Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
University of Chicago Announces free Monthly ebook

The first book in the program is below. epub format

Link http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ebooks/free_ebook.html

The Birthday Book
Edited and Translated by Holt N. Parker
120 pages, 9 line drawings 5 x 7 © 2007
E-book Free! See form below (about e-books)
ISBN: 9780226099774
Cloth $25.00
ISBN: 9780226099743 Published February 2007
“[Roman grammarian and writer] Censorinus distills the wisdom of several strains of philosophy, extracting whatever seems to have any bearing on births, days and birthdays: theories of the origin of the human species, the formation of the individual foetus, the principles of astrology, the ages of man, the nature of time, eons, centuries, years, months, days and hours.”—London Review of Books
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
sononkyo
sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS300S, PRS505S (ret.) PRS 500 (ret.)
Thanks! Perfect for my PRS300. Between this and my superb library with their ade .epub and google domain books, I am in reading nirvana
sononkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Great! I would expect such innovative thinking for uChicago.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I poked around a bit and saw that they offer a variety of "ownership" options. For $5 you can "own" the book for 30 days along with some printing and copying rights. You also have a 180 day ownership option for a higher price. For the same price as the paperback (on the few I looked more closely at) you can buy the entire book outright.
I think I like this idea. To me $5 is a reasonable amount to "rent" the book for a month. I pay almost that much to rent a movie from Blockbuster for one week. Obviously I'd check the library first, but given the types of books provided by UCP, I think this could have value.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
This is certainly an interesting concept. Access to academic and general interest books for a nominal rental fee. It's certainly an intriguing idea.

I had a NYPL out-of-state library card which cost me $100. That same $100 would allow me access to 20 books through this program, and I'm sure I didn't check out 20 books over the past year through NYPL. I'll certainly add the UCP website to my list of favorites.

Thanks for the information!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Too bad they aren't innovative enough to leave it up to the book-buyers themselves to determine whether their computer systems are capable of downloading and opening the books. They won't give me an actual download link that I can drag and drop on ADE because I'm running linux. There's just a brown box telling me to install ADE. Typical corporate arrogance.

Last edited by luqmaninbmore; 11-19-2009 at 11:44 PM.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Lovely little book, thanks for finding the free offer!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Too bad they aren't innovative enough to leave it up to the book-buyers themselves to determine whether their computer systems are capable of downloading and opening the books. They won't give me an actual download link that I can drag and drop on ADE because I'm running linux. There's just a brown box telling me to install ADE. Typical corporate arrogance.
That's when you look at the source code
Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #9
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Looks like the server fell over, probably couldn't cope with nasty Linux computers trying to access it.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
Looks like the server fell over, probably couldn't cope with nasty Linux computers trying to access it.
Lol, is linux a vector for computer diseases now?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
bibliovault
bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: all!
Hi--we're very sorry for the overnight outage. The free Birthday Books are back up--please enjoy.

Also, any links issued last night should work fine now. (The server issue wasn't about the free books, or linux..! We love linux.)
bibliovault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Fantastic, thanks for the link.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Lol, is linux a vector for computer diseases now?
More likely the cure
Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliovault View Post
Hi--we're very sorry for the overnight outage. The free Birthday Books are back up--please enjoy.

Also, any links issued last night should work fine now. (The server issue wasn't about the free books, or linux..! We love linux.)
Thanks for letting us know Good to know people at The University of Chicago Press appreciate a good operating system too
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thanks for sharing the link!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote