Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-23-2024, 11:37 AM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorting through pictures

As I prepare for a Celebration of Life for my late wife, I'm busy going through her saved photos on Google Photos along with all of mine.

It's tiring! Sue's saved photos must contain at least 75% to 90% pictures of yarns she'd bought or images she'd saved from websites It takes time to head through all of them.

Of course this process is slowed by the fact that I had a major house fire beginning of this year losing all possessions, so all I have to go through is the electronic copies. Luckily while I didn't save either of our phones, I was able to purchase new SIMs and transfer numbers to a new phone so at least I could regain access to email accounts etc

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:42 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Huggs, Peter. That sounds tiring and yet good memories at the same time. Hope you are recovering from the fire; her passing may take longer yet. Best wishes with both!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2024, 09:56 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The fire is going to take a long time for the rebuild; the property management firm is saying it could easily be 12 months (or longer).

While I only got out with the clothes I was wearing, my wallet, keys and the Kobo on my cardigan pocket my only injury was minor burns on the back of both hands.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:00 AM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
All that distress brings to my mind a scene from Gladiator, which led me to look up its origin, a roman poet verse: Swift moons, moreover, recoup their celestial losses: when we have fallen and joined our father Aeneas and opulent Tullus and Ancus, we are dust and shadow. Wish you well, Peter.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:16 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There’s a lot of that going on lately: my cousin lost her life in a house fire a year ago, and a step-niece lost her house a month ago.

I mean, life is always bringing tragedies, but most of them don’t touch our lives, just someone else’s. It brings out more “feels” when it hits close.

And yeah, it takes quite a while. The recent one also has a 1-2 year estimate. The one a year ago is now partially habitable only because there are house builders in the family, and one spent 6 months away from his home to make the living area of this usable again.

Hope you are recovering mentally; that sounds very difficult.
Advert
Old 02-25-2024, 02:28 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The mental side has been ok. I've just accepted what has happened with the understanding that nothing I can do moving forward will change what happened.

Additionally I've accepted that while it was hard on me that my wife had not had a good "quality" of life for some time, what with her IBS, fibromyalgia, depression and then this last year diagnosis with lung cancer and then at the end complications with undiagnosed COVID-19 (only discovered when they tested her in Emergency).

Old 02-25-2024, 02:47 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

That’s a very healthy attitude!

Was your wife around for the fire, or was she gone before that?
Old 02-25-2024, 07:13 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
That's a lot.

Years ago my brother had a home that had propane for heat and utilities. One day he thought he smelled a gas leak and called the propane company. When he met the service truck in the driveway his house exploded. He said it was like a scene out of a Bruce Willis movie -- the walls all bulged out and flames shot out of the windows. He lost everything, including a car in the garage. And then he faced several years in court with his home insurance company, trying to get a fair settlement.

Ironically, given the "sorting through pictures" theme -- he has a specialized photography business on the side and lost decades of film archives.

I'm impressed by your mental resilience -- if it falters don't hesitate to seek help.

Take care.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:30 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
That’s a very healthy attitude!

Was your wife around for the fire, or was she gone before that?
Sue had passed in late November. We'd headed downtown on the Friday for a pre Chemo checkup; chemo was scheduled for the following Tuesday. She had a bad cough for a weeks which raised some red flags with the medical staff. An x-ray raised the possibility of pneumonia and they arranged for her to go to Emerg.

On admittance to Emerg tests showed COVID-19. The medical staff had trouble getting a line into a vein for fluids (she always had veins that were hard to find; plus I'm sure she was dehydrated).

I stayed until early evening and headed home with the understanding that she'd be transferred to a ward the next day.

Had a call from her around 10pm and yes, the plans were to move her to a ward the next day.

4am I had a call to inform me she had passed away

The fire happened on January 1st.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:24 AM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sue had passed in late November. We'd headed downtown on the Friday for a pre Chemo checkup; chemo was scheduled for the following Tuesday. She had a bad cough for a weeks which raised some red flags with the medical staff. An x-ray raised the possibility of pneumonia and they arranged for her to go to Emerg.

On admittance to Emerg tests showed COVID-19. The medical staff had trouble getting a line into a vein for fluids (she always had veins that were hard to find; plus I'm sure she was dehydrated).

I stayed until early evening and headed home with the understanding that she'd be transferred to a ward the next day.

Had a call from her around 10pm and yes, the plans were to move her to a ward the next day.

4am I had a call to inform me she had passed away

The fire happened on January 1st.

Oh my. So quickly, and from a side you didn’t expect. Huggs again.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:48 AM   #11
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Peter T, I am sorry for your loss.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:49 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Well I believe I've winnowed down the pictures from all sources; selected some readings for the Celebration; lined up two people to say a few words about Sue; found some songs to be sung during the service along with some music to be played both before and after!

Friends from the church are preparing a light lunch, and I have an urn with her ashes, a picture to be displayed besides it and some decorations.

Now just need a stand for the picture, and a hair cut.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:25 AM   #13
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sounds like a beautiful remembrance.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:01 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Pleased to say that everything went well! We had many present in person plus an international gathering via Zoom (Sue's brother from Mexico, my sister from the UK, a friend from the US, some local Toronto people, plus Sue's aunt from Northern Ontario).