phone/kobo
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote