Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #16
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
C'mon now Murg, disagreeing with the developer's choice of date format is really pushing the definition of a bug... Though I can sympathize whenever I'm unsure whether it's month or day first and it may be important to know when looking at someone's research or the like.
This is specifically refering to the annotation dates, as displayed on the Annotations screen.

This is very clearly a chunk of user information and not developer information (like the firmware date is). As such, it should be in the format that the user is expecting it to be in. Kobo sold me an Australian device, makes me buy books from them in the Australian Kobo site, paying in Australian dollars and paying Australian GST. The least I can expect is that dates are displayed in Australian format (or at least standard non-US format).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #17
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Still a preference and not a bug unless it somehow does not work as it was intended. It seems fair to assume(treacherous, I know), that it was intended to be implemented as mm/dd/yyyy unless proven otherwise.

I understand why you would prefer it, as would I were the tables turned, it is only sensible. However, what you are calling a bug is a feature you would prefer, NOT A BUG.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
We are talking about dates when device is in English, aren't we? Because, with the Spanish interface, all the dates have the same format, dd/mm/yyyy.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Still a preference and not a bug unless it somehow does not work as it was intended.
It doesn't work as intended, because 01/02/2013 is interpreted as the 1st of February, not the 2nd of January. I will note that I'm assuming, here, that the intention is that a reasonable user will be able to interpret user date data readily.

This particular date format is not a "preference" here. YYYYMMDD vs DDMMYY would be a preference. The US's idiosyncratic way of presenting dates is just wrong in Australia, as it is everywhere else in the world apart from Belize. There is no reason that a user should be expected to somehow guess that a device bought in Australia from an Australian company and made by a Canadian/Japanese company would be presenting dates in US format.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #20
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
Whilst showing the date in MMDDYY may be intended, and so not strictly speaking a bug, it is totally incorrect outside of the US. It is not a valid date format and should be fixed for the rest-of-the-world market. It's a basic design fault like showing another country's time or language.
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Bug: Dates are in US date format (m/dd/yyyy)

Reproducible: Yes

New: NO, bug was present in previous firmwares

Kepub or epub: epub.

Seeing how the Kobo is an 'international' device, it would be nice if date format was either configurable, or the month was spelled out (12 Feb 2013), with the month being supplied by the language.
Seeing how Kobo Is Really a Canadian Device I dont see the issue of the Date being a bug. It simply is they way it was intended. Yes it would be nice to have the ability to select how the date is displayed but it is not the end all of end all things. Lets focus on real issues not made up ones.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Bug: Navigate back arrow doesn't return to correct page. (epub only).

Can anyone else reproduce this bug? Is it new in 2.4.0?

To reproduce: Open an epub book, note the page it is on, bring up the reading menu and select the navigate <--> function, use the slider to move to another page, then tap the back arrow. Does it return to the starting page? I find it goes to a page a few pages ahead of the starting page instead.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Bug: Annotation selection thumbs unstable while selecting.

New: NO, bug was present in previous firmwares

Kepub or epub: epub.
My suggestion to Kobo developers is to give the current selection mechanism up and implement the following one (or, even better, let the user choose):

1) First Tap: start selection mode, from the tapped point
--- This allows selection on multiple "pages"...
2) Second Tap: end selection mode, to the tapped point
3) Display selection handles, to fine-tune selection, if needed.

Relatively easy to implement, support multi-page selection, more efficient.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
I'd already posted this in the 2.4.0. thread, but I'll reproduce here:

Device: New Touch running Glo firmware

Bug: Bold still showing instead of Italics on some fonts, both system and side-loaded. Affected system fonts: Avenir, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel, Ryumin (italicised but also bold). Affected side-loaded fonts: Droid Serif, Lexia DaMa, Liberation Mono/Sans/Serif, Times New Roman.

New: NO, bug was present in previous firmwares (post 2.1.5)

Kepub or epub: epub
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
We are talking about dates when device is in English, aren't we? Because, with the Spanish interface, all the dates have the same format, dd/mm/yyyy.
I'm glad to see date is apparently sorted according to language. Just like the 24h clock.

One huge fat mistake with this is assuming all English-users are American/Canadian or use mm/dd formatting.

