Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
However, iBooks refuses to open it. It tells me that "Failed to load book because the requested resource is missing." As far as I'm aware, the book shouldn't be requesting any resources or trying to access anything outside itself.

Is anybody familiar with this error?
Did you run your EPUB through epubcheck?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #17
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Did you run your EPUB through epubcheck?
Yes, ePubCheck passes it, as do Calibre and Sigil's built-in checkers.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #18
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, do you want your eBooks to work outside of iBooks/Books or do you want them to just work with iBooks/Books?

The advice given is very good advice. I don't get why you won't heed it?
I'm not going to heed it because it's irrelevant to my concerns! The book already works just fine outside of iBooks! Making changes to make it work better outside of iBooks wouldn't solve any of my problems!
Old 11-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #19
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Meanwhile, I was able to figure out a solution on my own — at least, I think this is the thing out of all the things I tried that worked.

I manually removed the UUID from the OPF and had Calibre generate a new one, then imported it into iTunes, which added an iTunes metadata .plist to the file. It now runs happily on all versions of Books.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I would really prefer if people gave me advice for the show-stopping problem I am actually having and not advising me on how to format footnotes, because the alternative is trying to get information from Apple on what's going wrong and I don't look forward to that.
What I offered is a 100% reliable workaround to the issue caused by how you are trying to do footnotes. While Apple is about 50% for phones in USA they are 12% to 15% elsewhere. Here the main iPad users are schools due to Apple incentives.

On eBooks, Amazon has 90% of the worldwide market and next highest dedicated ereaders all only fully support epub2, only various amounts of epub3.
Most ebooks are read on phone apps and Apple Books has maybe less than 8% of that world wide.

So
1) What you are trying to do isn't best for the Apple Ecosystem.
2) It limits you to maybe 8% or less of people that buy ebooks.

I'm only suggesting how footnotes are managed (i.e. activated), the actual formatting can be anything compatible. Also never use a link ONLY in the superscript number. Link the entire source word as we gave up the high resolution stylus when Resistive Touch PDAs died. Almost all modern touch is very low resolution. I actually use a slightly larger viewing font size if doing a lot of annotation as it makes selection very much easier.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What I offered is a 100% reliable workaround to the issue caused by how you are trying to do footnotes. While Apple is about 50% for phones in USA they are 12% to 15% elsewhere. Here the main iPad users are schools due to Apple incentives.

On eBooks, Amazon has 90% of the worldwide market and next highest dedicated ereaders all only fully support epub2, only various amounts of epub3.
Most ebooks are read on phone apps and Apple Books has maybe less than 8% of that world wide.

So

I'm only suggesting how footnotes are managed (i.e. activated), the actual formatting can be anything compatible. Also never use a link ONLY in the superscript number. Link the entire source word as we gave up the high resolution stylus when Resistive Touch PDAs died. Almost all modern touch is very low resolution. I actually use a slightly larger viewing font size if doing a lot of annotation as it makes selection very much easier.
You realize that you're beating your head against the wall, right?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
What I offered is a 100% reliable workaround to the issue caused by how you are trying to do footnotes.
Note that the OP's problem in this thread wasn't to do with the footnotes at all.

If the OP wants help with footnotes, I'm sure they'll ask in a new thread.

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Note that the OP's problem in this thread wasn't to do with the footnotes at all.

If the OP wants help with footnotes, I'm sure they'll ask in a new thread.

Paul:

Yes, as it turned OUT. I mean, we're good, but not prescient. :-)

P.S., plus, is there an actual forum or site rule that says, "thou shalt only answer what's asked?" "Thine opinions are unwelcome?"

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 11-14-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: P.S. added.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Paul:

Yes, as it turned OUT. I mean, we're good, but not prescient. :-)

Hitch
I have no issue with suggestions made before footnotes were ruled out as the problem.

But members should not take over threads with their own personal hobby-horses.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

So

What do you think of something like this for the footnote marker [01]? It's what I prefer in a normal font size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:13 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What do you think of something like this for the footnote marker [01]? It's what I prefer in a normal font size.
Jon, did you read the message immediately prior to your message that I quoted?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote