Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2023, 04:42 AM   #2971
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
While I was still using stock reading software and KFX books (last 6 months I've switched over to KOReader + epub combo) this bug / this issue with SS hack annoyed me sufficiently to go and use my limited programming knowledge to modify "ExtractCoverThumbs" Python script and re-package it as a KUAL extension which I use to "pre-process" / "pre-extract" correct cover image from KFX books and dump them into that folder used by SS hack.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1182

Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tFdRxeDtD5QCCzNhgFIdNDi3Nflm0d8/view?usp=sharing
So, after every new batch of transfered KFX files I run that "fix KFX covers" extension and then SS hack will use the images, luckily it doesn't try to overwrite existing files inside that "cover cache" folder.
Whoa! I am writing before I check your code/plugin, but thank you so much for that in advance. I can "read" programming languages but I can't (no longer at least) speak them so I would have never been able to come up with anything like that.
And reading the thread where the message you reference is, most important, I got to understand what the issue was, so thank you very much!

PS: Unfortunately I really don't like KOReader and what is more important, the way you are forced to operate when using KOReader on the kindle, not using Calibre... it doesn't suit my "workflow", so your solution is very very much appreciated!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 05:09 AM   #2972
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
W
p.s. The image resolution is "hardcoded" to screen resolution of Kindle PW3 since that was the device I was using that KUAL extension
I found that part:

Code:
 if fix_thumb:
        #cover.thumbnail((283, 415), Image.ANTIALIAS)
        cover = cover.resize((1072, 1448), Image.ANTIALIAS)
    else:
        #cover.thumbnail((305, 470), Image.ANTIALIAS)
        cover = cover.resize((1072, 1448), Image.ANTIALIAS)
I think I will leave it in place, 'cause I own a PW4 whose resolution is as far as I know, the same (or at least not too different) than PW3, but...
What happens if I simply comment the whole 'if' out, so no resizing at all? Would it work anyway? Or is it necessary to have at least the "old" part, cover.thumbnail in place? I don't think so...

On the other hand, if one wanted to make it more general, I guess a new function would be needed to identify the kindle model, look its resolution in a hardcoded table maybe, and then give the specific WxH values to the cover.resize function right?
Not gonna ask YOU to do that, don't worry , I just wanted, out of curiosity, to understand if that would be the way to go.
If I recall correctly, identify the kindle model should be possible "from the inside" in some way...
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2023, 05:38 AM   #2973
ppirx
ppirx began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 (90D4 XXXX) 5.12.2.2 - & - tolino shine3
PW2 5.12.2.2 Screensaver and Time strange behavior

Helle everyone!!
first, thanks to the devs for the amazing work here!

Problem:
Screensaver just showed the coverbook once and the time has a strange behavior...!?
i get:
The Screensavers Hack is in 'cover' mode, but hasn't yet successfully processed a book cover

-i waited a long time, set time in kindle settings, rebooted ... with no luck !?

eReader:
My PW2 (90D4 XXXX ) is finally jailbroken, has MRPI, KUAL, Helper, Python, Screensaver and Fonts installed. Yay!
I read that the screensaver needs about some time to process the cover images (ca. 30-60 sec.)
then did i read about the system time to be set to get it work properly which makes totally sense, so i set it right and realized the strange behavior.

Then i read again and that the Kindle needs to be registered for a inital correct timesetting, BUT and here i got confused, i read a thousand times to stay in Flight mode and fear those evil updates.
I made it trough the "secret gesture" "Ahaa.." hurdle and had several tries with the wrong FW (had 5.12.2! before and updatet then to the exact needed FW 5.12.2.2 for the JB)

But the bookcover just showed up one time.
I better ask now, what to do. do i need to register the kindle? is it still safe in Feb 2023? :-D

What are the steps to get it work...

cheers D
ppirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:14 PM   #2974
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
This hack is effectively unsupported on FW versions that actually support cover mode natively, so I wouldn't even know what to tell you to look for.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:26 PM   #2975
Smitmiller
Smitmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
KOA2 FW 5.10.3 screensaver install failed

I recently jailbroke my KOA2, FW 5.10.3, installed MRPI, KUAL, and Helper, and paid to have the ads removed from my Kindle. That all works. Now I’m trying to install the screensaver hack, and that failed.

After installation, I see the default screensaver. I did not see a warning at the bottom of the screen. The Screen Savers menu shows up, and I can choose “Cover” and restart the framework and I can see the correct cover in the Preview current Screen Saver, but no dice on the screensaver itself.

