Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Location of Preferences

Was wondering if there was a json or some file that I can switch out or save to keep my menu and,or other preferences.

It's nice to be able to save the rules, but I would like to be able to do it for the rest of the gui. A file that would let me copy my library state (preferences. plugboards, menus, etc.) would save me so much time if I need to reset things.

I know that copying the gui files only gives me the exact library it was copied from -- I want to basically find files that are not library specific, but just Calibre in general. Menus, preferences, plugboards, virtual libraries - any of those would be great.

Thanks!
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try reading the Calibre User Manual, especially the Frequently Asked Questions ==>> How do I backup calibre Ψ²

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-10-2018 at 08:24 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The most important thing to backup is the calibre library folder, that contains all your books and metadata. This is the folder you chose for your calibre library when you ran calibre for the first time. You can get the path to the library folder by clicking the calibre icon on the main toolbar. You must backup this complete folder with all its files and sub-folders.
I have never been able to figure out exactly what this means. Am I looking for the program folder? Or the configuration folder? I cant even find the icon I am supposed to click on. If it is the tiny icon above the main toolbar, I click on it only to be given choices on the screen size.

Also, copying the configurations exactly means having a library that points to folders that aren't current, and requires me to remove the old libraries and add the new "current" ones.

I don't have a problem copying the plugins, but its those toolbar's, menu's, conversion preferences, virtual libraries, and look and feel. These things aren't specific to a library .

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you open the Miscellaneous page of the preferences, there is a button to open the configuration directory. A lot of the configuration is stored in there. Backing up this directory will allow you to restore a large percentage of the configuration. This includes the icons in the menus and the preferences.

But, some configuration is store at the library level. In this case, the configuration is usually stored in the libraries database. Most plugins do this if they support different configurations per library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
Rellwood

@davidfor

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been familiar with the copy/paste of the config file (and now that I understand that this is the folder being mentioned in the user manual, I am sure I can figure this out.

Thanks for your help
@davidfor and
@BetterRed