Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Also the volume seems to me quite OK.
I do not intent to hijack this thread, but just out of curiosity, you are talking about the speaker, not with headphones, I assume...or...?

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
No, I spoke about the headphones.

I explained in following text, that it is OK,but it could be better...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #18
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I just got a message from the Vendor the PeterHartman spoke about: "I tested both M92 that were returned and there was no issue. The stereo headphone worked just fine... "
I also have tested about thirty devices in our warehouse and could not find devices with stereo issues either. Perhaps it was the connector issue of the headphones?
Yes - I can confirm this. I've tried 4 pairs of headphones with the M92:

- Stanton DJ Pro 3000 (1/4" with 3.5mm adapter): Left channel only
- Sony MDR CD-570 (3.5mm with threads for 1/4" adapter): Left channel only
- Sennheiser HD-25 (3.5mm with threads for 1/4" adapter): Left channel only
- Audio Technica ATH-CKS50 (3.5mm earbuds): Full stereo

On the first 3, the missing right channel was due to the plastic cover on the M92 preventing full insertion of the 3.5mm jack - it stops against the cover wither when reaching the metal threading for the screw-on 1/4" adapter or on the jacket/sleeve of the jack plug (as on the Stanton). On the earbuds, the jack jacket has such a small radius that it isn't caught by the M92 cover during insertion. This solves my mystery. Onyx should probably take this to heart when planning new hardware. The problem can be solved with a suitable 3.5mm female-male adapter, cutting or filing down the jack sleeve or by cutting away the plastic cover just above the stereo jack connector.

Thanks,

-- Bob (tm)

Last edited by bob_tm; 08-10-2012 at 05:42 AM.
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_tm View Post
Yes - I can confirm this. I've tried 4 pairs of headphones with the M92:

- Stanton DJ Pro 3000 (1/4" with 3.5mm adapter): Left channel only
- Sony MDR CD-570 (3.5mm with threads for 1/4" adapter): Left channel only
- Sennheiser HD-25 (3.5mm with threads for 1/4" adapter): Left channel only
- Audio Technica ATH-CKS50 (3.5mm earbuds): Full stereo

On the first 3, the missing right channel was due to the plastic cover on the M92 preventing full insertion of the 3.5mm jack - it stops against the cover wither when reaching the metal threading for the screw-on 1/4" adapter or on the jacket/sleeve of the jack plug (as on the Stanton). On the earbuds, the jack jacket has such a small radius that it isn't caught by the M92 cover during insertion. This solves my mystery. Onyx should probably take this to heart when planning new hardware. The problem can be solved with a suitable 3.5mm female-male adapter, cutting or filing down the jack sleeve or by cutting away the plastic cover just above the stereo jack connector.

Thanks,

-- Bob (tm)
Thank you, Bob, for clearing the situation!
Now we know what probably could cause that issue. So it is a good pointer to make some changes on the back cover, to avoid problems with headphones with short jack plug in the future..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
bob_tm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
So it is a good pointer to make some changes on the back cover, to avoid problems with headphones with short jack plug in the future..
Yes it is, Booxtor. Note that it is the top cover (I think it is called bezel, which may distinguish it from the fake leather cover) or its closeness to the audio jack connector that is the problem, as the top cover sticks out from the main body of the M92 above where the connector is located.

Last edited by bob_tm; 08-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
You are right! The earplug is few milimeters sinked in "slot" designed to prevent accidential switch of power and volume buttons! I newer realised that.

If the body of jack is a bit thickier than tiny, it cannot be fully inserted (because of the slot margins).

The mystery solved.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
bob_tm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
You are right! The earplug is few milimeters sinked in "slot" designed to prevent accidential switch of power and volume buttons! I newer realised that.
That is correct, Mono, but not what caused my problem. The offset from the body of the M92 doesn't seem to be relevant to my tests - in my case it is rather the bezel sticking out a few mm from the body. Turn the M92 upside down and let your finger slide down passed the audio connector from the bottom of the M92 - it will hit the top bezel on its way the few mm's from the bottom to the top of the e-reader.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
PeterHartman
PeterHartman began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
My audio problem also solved

A million thanks to all involved.
I can confirm I had the exact same issue. It feels like you pluged in the cable solid but it hits the case's bevel and the plug is thus not fully inserted. Purchasing a headphone with a smaller plug solves the issue. Never thought of that
Glad we solved this mystery

- The original poster -
PeterHartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I tried again with another pair of headphones, with a very narrow plastic plug - and alas, full stereo! Kudos to bob_tm for discovering the cause and sharing it with us!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote