Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The new HBO series Chernobyl

Anyone watched the HBO series Chernobyl? I'm pretty impressed. I was a teenager during that time and couldn't believe how realistic the Soviet milieu in the movie was. The only thing missing was the Russian language. The actors, too, seemed pretty realistic and didn't give off many U.S. vibes

Of course it's not a documentary, so one cannot expect that the events would be depicted with 100% accuracy. But they're close enough to the real thing, for a TV series.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The actors, too, seemed pretty realistic and didn't give off many U.S. vibes
Aren't most of them British?

I've only watched up to episode 3 so far, but I am enjoying it (although it's a bit harrowing in parts).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Anyone watched the HBO series Chernobyl? I'm pretty impressed. I was a teenager during that time and couldn't believe how realistic the Soviet milieu in the movie was. The only thing missing was the Russian language. The actors, too, seemed pretty realistic and didn't give off many U.S. vibes

Of course it's not a documentary, so one cannot expect that the events would be depicted with 100% accuracy. But they're close enough to the real thing, for a TV series.
I don't have HBO, so I haven't seen it. Unlike most historical events that occurred three decades ago or more, Chernobyl is still an active event. So they shouldn't run out of interesting topics for episodes any time soon. I've seen a lot of documentaries on Chernobyl, and there is plenty of subject matter available for such a series. Hopefully they do a good job with it rather than just turn it into a soap opera type of show.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Aren't most of them British?
Ah... perhaps so, haven't checked.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I don't have HBO, so I haven't seen it. Unlike most historical events that occurred three decades ago or more, Chernobyl is still an active event. So they shouldn't run out of interesting topics for episodes any time soon. I've seen a lot of documentaries on Chernobyl, and there is plenty of subject matter available for such a series. Hopefully they do a good job with it rather than just turn it into a soap opera type of show.
No, it isn't a soap opera at all. The firefighter and his pregnant wife (the only romantic bit in the series) are actually real historical characters, at least according to the Wikipedia.

It's a miniseries, there are only 5 episodes. So it's not going to drag endlessly on either.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've just started the third episode and I'm enjoying it, although that isn't the right word. The story gives me almost a claustrophobic and helpless feeling. But it's well made.

I was 5 years old at the time of the incident, I can only vaguely remember it. I know there was some anxiety because my mother was pregnant with my sister and it hadn't been an easy pregnancy to start with. One detail I can remember is that my parents were talking about how we couldn't eat spinach at the time. Weird how you can remember such random things.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've just started the third episode and I'm enjoying it, although that isn't the right word. The story gives me almost a claustrophobic and helpless feeling. But it's well made.
Yes, exactly. That's what I liked about it, that they didn't try to make a thriller or action flick or (God forbid) a romance, but stuck pretty close to the real events. Some reviewers complained it was boring. I can't understand how anyone can be bored while watching it, unless they expected another Titanic movie or something of the sort.

I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but boring? Really.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Yes, exactly. That's what I liked about it, that they didn't try to make a thriller or action flick or (God forbid) a romance, but stuck pretty close to the real events. Some reviewers complained it was boring. I can't understand how anyone can be bored while watching it, unless they expected another Titanic movie or something of the sort.

I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but boring? Really.
I think that if it had been fiction, then perhaps it could have been seen as boring to a certain extent. For me (4 episodes in) what makes it really riveting is the fact that it is a true story. That makes it infinitely more chilling in my opinion.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I think that if it had been fiction, then perhaps it could have been seen as boring to a certain extent. For me (4 episodes in) what makes it really riveting is the fact that it is a true story. That makes it infinitely more chilling in my opinion.
Oh, I agree. For pure fiction you need something quite different, because your viewers' expectations are different. What amazes me is that for some people there's apparently no difference at all between a true story and a fictional one.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What amazes me is that for some people there's apparently no difference at all between a true story and a fictional one.
Some folks seem to beleive GoT is factual.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote