Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
Kindle Firmware Update 5.9.7

Here’s what’s new:

Return borrowed books: You can now return books from within your library by long pressing on a borrowed book and selecting return.

Performance improvements and other general enhancements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680

Last edited by rioachim; 07-30-2018 at 12:44 PM.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
- placeholder - soon to be released, source code is already live

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680
Any word on what will be different?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
might be a bit premature. Source code for Oasis 2 that is out there is 5.9.6.1
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
might be a bit premature. Source code for Oasis 2 that is out there is 5.9.6.1
Source code is here ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720

Not that you can do much with it, but it does show 5.9.7.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:01 AM   #5
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Source code is here ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720

Not that you can do much with it, but it does show 5.9.7.
the tarball archive says that it is impossible to download it, says access is prohibited
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2018, 04:11 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendesa View Post
the tarball archive says that it is impossible to download it, says access is prohibited
I guess they're not ready to release it yet. I guess it's still a "placeholder" (like the OP said about this thread). But at least it let's us know 1) That new firmware about to come out and, 2) What the release's number will be. I just hope they don't mess up the Custom Font feature. That makes the newer Kindles much nicer.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess they're not ready to release it yet. I guess it's still a "placeholder" (like the OP said about this thread). But at least it let's us know 1) That new firmware about to come out and, 2) What the release's number will be. I just hope they don't mess up the Custom Font feature. That makes the newer Kindles much nicer.
I hope they add the function that is on the Oasis, they are black and clear characters, to read better at night. However, a new update is always good news.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Edit: The software update page is now updated.

The link to download source code is also working now.

---

What's New:

Quote:
Version 5.9.7 - July 2018

Return borrowed books: You can now return books from within your library by long pressing on a borrowed book and selecting return.

Performance improvements and other general enhancements.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-30-2018 at 09:46 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I just downloaded and updated my Kindle Paperwhites using my Chromebook. All is fine.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Edit: The software update page is now updated.
I just borrowed a book from the library last night – so I'm going to see if the Return Borrowed Book option now shows up. ... (8th Generation Kindle aka NT3).

Yep. A new "Return to Public Library" option appears when long pressing. (Haven't actually tried it yet because I haven't read the book.)

EDIT: Overall the Kindle seems a little "snappier." The 5.6.1 update seemed to have introduced some small glitches (but it was worth it for the Custom Fonts). I'm hoping the 5.9.7 update cleans up those little glitches.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-30-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that you can return both Library and Kindle Unlimited books, and they do not have to be on the device to return them.

The iOS app does not yet let you return library books from the app, only KU titles. I mostly use the Amazon app to do this (from Account -> Content and Devices).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I can't believe there isn't more excitement about this update. It's about time that Amazon added this feature to the firmware. I wonder if they were prohibited before from making it too easy. When I'm done with a book, now I can immediately return it from my Kindle. What an inconvenience the old method was!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:21 AM   #13
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Oh nice! I also like how there are now Amazon and Goodreads links with a long press. I didn't notice that before?

I'll definitely be returning loans when I'm done now. Didn't always think of it before.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
I am sort of waiting to hear how others like it. I do not use the library so the main thing added does nothing for me. Now if there are performance or battery life improvements then I am likely to try it. But I do not think anything is said about that in the release notes.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #15
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
So, previously it was impossible to return a borrowed book?
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote