Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
Buying e-books

OK, so now I have my iLiad and I want to start accumulating content on my SD card.

I've taken a few free e-books in PDF format, some have been pretty good, some not so good. I quite fancy buying some too, which formats work well and could I reliably assume to be readable and not awful if I actually pay for them?

At the moment not a lot, I guess, if all we have is PDF and HTML and that Chinese one... do Adobe Reader PDFs count as normal PDFs that we can use?

Just don't want to spend money on books I can't read, is all .
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

i tink that 'commercial' pdfs (from amazon ...) are drmed and won't display with xpdf.

is that right?
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast
FGFuzaxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: maybe Iliad ;-)
If you buy DRMed content today, you are not able to read it on your iLiad.

I don't know when (of if at all) e.g. the mobiread reader will be ported to the device.

Also there seems to be a possibility that content will be available via the iDS - this content one can only use with the registered device (as far as I remember the post here in the forum).

But this raises the question if iRex has content available for buying?

Greetings,
Frank
FGFuzaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFuzaxx
If you buy DRMed content today, you are not able to read it on your iLiad.

I don't know when (of if at all) e.g. the mobiread reader will be ported to the device.

Also there seems to be a possibility that content will be available via the iDS - this content one can only use with the registered device (as far as I remember the post here in the forum).

But this raises the question if iRex has content available for buying?

Greetings,
Frank

About 2 weeks ago there was a note that a 'DRM announcement would be made in a week'. The only place I saw this was in the iRex shop when you clicked on the icon for the Iliad. I'm not certain exactly what a week in iRex time is out here in the real world

Side note to marketing department in iRex: The Bose noise cancelling headphones ship with about 10 business cards in them to give to interested people. They figure current customers to be the best sales tool. Based on some of the forum comments, worth while food for though.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here is what I do... I always buy my e-books in Microsoft LIT format, either from Fictionwise, Amazon, or eBooks.com. I then use Convert Lit to convert this e-book (which is protected by DRM) to HTML (of course only for personal (fair) use). With HTML, you are free to do what you want, e.g., convert it to a format appropriate for the iRex.

See also here for more on Convert Lit.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
i tink that 'commercial' pdfs (from amazon ...) are drmed and won't display with xpdf.

is that right?
The xpdf website has a funny blurb explaining that they honour DRM pdfs because they expect people to honour the GPL license.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
About 2 weeks ago there was a note that a 'DRM announcement would be made in a week'. The only place I saw this was in the iRex shop when you clicked on the icon for the Iliad. I'm not certain exactly what a week in iRex time is out here in the real world
"one week" is one unit of time interval. "A week" is a week, anyone.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 AM   #8
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that content at Fictionwise, if downloaded as PDFs, fits the iLiad screen perfectly. The font size is acceptable, the pagination is correct - if you're looking to purchase content, I think you might want to try Fictionwise, and you can skip downloading as .lit and the conversion step.
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:35 AM   #9
MikeB
MikeB began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Loox 720
bryanzs,

Are Fictionwise books readable without modification on the Iliad? How does the DRM work?
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:49 AM   #10
bryanzs
Zealot

Yes, the Fictionwise ebooks are readable without any modification. Books on Fictionwise can be published as either "multiformat" or "secure". Multiformat ebooks don't have any DRM - except for the users' agreement not to copy. Secure ebooks are available in a variety of formats, none of which are currently directly useful to us.

While most newly-published books are in the 'secure' format, Fictionwise carries a lot of reprinted stories, and older books, in the multiformat format, and you can choose to search just the multiformat ones so you're not tempted by an ebook you can't yet load I particularly like that you can subscribe to ebook versions of the major US science fiction magazines - and download them as good-looking PDFs for the iLiad.

You can find out more here: http://www.fictionwise.com
Old 07-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #11
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs
I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that content at Fictionwise, if downloaded as PDFs, fits the iLiad screen perfectly. The font size is acceptable, the pagination is correct - if you're looking to purchase content, I think you might want to try Fictionwise, and you can skip downloading as .lit and the conversion step.
hi bryanzs,

can you post a picture of a book and/or magazine from fictionwise on your iliad.
it sounds great, but i've got to see it for myself

edit:
and maybe you can post the pdfs page size (you can get these via adobe reader - file menu).

Last edited by vvoi666; 07-27-2006 at 03:40 AM.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
bryanzs
Zealot

Acrobat Reader says the PDF page size is 6"x9". Here are some photos of the front cover of the magazine, and one of the interior pages (sorry in advance for the poor quality)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecover.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1320   Click image for larger version

Name:	epage.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1321  
Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #13
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Here is what I do... I always buy my e-books in Microsoft LIT format, either from Fictionwise, Amazon, or eBooks.com. I then use Convert Lit to convert this e-book (which is protected by DRM) to HTML (of course only for personal (fair) use).
Is that legal in Italy? Here in the land of the free that would get you thrown in Jail for 10 years or so. There is no such thing as fair use anymore here in the USA.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #14
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Another good source of DRM free eBook content is Baen Books. They publish their works in many formats, including HTML.

They also have a selection of free ebooks you can download and check out to make sure you are happy with how they format their ebooks.

I've purchased many of their ebooks for my Librie.

http://www.baen.com
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #15
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Here is what I do... I always buy my e-books in Microsoft LIT format, either from Fictionwise, Amazon, or eBooks.com. I then use Convert Lit to convert this e-book (which is protected by DRM) to HTML (of course only for personal (fair) use). With HTML, you are free to do what you want, e.g., convert it to a format appropriate for the iRex.

See also here for more on Convert Lit.
Is this as compicated as the web site makes it sound? It has been a long time since I noodled around with a command line. On top of that, as I understand it you need to do two passes, one with V1.8 then with V1.5.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote