Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Cepheus
Cepheus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Reliable way to sideload Fire 7

This is something that is probably simple to do but I've Googled this multiple times and still can't find a reliable way to do this. I've tried sideloading the Fire 7 via usb connected to my mac and using Android File Transfer. If I change the USB setting to 'Transfer Files' I can see the file structure of the Fire tablet and copy a mobi file to either the Books folder or Documents folder. The mobi's have been created by me and have no DRM. When I copy files into either of these folders they can never be opened in the Fire tablet.

On the tablet these files cannot even be seen in the Books app and although the files can be seen in the Docs app they cannot be opened. Sometimes I will even get a message saying there is no program on the device that can open the file.

I’ve even tried converting the mobi file to a .kpf file or an .azk file and still had the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
try other formats e.g. try azw,( made in calibre conversion) and try a folder that is not used for special purposes e.g. My books instead of Books

i seem to recall someone else having a similar issue with .mobi, so a forum search may help also ( it was quite some time ago)
the other option is to mail your files to yourself via amazon using send to kindle, Mobi is allowed, and that should add them to " documents" within the Kindle app. the fire tablet will have a "kindle" email address which you can change & you will also have to whitelist the email you send from.
you may also have to manually select an app for opening docs. download a free utility for setting default apps, from app store, & see if that helps
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Have you tried using calibre?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Cepheus
Cepheus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the responses. It seems I can sideload AZW files. If they come from another source. For whatever reason mine are no good. Unfortunately seems like a mobi file will just not sideload.

Personally I don't use Calibre. We use XML/XSLT/XHTML-CSS system.
Cepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cepheus View Post
Thanks for the responses. It seems I can sideload AZW files. If they come from another source. For whatever reason mine are no good. Unfortunately seems like a mobi file will just not sideload.

If you have an example of a book that does not work in MOBI format and is not under copyright you could attach it to a post here. I and others here could take a look and see if there is anything unusual that could account for the problem.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cepheus View Post

I was suggesting that you use calibre just to move the book to your Fire, as a second opinion on ‘What Works’. To eliminate a variable, or copy its technique.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire tablet 7, kinde fire, kindle fire 7hd