Here are the steps I took:
  • Connect Kindle to Mac
  • Place Update_python_0.15.N_install_pw2_and_up.bin in mrpackages folder on Kindle
  • Place Update_linkss_0.25.N_install_pw2_and_up.bin in mrpackages folder on Kindle
  • Eject Kindle and unplug
  • Run Install MR Packages in KUAL Helper
  • “Running install.sh” (I saw both the Python and Bellatrix screens for the install)
  • “Success”
  • Restart
  • Put Kindle to sleep.
Drat, I see the default screensaver.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. After each uninstall, everything that was installed seems to have been deleted. The Kindle has several GB of space available.

Help me, Kindle screensaver folks, you're my only hope!
Smitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2023, 09:48 PM   #2976
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitmiller View Post
I see the default screensaver.
Describe it.

(Hint: if it shows a "slide to unlock" banner, your device is still flagged as a Special Offers, which explains your problem).
Old 02-08-2023, 10:46 PM   #2977
Smitmiller

Aha, it does still say, "Slide to unlock."

On Amazon, the details section of my Device Summary says:
SPECIAL OFFERS
TURNED OFF

Based on that, is there anything in particular I need to do other than contact Amazon? I do have OTA updates blocked, since I verrrry much prefer the old user interface.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:38 PM   #2978
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I would imagine a sync and a reboot should have taken care of it, but it's been a while since I toggled SO on a Kindle myself .
Old 02-09-2023, 12:02 AM   #2979
Smitmiller

NiLuJe, your wish is my Kindle's command! I had already turned on wi-fi multiple times to download books, deliberately synced a couple of times other than that, and then restarted I don't know how many times, but you said it and it worked.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:41 PM   #2980
ppirx

PW2 FW 5.12.2.2 Screensaver cover mode? natively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
This hack is effectively unsupported on FW versions that actually support cover mode natively, so I wouldn't even know what to tell you to look for.
Eh!? the PW2 on FW 5.12.2.2 has screensaver cover mode natively?
can't find any Screensaver settings there on that Kindle??

But the hack is working now, i registered the kindle again and used one of those files from the calibre "amazon cover_bug" directory. I copied one from there to the process dir in the screensaver hack and had it processing from KUAL settings, now it does it for all the opened books as mentioned... thanks again!

By the way the Koreader has a wonderful + too because of its dark mode, which is really great!!
thanks for that too!! amazing work..

... still cant find those "support cover mode natively" settings...

Last edited by ppirx; 02-14-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:47 PM   #2981
ppirx

going wifi is really evil

Oh, and going wifi is really evil, i have the face of prince harry now on my homescreen... :-D
Old 03-05-2023, 05:49 PM   #2982
Ighor
Ighor began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
I have PW2 and ScreenSavers Hack did work fine on 5.12.2 FW.
I updated to 5.12.2.2 and it stopped to work, and no matter what I try it doesn't work again.
Also I tried to downgrade to 5.12.2 back, but it still not work.
Any advice? Is it supported by 5.12.2.2?
Ighor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:06 PM   #2983
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ighor View Post
I have PW2 and ScreenSavers Hack did work fine on 5.12.2 FW.
I updated to 5.12.2.2 and it stopped to work, and no matter what I try it doesn't work again.
Also I tried to downgrade to 5.12.2 back, but it still not work.
Any advice? Is it supported by 5.12.2.2?
There are posts on this same page that say it will not work on firmware that natively support screensaver cover mode and specifically call out 5.12.2.2

Did you not read them?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:46 PM   #2984
Ighor
Ighor began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There are posts on this same page that say it will not work on firmware that natively support screensaver cover mode and specifically call out 5.12.2.2

Did you not read them?
I just did it, but it is still not clear why it did work on 5.12.2, and it doesn't after I downgraded. If it helps, please tell me which FW it is ok to downgrade to get it fixed.
Ighor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:08 AM   #2985
ppirx

FW versions that actually support cover mode natively

I am still confused and embarrassed,
everything works great now and the koreader is an amazing ereader, took me some books to realize the many great details it has and i got it on my tolino shine 3 now aswell!
In combination with the ultrafast stardict dictionary from an user here.

But i do not understand, the mentioned Kindle FW 5.12.2.2 itself hast Cover Mode? Or do you mean Kual or the KOreader can handle it on that specific FW itself?
Because i can not see any settings for this Screen Saver Mode on the kindle OS!?

And i have an new question, how do you guys copy books through wifi from a nas to your kindle, or is there a filemanager wich can handle this you can recommend?

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch