Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Help! How to remove series display under title in library display??

Hi!

A while back, I sent some books to the Kobo's side card using Calibre. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it sent the series information over with it, sub displaying it under the books' titles, often cutting off the titles if they need two lines. I realized what had happened, found where to change it in Calibre's KoboTouch plugin and the device preferences.

I thought I had fixed some of them by removing them and sending them back onto the card, but after a recent reset, those I had fixed appear to be back - I could be wrong, I don't remember when I did the reset, when I noticed the series were there and when I readded the books.

I have about 300 books that would have to be removed, readded, and reshelved. I still haven't gotten the hang of adding the shelves designations through Calibre, so all those books have to be reshelved manually.

Is there any way to remove that series info from the Glo without removing the books? I have unchecked "Set Series Information" on Calibre's KoboTouch plugin and the device preferences, but that won't change it now, and I tried updating the device metadata, that won't work.

Also if it DID come back after the paperclip reset, is there a way to change that?

UPDATE: I did the paperclip reset on 5/14/24.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The paperclip reset is the equivalent of turning you PC off without doing a shutdown. In both cases, you will lose any unsaved changes, but sometimes it is the only way to get it going again. For the Kobo device, the series info will have been saved, so it shouldn't disappear. If you are missing more the last update to the reading status, you probably have a corrupt database that needs to be fixed.

There isn't any easy way to remove the series information from the device. All the work has been in how to get the correct info to the device.

There are three ways to do what you want:
  • Remove the book from the device and resend it later.
  • Logout out of the device and back in. This will recreate the database and reload the books into the library without the series info.
  • Clear the fields using SQL. You will need a tool to run the SQL against the database on the device. The following will do what you want:
    Code:
    UPDATE content
    SET Series = NULL, 
     SeriesNumber  = NULL
    WHERE ContentId like 'file%'
    AND (Series IS NOT NULL
    OR SeriesNumber  IS NOT NULL)

In all cases, you will need to make sure the series info option in the driver configuration is off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the help, Davidfor! I wound up removing those books and resending them over. My concern, I guess, is that if I have to do a paperclip reset again, they'll show back up.

I looked at my sd card thourgh Calibre, checking for dates added to the card against when I did the reset, and after I know I removed the option to send series over. Some of the newer additions had the series added underneath the titles, which I thought was odd.

I don't remember what exactly happens if I log out of my account on the Kobo and log back in. Do I then have to reshelve all the books? I remember I did that once for something else and it was not a great experience.

Thank you again for you help, it *is* very much appreciated!

Sorry, one other quick question: If I want to edit the SQL, which file do I edit?

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 05-27-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Just a suggestion you might like better rather than eliminating all series numbers... you might simply change the order of the series info.

I send all my books to my Glo through Calibre and I want the series number and series to show in my books. But my order is always "book title - series number - series title". That way the book title gets preference to show as much as possible when it won't fit on one line, and I still have full listings by series by using the Shelf view.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I send all my books to my Glo through Calibre and I want the series number and series to show in my books. But my order is always "book title - series number - series title".
The only drawback is the inability to then sort books on the device by order within a series (or even by series). The lack of series sort though can be acceptable if you put the books into collections based on series name.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That's exactly what I meant by using the Shelf view. Each series is placed into its own collection or shelf, so it's very easy to find anything by book or series. Now the numbers within each series on its shelf won't be sorted, but it's not difficult to find the number you need at that point.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
VirgoGirl

Thanks for the replies!

What I do with my books - and it's not for everyone - is to put the series and number in the book title. So "Clean Sweep" by Ilona Andrews becomes "Innkeeper Chronicles 01 Clean Sweep". This way when I look for series I don't have to be reliant on the series metadata in Calibre. I don't need the series info to display on the Glo because it's in the title.

My device plugin looks like this:

I only have the title and author set to be loaded. I'm hoping that since I removed the "Set Series Information" checkmark it will stay that way. We'll see if I have to do another paperclip reset.

And as a side note, I changed my profile image 3 times and it still shows the same photo as before. Puzzling.