Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #106
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have not had any problems at all with using touch on my Surface. It is very responsive.
Apache
My first tablet was a windows tablet back in 2007. I can't remember what program I used to read. It was kind of klunky, but then again, compared to reading on a Palm pilot, it was pretty nice.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #107
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have not had any problems at all with using touch on my Surface. It is very responsive.
Apache
Yep, same here. I use my Surface in the desktop mode and navigate with the pen. No problems. (Well, there was a problem last year with a Chrome update, afterwards the touch keyboard started popping up indiscriminately. But only in Chrome, and they've fixed the bug by now).

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-27-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:46 AM   #108
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Last I checked Kobo doesn't support nested collections, either.

e.g.
Fiction -> Children's -> Fantasy
Fiction -> Romance -> Humor
Fiction -> Romance -> Mystery
Non-Fiction -> Biographies
Non-Fiction -> History -> European -> Medieval
Using Calibre to manage your collections, you can achieve the same functional result, without the nesting mechanism. Multiple-tag these books Children's Fantasy & Children's & Fantasy & Fiction, Humourous Romance (etc etc), Romantic Suspense, Biography (fictional biography is not really a thing), Medieval European History.

This also avoids the problem of a book that belongs in multiple of your second-level folders, like Children's Romance or Historical Biography.

Last edited by meeera; 04-28-2019 at 12:49 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #109
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Using Calibre to manage your collections, you can achieve the same functional result, without the nesting mechanism. Multiple-tag these books Children's Fantasy & Children's & Fantasy & Fiction, Humourous Romance (etc etc), Romantic Suspense, Biography (fictional biography is not really a thing), Medieval European History.

Are you talking about on the Kobo? Are you talking about altering the book title on the Kobo?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #110
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

This also avoids the problem of a book that belongs in multiple of your second-level folders, like Children's Romance or Historical Biography.
I know that's possible. Caveat is that would create too many first level collections to wade through if the goal is storing my entire library on the device. I already do something similar but use e.g. "Romance, Romance-Historical", "Romance, Romance-Modern" for sorting purposes. (Note, I do want support for nested collections, not simply folder structure.)

In terms of storage space, there's already more than enough room for my library even with just 4GB (barring graphic novels). It's library management that's the sticking point. That's why right now, I only store less than a few hundred titles on my ereader - to keep both the number of collections and number of titles in a collection manageable/browsable.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #111
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I know that's possible. Caveat is that would create too many first level collections to wade through if the goal is storing my entire library on the device. I already do something similar but use e.g. "Romance, Romance-Historical", "Romance, Romance-Modern" for sorting purposes. (Note, I do want support for nested collections, not simply folder structure.)

In terms of storage space, there's already more than enough room for my library even with just 4GB (barring graphic novels). It's library management that's the sticking point. That's why right now, I only store less than a few hundred titles on my ereader - to keep both the number of collections and number of titles in a collection manageable/browsable.
That's pretty much the way I approach it. Non fiction is more or less manageable for me since I don't have more than a few hundred in any one category (i.e. History-American, History-Roman, History-WWII, etc...). SF&F is a different story all together. Since my Kobo is mostly used for hiking, I have a number of collections for the books that I normally want for hiking trips (to be read books, LOTR, various series)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #112
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I have Calibre Companion installed on my phone, and all of my books are in my Kindle cloud. If I'm away from my computer and looking for my next read, I'll use CC to figure out what I want to read, then download it to my Kindle. (This is one of the reasons why I tend to use my Kindle more often than my Kobo...I would have to keep my entire on the device, and it's much easier to just email my books from Calibre to my Amazon account than it is to connect my device to the computer every time I buy a book)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #113
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Of course, you could still store all your books on your device anyway. You mkight still find yourself going to Calibre or wherever to find your next read, but you would save the step of having to then add the book to your device.

I read differently than you and usually know what I want. Even with some crazy number of books on my Kobo, if you're looking for a single book it's just as if I had only a hundred.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #114
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Of course, you could still store all your books on your device anyway. You might still find yourself going to Calibre or wherever to find your next read, but you would save the step of having to then add the book to your device.

I read differently than you and usually know what I want. Even with some crazy number of books on my Kobo, if you're looking for a single book it's just as if I had only a hundred.
Search is pretty fast on the Kindle as well. Caveat, I read a ton of fanfics (a lot of them in-progress) and remembering titles and authors (usernames) for those is very difficult.

Thing is if I have internet (that includes hotspot on the phone), I already have ready access to my entire library via Calibre PHP server + ereader browser. I can just download books as needed so storing all my books on the ereader is unnecessary. Downloading on-demand is actually preferable so I have the latest updated versions and so new fics are on the top of the list when sorted by recent.

It's when I don't have internet that I need to have good library management directly on the device. My old PRS-350 with hierarchical tags via PRS Plus custom firmware was my favorite library management-wise. Alas, lack of front light ended up being a major deal breaker.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote