Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Epub to Epub loses TOC

When I convert an epub to epub I sometimes lose the TOC.

I create my epubs using OpenOffice. The results from OO are beautiful with full TOCs. If I open the source epub in Sigil it shows all the TOC entries, as does Adobe DE. After importing to Calibre I convert epub to epub to insert the cover art. But, I'm losing the TOC.

I have unchecked "Force use of auto-gen TOCs". I've also tried with it checked. Sometimes the converted epub has some TOC entries, but not all.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Bump. Any setting I can change?

I'm concerned because my entire library is in epub and I'm considering going to a Kindle. I'd like to think I could convert my epubs to mobi and not lose formatting or TOC support.
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Bump. Any setting I can change?

I'm concerned because my entire library is in epub and I'm considering going to a Kindle. I'd like to think I could convert my epubs to mobi and not lose formatting or TOC support.
You can mark the file you want as a cover using Sigil by making sure the cover is in the Images file, and identified in the OPF file. An example can be found in the help file, about a third of the way down this page:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/hg/epub_overview.html

As you've found, running an already converted document through a second converter causes problems, some of which you might not be able to see as easily as the missing TOC.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
edbro
Banned

Thanks. I could add the coverart in OpenOffice Writer also. Now I'm more concerned about using epubs now as my archival copy to use for conversion to any other format.

I may have to rethink that. I used to use html files as my archival copy because I thought epubs were easier to convert from.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're confusing an inline TOC with an actual metadata TOC. Read the conversion section of the user manual.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
edbro
Banned

Quote:
When the input document has a Table of Contents in its metadata, calibre will just use that.
I assumed that the TOC entries that Sigil shows in the TOC editor are metadata based. There are not any TOC pages with hyperlinks in the epubs.

Most epubs were edited in Word, saved as Filtered Html. All chapter titles have H1/H2 sytles. No TOC is added in Word. From there, copied/pasted into OO Writer and converted to epub. Double checking in Sigil shows all formatting to be fine and TOC entries are all there. Conversion in Calibre without using Force TOC will sometimes produce epubs with "Start" as the only TOC entry.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigil auto generates a toc from heading entries. If you want calibre to do the same you have to use the TOC generation options, as described in the User Manual.

The default TOC generation algorithms of Sigil and calibre are different, hence the difference.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote