Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-14-2022, 03:40 PM   #30946
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
After watching the latest Marvel movie about Thor, I became interested in Norse mythology. I found the book "In the Days of Giants: A Book of Norse Tales" by Abbie Farwell Brown for free, courtesy of Project Gutenberg. It is a fairly accessible book, written in modern English. I'm halfway through the book, but now I know how Odin lost an eye, who gave Thor his hammer, and what happened to Loki's sons.

Last edited by guanaco; 08-14-2022 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Weird verb
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #30947
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have this, so I'll have to check it out - that is, when I get out of prison.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't think it's available as an ebook.
You are welcome. He was a great editor and really knew how to choose the stories

You are correct, it's not available as an ebook. And despite certain ----------'s innuendos, THIS was a personal scan of my paper collection. There's a whole world of un-ebooked ebooks
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #30948
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Finished Immortal Coil and liked it a lot!

On a Star Trek kick it seems, so I picked up a book I got on sale this month: Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1) by Christopher L. Bennett. Have one chapter down and it’s interesting so far. I’ve never even watched the episode that the main characters of these books showed up in but it doesn’t seem to hinder the reading experience.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #30949
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley. A recent biography, and my most recent purchase.
And I was very impressed. A good, interesting read.

Next up: A Master of Djinn by P Djèli Clark. Another recent purchase
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:30 AM   #30950
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished Asterix at the Olympic Games. Oh the names, the names, so funny
Old 08-20-2022, 06:13 AM   #30951
Bookstooge
Guru

Am starting on EF Benson's Mapp and Lucia series. Written during the 1920's about that time period, Benson introduces us to the small town the series is going to take place in and one of its major inhabitants, Queen Lucia.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:55 AM   #30952
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I only rate books on one criteria - either I liked it or I didn't. I don't have a checklist like character development, plot, flowing prose, politically correct, etc.

There is one thing that will almost always cause me to dislike a book. A giant cliffhanger at the end designed to make you buy the next book in the series. I consider serialized books that just stop mid-story to fall into this category by default. If I run into that, I pretty much abandon the series on the spot (although there have been a few exceptions).
I'm very much the same on both counts! LotR gets a free pass, but serial books to me is paying for an incomplete story. There are enough series books that manage to tie up the immediate action and continue into the series without leaving us screaming in frustration.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #30953
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I'm currently reading The Institute by Stephen King and Jumper by Steven Gould. I had seen the film of Jumper long ago and enjoyed it but the book is even better!

And now I've just discovered it's a series while looking up the author's name. I'm doomed.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:18 AM   #30954
Bookstooge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I'm currently reading The Institute by Stephen King and Jumper by Steven Gould. I had seen the film of Jumper long ago and enjoyed it but the book is even better!

And now I've just discovered it's a series while looking up the author's name. I'm doomed.
I believe there are only 3 books in the Jumper "series", so you should be just fine. Unless Gould's written more since I read the last one in '12 (so maybe you ARE doomed )
Old 08-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #30955
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I really liked the first two sets of Thomas Covenant chronicles, but the Last Chronicles I found ... somewhat annoying. The Last Chronicles rewrites history a bit, not changing it as such, but introducing another layer that didn't entirely convince me. But he writes well so I had no trouble finishing, and I ended up satisfied, although a couple of the books come close to a 3/5 (lower than any of the first books). I'll probably reread them sometime just to see if things look different second time around.
Same. I didn't completely dislike Last Chronicles, but I felt they sort of cheated White Gold Wielder of its rightful claim to being the finale of the Thomas Covenant saga. For no really good reason to boot. For me, the Last Chronicles lurched between inspiration and tediousness. Just when I thought a corner was being turned, he pulled the rug out from under me again.

I've often said that I believe his scifi Gap series to be Donaldson's finest work. I would love to see him tackle something completely new again.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #30956
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Am starting on EF Benson's Mapp and Lucia series. Written during the 1920's about that time period, Benson introduces us to the small town the series is going to take place in and one of its major inhabitants, Queen Lucia.
Among my favorite books, although, typically, the last couple aren’t as good as the first four. All are in the public domain in Life + 70 (and in the MR library); the first two are pd in the US with the third entering pd next year.

I prefer the reading order as in the series when I first read it, with Lucia in London coming second ahead of Miss Mapp; I think the flow is much better.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #30957
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
[...] I've often said that I believe his scifi Gap series to be Donaldson's finest work. I would love to see him tackle something completely new again.
Yes, I think I would agree with that. As much as I enjoyed the first two Covenent chronicles, the Gap series is quite astounding. It is dark and ugly at times, especially that first short novel (The Real Story) which can be hard to get past.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #30958
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
We read this a few years ago for the MR Book Club if you want to see some more discussion about it when you're done. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284673
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:55 PM   #30959
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It is dark and ugly at times, especially that first short novel (The Real Story) which can be hard to get past.
Weirdest beginning (including the title) to an epic series, ever. It was more like a novella. And yes, a somewhat ugly one at that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:42 AM   #30960
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And I was very impressed. A good, interesting read.

Next up: A Master of Djinn by P Djèli Clark. Another recent purchase
Which was OK to good.

next up: Facets of Glass by Ruth Nestvold. A recent freebie.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote