Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
umi4ebooks
umi4ebooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire / hd
How to get epubs from ibooks into Calibre ?

I have been reading loads of books on "kindles" and i am a happy user of the incredible "Calibre" tool to get this all sorted properly.

Recently I added a new gadget to my inventory and first ever i got stuck even using Calibre with it.

The new gadget is a macbook (air) and since it is a nice tool to work with i stored my new books (epub documents) on the respective tool "ibooks". (with no Calibre involved)

I thought once it is there i can easily also manage to transfer it for reading to any other of my readers. I was wrong.
Thanks to this forum i found at least the deeply hidden location on the mac where the books are kept in a broken up file structure.
But trying to import them into Calibre I miserably failed.

any advice for me ?
umi4ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Chandrak
Chandrak began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Well, it sort of depends on what you're trying to do.

1. If you're talking about taking books you bought in iBooks and transfer them to something else, you're pretty much out of luck unless you know how / are willing to strip the DRM out of the books. At least, thats the impression I've gotten from the forums here.

2. If you are trying to transfer things you put into iBooks yourself that were acquired elsewhere, then the books SHOULD be somewhere on your hard drive in their epub format. I'm not sure how it works on the mac side, as its been several years since I owned a mac desktop/laptop, but the books on my iPhone's version of iBooks are stored on my Desktop in the iTunes folder under iTunes / Books. In the iTunes interface I can right click on a given title and have it bring up a window to the location of the file. Those can be dragged directly into Calibre. I'd suggest checking iTunes and/or iBooks and see if you can select a title and then find its location. (Usually with right click or control/cmd- click, if you don't have a two button mouse)
Chandrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
KindleKid1960
KindleKid1960 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, Android
Select the book in the library view and drag it to the desktop - an epub will appear, which you can then import into Calibre. There isn't an easy one-step way of doing it, thanks to the abysmal file handling Apple have implemented.
KindleKid1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not easy to strip the DRM from iBooks eBooks. So to be honest, read them on your MAC in iBooks and never buy any more eBooks from Apple again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid1960 View Post
Select the book in the library view and drag it to the desktop - an epub will appear, which you can then import into Calibre. There isn't an easy one-step way of doing it, thanks to the abysmal file handling Apple have implemented.
If there is DRM, that will fail big time.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
umi4ebooks
umi4ebooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire / hd
thanks for all the answers.It was not about DRM protected content and i found a way to get the book from a deeply hidden library volume on the mac and finally got it into calibre via zip and import.
Booting my mac today i found my lib empty (the copy had happened a couple of boots before nad the lib was present..).
Not a too serious issue for me, but a confirmation for my decision to never ever make use of apple's ibook malware.
umi4ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #7
KindleKid1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by umi4ebooks View Post
i found a way to get the book from a deeply hidden library volume on the mac and finally got it into calibre via zip and import.
As opposed to dragging and dropping it from ibooks? Why? It was designed to do exactly that.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
KindleKid1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If there is DRM, that will fail big time.
No it won't. You won't be able to read it, but it will drop and copy into Calibre just fine.

I take it you haven't tried what you are saying will 'fail big time'?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid1960 View Post
No it won't. You won't be able to read it, but it will drop and copy into Calibre just fine.

I take it you haven't tried what you are saying will 'fail big time'?
It will fail as you cannot then get it into iBooks on an iOS device. You cannot convert it to another format. You cannot read it in Calibre's viewer. It's a big fail if it has DRM.

I know Calibre will accept it with DRM, but there's nothing you can do with it that would make it readable.

Tags
calibre, ibooks, import