I live in The Netherlands, am English, and *hate* a 12 hour clock and *hate* having to think what way around the date was meant every time I see a date. I want my system in English, I want a 24h clock, and I either want user customisable date format or a clear yyyy/mm/dd format.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

I think adopting YYYY/MM/DD would solve for all use cases wouldn't it? It's the format used to save logs etc on computers as jusmee already said.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post

One huge fat mistake with this is assuming all English-users are American/Canadian or use mm/dd formatting.

I live in The Netherlands, am English, and *hate* a 12 hour clock and *hate* having to think what way around the date was meant every time I see a date. I want my system in English, I want a 24h clock, and I either want user customisable date format or a clear yyyy/mm/dd format.
I live in Montreal and feel the same way.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Date issue? Really is that all we are hung up on?

Honestly people there are way more important things to focus on. How many of you actually use your Kobo as your personal Calender? I am betting not one of you do that. So who cares how the date is displayed we dont use it at all. As to 24/12 hour clocks really as long as am/pm indicated we can all do the time those that have a conventional wind up watch usually only have numbers 1 to 12 on them... that said probably a few have dual numbers. Bottom line though is we dont use the Kobo in any way to tell us the day of the month or use it as a calender. So why go on about it? Its a Canadian Device the date method that is used is the acceptable date method in North America period. Prehaps the developers will indulge us and make the change and hopefully they will! The bottom line though is your world of reading will not end because the date and time are not displayed in your favourite method.

And on that note if this is really all we have to rant about with the problems of meteors crashing to earth, schools being shot up, insane police going on rampages, then really when you put it into perspective life is good of us Koboists don't you think? Now quit your whining and lets get on with the real issues at hand.

Regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Honestly people there are way more important things to focus on. How many of you actually use your Kobo as your personal Calender? I am betting not one of you do that. So who cares how the date is displayed we dont use it at all. As to 24/12 hour clocks really as long as am/pm indicated we can all do the time those that have a conventional wind up watch usually only have numbers 1 to 12 on them... that said probably a few have dual numbers. Bottom line though is we dont use the Kobo in any way to tell us the day of the month or use it as a calender. So why go on about it? Its a Canadian Device the date method that is used is the acceptable date method in North America period. Prehaps the developers will indulge us and make the change and hopefully they will! The bottom line though is your world of reading will not end because the date and time are not displayed in your favourite method.
While I see where you're coming from and can actually understand that you feel that way – I'm afraid I also feel that you cannot judge how important the 'issue' is for other people. I personally keep track of when I last synced my Kobo by looking at the date given in the "three lines menu." And I get confused every single time I see the date. I'm afraid I will never get used to the "wrong" way round (for me). The same goes for the 12h clock. When I'm in bed reading, completely immersed in my book, and I quickly check the time to see if I need to stop reading and go to sleep and I see a "11:55," I'm immediately disoriented. "Wait what? It's day already? Oh wait, no, it says pm." I've been trained to see morning time in numbers above 12 and afternoon and evening in numbers below 12 (13-23 and then 0). The am/pm addition doesn't help, it's not the way I look at numbers.

So yes, in fact, for me, these settings are a nuisance.

Quote:
And on that note if this is really all we have to rant about with the problems of meteors crashing to earth, schools being shot up, insane police going on rampages, then really when you put it into perspective life is good of us Koboists don't you think?
Well sure. Yes. But then, you can say that about every single bug. Tiny illegible fonts every new chapter? Kobo not remembering the last page you read? Kobo battery only lasts 5 days? So what? People are getting killed somewhere in the world!

Quote:
Now quit your whining and lets get on with the real issues at hand.
I actually find that rather harsh.

As per above: issues that are non-issues for you can be actual issues for others.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #30
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
And on that note if this is really all we have to rant about with the problems of meteors crashing to earth, schools being shot up, insane police going on rampages, then really when you put it into perspective life is good of us Koboists don't you think? Now quit your whining and lets get on with the real issues at hand.
It's all about context. What sort of comments were you expecting to read in a thread entitled "Glo 2.4.0 bugs"? If someone were seriously contemplating suicide then your comments might be appropriate in that context. Berating people for voicing what irritates them about the latest Kobo firmware (in the correct forum) is itself irksome and in the context of the thread unhelpful.

(with apologies to Danger who was trying to keep this thread free of noise)