Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
pazu
Pazu
pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Treo 650
7-day old PRS-505, Black lines/bands across the screen!

I was very happy with my PRS-505 when I bought it 3 weeks ago, my friend saw it and bought one also about a week ago.

My Sony PRS-505 is still working well, but my friend's reader has a serious problem this morning. There are some terrible and ugly black lines and bands displaying across the screen.

My friend didn't drop the reader, she merely switch it off and on in 1 minute, then these black lines appeared!

The battery level was around 75% when these black lines appeared.

And I've read some comments on the internet that you are suggested to recharge the machine for a long time, I helped her to charge it for 6 hours today, but still the same.

Sony has an FAQ here: http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/f...S-505&f=PA_PRS

"To resolve dark lines across the screen, turn the page or change what is being displayed several times. If lines are still displayed after changing the display, reset the reader. "

I tried to hard/soft reset the machine, but it didn't help at all.

What should I do now? We are now in Tibet... should we send the unit back to Sony in the States? We bought the machine on a Chinese bidding site called Taobao.com.

The ugly lines and bands across the screen:

Shutting down (not switch off, but shut down) the machine:

Resetting the machine...
pazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I am sorry to say so, but it really looks like a broken screen...
You can look for a functioning screen on ebay or here in the flea market and fix the reader yourself. Sending it in to sony should be quite expensive. Do you have maybe an insurrance for it which covers a broken screen?
or maybe you have any other insurance which would pay for repair?

success!

kaas

Last edited by kaas; 07-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I agree, that is a broken screen. Your friend might not have dropped it, but it was probably bent or twisted at some point.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
pazu
Pazu
pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've checked some other posts here and on other forums, there were some cases with exactly the same perpendicular bends and black lines as my friend's reader. I think it would be quite a coincidence if it was bent randomly but with the same results as other users across the globe.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure I'm following your meaning, but it definitely looks like the screen substrate (which is under the glass) got broken. That can happen if the reader gets bent or twisted. Sometimes just pressing on opposites corners can break the substrate. It's not unique to Sony; all ereaders with e-ink screens are sensitive to bending.
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
pazu
Pazu

I can't believe it!

I've bought two Sony PRS-505, my friend's machine was broken (as shown above).

After the unhappy experience with my friend's PRS-505, I was quite upset and became quite careful when using my reader.

Everything was normal yesterday, I did not put my reader into any bag at all, just put it on my reading table, I'm sure nobody can touch it except me, but when I go back to check the reader out a few hours later, I got exactly the same problem as my friend!

There was no pressure exerting on the reader for a whole day.... what happened?

Last edited by pazu; 07-13-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
That's really weird!
Did you buy both readers from the same reseller? Hope that they weren't refurbished ones...
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 AM   #8
pazu
Pazu

I'm now in Tibet and I bought both readers from the same reseller over the internet, do you think if there's any chance that he's selling refurbished one?

Two broken readers in less than 24 hours, I can't believe my bad luck!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
pazu
Pazu

there's another thread about broken screen:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=37467&page=2
Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Wow, that's strange. Definitely contact the reseller and see if they're willing to give you a replacement.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Since both of the readers you bought from this reseller had the same problem within days of each other, I suspect it might have something to do with the way the reseller was handling and/or shipping them. Maybe what they were doing was causing some type of stress on the substrate, but it took a few days to actually break.

Sorry this happened to you--hope you can work something out with the person/company you purchased your readers from.

Good luck!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote