Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #121
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.presser View Post
The above scenarios are well and good for old eBooks; however, new ones appear to require the KFX format. Are there plans to support the KFX format in Calibre? This seems to me to be the long term solution.
Calibre doesn't support any DRMed book. You can ask over on Apprentice Alf's blog to see if there is any headway in deciphering the new format / DRM. That is where the current DeDRM plugin was hatched.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #122
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
The above scenarios are well and good for old eBooks; however, new ones appear to require the KFX format.
I know of no books that require KFX format. There are some, such as the Kindle in Motion titles, that have enhanced features when delivered in KFX format. But as far as I know all of these books are delivered in the older formats to devices and apps that do not support KFX.

If you know anything different, I would be interested to hear about it.

Quote:
Are there plans to support the KFX format in Calibre? This seems to me to be the long term solution.
Unfortunately it isn't something that can be done at this time. The main problem is that all books in KFX format delivered by Amazon have DRM and no solution to remove that DRM currently exists. There is an open issue on Apprentice Harper's github regarding this. Without this, the ability to convert from KFX to other e-book format would be useless.

I have looked into the possibility of converting from KFX should DRM removal eventually become available. I have come to the conclusion that while this is possible it would be a fairly large amount of work to implement since KFX is highly processed from the original format. In the end the result would not be as true to the original format as can be obtained by converting from KF8/AZW3, which can already be done with no additional development needed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 03:10 AM   #123
amc
amc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Thank you!

Method 2 - Disable KFX support in Kindle for PC/Mac

I used method 2 on my windows 10 laptop. It worked perfectly! Thank you!!!
amc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:39 PM   #124
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc View Post
Method 2 - Disable KFX support in Kindle for PC/Mac

I used method 2 on my windows 10 laptop. It worked perfectly! Thank you!!!
I am running
ren %localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle\application\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx

and got error
"A duplicate file name exists, or the file
cannot be found."

could you tell me exactly command and under which folder you run it?

Thanks in advance
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #125
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
The command just changes the extension of renderer-test.exe to .xxx. Copy %localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle\application\ into the File Explorer address bar and take a look.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 AM   #126
richard.presser
richard.presser began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone7 Plus, etc..
Yes, I may have misunderstood the issue. I have a workaround using my complex set-up, which sees Windows 10 running under VMWare Fusion on an MBP. I have the latest Kindle version on Windows, which enables the new or reactivated ability to copy text from within Kindle and an old version under MacOS that gives me the old format that I copy across to Windows that will load into Calibre. Not a solution for everyone, but it's working for me, at least until KFX is imposed everywhere... I appreciate the feedback.
richard.presser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #127
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The main problem is that all books in KFX format delivered by Amazon have DRM and no solution to remove that DRM currently exists.
Is it DRM, or just an obfuscated format for which translators have not yet been written?
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #128
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
Is it DRM, or just an obfuscated format for which translators have not yet been written?
It's DRM, but using a fixed key known to all Kindle devices that support KFX.

There's also a format translation issue, but the first step would be for someone to reverse-engineer the DRM, to produce an unencrypted version for the new format.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #129
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's DRM, but using a fixed key known to all Kindle devices that support KFX.
Books that are marked "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" appear to all use the same decryption key. Books that do not have that designation cannot be transferred between devices in KFX format and may possibly have different encryption keys. There is currently no way to be sure.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #130
HRR
Enthusiast
HRR began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iPad Pro
If I want to try Method 2, where do I put the command for PC, i.e., in C:\ or somewhere else?
HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #131
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRR View Post
If I want to try Method 2, where do I put the command for PC, i.e., in C:\ or somewhere else?
Anywhere at the command prompt, C:/ is fine. It simply renames renderer-test.exe to renderer-test.xxx. You can do this via the file manager by finding that file and renaming it manually.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #132
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you! The command line worked like a charm on my Windows 10 laptop.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #133
rangi63
rangi63 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Smile Thank youi so much

Thank you so much for this post. I had been having nothing but trouble with Calibre and Kindle e books for a month or so. I didn't realise I had a new version of PC for kindle which was stopping me from converting any books on calibre. I had even resorted to downloading a azw converter. I didnt buy it though and then today I download a new book and get ready to convert it an it tells me its a KFX format. Luckily I was diverted to this site.My new books downloaded as AZW but converted easy enough to Mobi.I have gone back to 1.17.0 an it works fine.
rangi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #134
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
... Download version 1.17 of Kindle. It is safest to download it directly from Amazon, instead of going to a third party site. Direct links are https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforpc...1.17.44170.exe for PC and https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforma...rMac-44182.dmg for Mac.
Does anyone have the direct download link for 1.19.2 for Mac? (I played with the numbers in the above link, but couldn't get anything to work.)

I'm still on 1.17 and don't intend to update, but I'd like to have 1.19.2 as a backup since there's a workaround for this version, just in case case Amazon stops supporting 1.17.

Thank you
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #135
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I'm still on 1.17 myself, but I think I've seen someone say that the fix for 1.19 continues to work for later versions.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc