Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
well, linux can run in as little as 2gb
2GB is not enough RAM. Once you start running programs, you run into the issue of too little memory. 4GB is tolerable in some cases. 8GB is the minimum you should have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #32
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i meant 2gb free. which i think would be the case with his 4gb machine. barely. and even then it wouldn't be fun and calibre would take forever to do any bulk operations. the one i installed it on had either 16gb or 64gb and ubuntu 14.x ran very nicely.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I have more than 400K ebooks, I have more than 12K active books, and Kindle needs to hire people to work on the Kindle that read books. The people making these decisions to remove the ability to manage collections, are not readers. They really, really, need to fix this. Does anybody know if there are collection managers for the Kobo Aura?
Calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:16 AM   #34
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Nope, I am old, and I read around 3 books a day, but I never plan to read all 400K books. Some are cookbooks, some diy, everything you can think of. But they are all sorted by either author for novels, or subject so when I want to read something, I can find it easily. I have about 2k books on my Voyage and some of them I have read 20 times. But the point is, it should be easy peasy to put whatever book I want on any Kindle I want it on. And if readers were designing these things, I could. These guys think if somebody has ten novels, that's a lot, so what is the problem?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #35
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
2GB is not enough RAM. Once you start running programs, you run into the issue of too little memory. 4GB is tolerable in some cases. 8GB is the minimum you should have.
That's unfortunate, because only the very largest Chromebooks have 8GiB RAM, and you have to pay a substantial price premium.

I can verify that my Chrome here, with several hundred tabs open with all sorts of stuff in them, is using less than 3GiB RAM. Thus I conclude that your argument is wrong: 4GiB is likely to be enough for most uses and 2GiB is probably fine for light use. (This does depend to some degree on ARM versus x86 Chromebook and also on what's running in the tabs and what extensions you have: Adblock Plus is a horrific memory hog, for instance, and you can often halve your browser memory usage by just switching to uBlock. I'm doing perfectly well here on 4GiB with Chrome with lots of tabs and flipping *Emacs* running.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #36
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'm getting the new Oasis and faced with the task of trying to get my considerable amount of unread and non-Kindle content into collections on the new device. This either has to be done by adding each book individually to the collections I want, or "bulk adding" which will show each and every page of content as I move through to select the items I want.

To use cloud collections you need to upload all your non-Amazon content there, and I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Also, every time I try to load a collection on amazon.com/myk with non-Amazon content in it, the wheel just spins and spins and won't show me a list.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to manage collections that doesn't involve jailbreaking? I can't believe there's not a better way...
What you are "missing" is a Kobo ereader and Calibre. There's a plug-in that perfectly syncs the device to your Calibre library, automatically. Kindle *used* to have this feature, too, until Amazon killed it and required a jailbreak to do it. Latest firmware updates, of course, can't/haven't been jailbroken.

Thanks, Bezos!
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'm getting the new Oasis
- - - - -
Am I missing something? Is there a better way to manage collections that doesn't involve jailbreaking? I can't believe there's not a better way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
- - - - -
Latest firmware updates, of course, can't/haven't been jailbroken.

Thanks, Bezos!
There is an exception in this case, the Kindle being one of the new Oasis (KOA2) models.
We can not jailbreak the current update (5.9.2).
But we can jailbreak the firmware version they have installed when they ship.

So if you want to jail break the device, when you get it, use the OTA blocking directory name on it so that it does not update on you.
The blocker directory is named:
update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Nope, I am old, and I read around 3 books a day, but I never plan to read all 400K books. Some are cookbooks, some diy, everything you can think of. But they are all sorted by either author for novels, or subject so when I want to read something, I can find it easily. I have about 2k books on my Voyage and some of them I have read 20 times. But the point is, it should be easy peasy to put whatever book I want on any Kindle I want it on. And if readers were designing these things, I could. These guys think if somebody has ten novels, that's a lot, so what is the problem?
Hi Twin. Nice to meet you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #39
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
I could be in the minority, but I really like the way collections are handled. Perhaps I don't need to drill down too far - I file by genre and then go to what every collection I'm in the mood for - Detective and mystery, Non-Fict, European Lit, Eng Lit, whatever.... Works for me : )

Home page is list of collections - 4 pages of them.

Great now it is cloud and synch across devices. I remember the hours it used to take to arrange collections on a new device. Now, fire up, and they're there.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #40
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Nested Cloud Collections would be awesome
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Nested Cloud Collections would be awesome
Would nested collections make any sense? Collections are tags, remember, not folders; their whole point really is that you can apply multiple tags to a book, so you could tag a book as "Mystery", "Favourites" and "Hercule Poirot", for example. I'm not really sure what a nested collection would physically mean.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #42
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not really sure what a nested collection would physically mean.
Calibre has a sensible nested tag scheme that would work for collections. For example: History, Hostory.usa, History.europe.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Calibre has a sensible nested tag scheme that would work for collections. For example: History, Hostory.usa, History.europe.
That seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of tags. To me, a book about the history of the USA should be tagged "History" and "USA", so it shows up under both categories.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #44
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
I could be in the minority, but I really like the way collections are handled. Perhaps I don't need to drill down too far - I file by genre and then go to what every collection I'm in the mood for - Detective and mystery, Non-Fict, European Lit, Eng Lit, whatever.... Works for me : )

Home page is list of collections - 4 pages of them.

Great now it is cloud and synch across devices. I remember the hours it used to take to arrange collections on a new device. Now, fire up, and they're there.
My exact layout too. I like the Kindle Collections.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #45
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
What you are "missing" is a Kobo ereader and Calibre. There's a plug-in that perfectly syncs the device to your Calibre library, automatically.
Not missing a Kobo because I do not want a Kobo. Thanks.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote