Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
chrisborg
chrisborg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
lost file

I was working on cleaning up a file I converted from pdf (and doing some things in the background) when my machine got hit by a nasty virus. The virus wasn't related to Sigil, but it did lock up the program. Now after several hours of work, I'm finally virus free and but file I was working on is completely missing.

I was saving the file frequently so I expected to have some version of it...but no. So does Sigil have a temporary file location or something I might look for? I'm not hopeful, but let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
Christine
chrisborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Look into your user HOME folder. There should be a Sigil folder in there, and a scratchpad folder inside it. This is where Sigil stores its temp data. It will probably be filled with all sorts of junk, but hey... there could be the last state of your book in one of the subfolders.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Look into your user HOME folder. There should be a Sigil folder in there, and a scratchpad folder inside it. This is where Sigil stores its temp data. It will probably be filled with all sorts of junk, but hey... there could be the last state of your book in one of the subfolders.
Might I propose a "Recovery mode" question, ala Open office style., when starting Sigil finds remnants in the scratch area (an indication of a less than orderly program end)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
chrisborg
chrisborg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Thanks! This was helpful - i was able to find the text sections I edited originally and paste them back into a new copy of the book. Thanks for saving a couple of hours or work!
chrisborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Might I propose a "Recovery mode" question, ala Open office style., when starting Sigil finds remnants in the scratch area (an indication of a less than orderly program end)?
The problem is that if you have several instances of Sigil running (perfectly valid use case), then there are multiple working directories in the scratchpad. This means that you can't tell if some of the directories are there because they're crash remnants or because they're being worked on in a different instance.

There are ways around that, but it's not currently high on my TODO list.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The problem is that if you have several instances of Sigil running (perfectly valid use case), then there are multiple working directories in the scratchpad. This means that you can't tell if some of the directories are there because they're crash remnants or because they're being worked on in a different instance.

There are ways around that, but it's not currently high on my TODO list.
Thanks for the explanation, and for considering the possibility.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote