Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Amazon may be making a series based on Iain M. Banks’ Culture books

Starting with Consdider Phlebas.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope not. That was an awful book.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It must be snowing the Matto Grosso.
I... ah... ahh... agree.

Quit halfway through.

Reminded me of Grant Morrison. Random terms joined together and a bunch of stupid folk running in circles. Left me with little interest to finish, much less to follow the series.

Dunno, maybe it's like Monty Python.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon press release: Amazon Studios to Adapt Consider Phlebas, First Novel of the Culture Series, for Television
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Starting with Consdider Phlebas.
I was more interested to see an adaption of Ringworld was also in the works.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was more interested to see an adaption of Ringworld was also in the works.
+1

But what I really want to see is TUNNEL IN THE SKY and HAVE SPACESUIT WILL TRAVEL.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Ringworld should be interesting if you like special effects. I don't, really but I think i'll want to see this one just to see what they've done with it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
+1

But what I really want to see is TUNNEL IN THE SKY and HAVE SPACESUIT WILL TRAVEL.
My fav of Heinlein would be THE STAR BEAST. (Especially the scene about raising "John Thomases". . .)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember a few years ago when the discussion of adapting dense books as movies would come up, there was always the suggestion that it would work better as a single season TV series (Dune and Watchmen are the two I remember most). But then, what network would invest the funds needed to create a series that would only run one season?

Things have changed and it seems so much more plausible now.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I remember a few years ago when the discussion of adapting dense books as movies would come up, there was always the suggestion that it would work better as a single season TV series (Dune and Watchmen are the two I remember most). But then, what network would invest the funds needed to create a series that would only run one season?

Things have changed and it seems so much more plausible now.
Streaming services are happy to get binge-worthy shows, regardless of length.

And this is out there:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...filmable-books

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-21-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I’d like to see Anne McCaffrey’s Ship Who Sang made into a series...
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 AM   #12
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We know. Any time someone mentions the Culture series, you have to tell us that Consider Phlebas is awful, that almost everyone in your book club hated it, and the Culture series must not be worth reading because the first book published was so bad, not that you ever gave the rest of the novels a try. Can't you give it a rest?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
We know. Any time someone mentions the Culture series, you have to tell us that Consider Phlebas is awful, that almost everyone in your book club hated it, and the Culture series must not be worth reading because the first book published was so bad, not that you ever gave the rest of the novels a try. Can't you give it a rest?
I give you a perfect word for this book. It was rather craptastic.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Streaming services are happy to get binge-worthy shows, regardless of length.

And this is out there:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...filmable-books
What do you know? Watchmen was one of the discussed projects. I thought the expanded version of the movie was pretty good (though the Matrix-style fighting felt so out of place). Beyond that, I think Hollywood should just leave Watchmen alone for a bit.

I do think Dune is ripe material for a series. If it's a success there's no shortage of material to crank out season after season of it. But it's in the process of being filmed again, so I guess that's off the table for a bit.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #15
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who did not get any enjoyment out of that book (CP) at all.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote