Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #1
flglavin
flglavin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire; Kobo aura One
Question No Nook For PC or Mac

Why has B&N done away with Nook for PC? My preferred reading platform is the large screen of my PC. Why should I buy a portable Nook device to be able to read their ebooks?
flglavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Contact B&N Customer Service and Ask....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by flglavin View Post
Why has B&N done away with Nook for PC? My preferred reading platform is the large screen of my PC. Why should I buy a portable Nook device to be able to read their ebooks?
I still see a Nook app in the Windows app store although I don't think they're updating it anymore it still works, as do old installs of Nook 4 PC. There will certainly be no more updates as with Nook constantly doing poorly for B&N they're unlikely to pour any resources into what is likely software not used anywhere near as much as the mobile apps are.

If the Windows app and/or Nook 4 PC are no longer working/available for you for some reason and you still wish to read on a PC I suppose an Android emulator like MeMu (there are several different ones besides that as well) running the Nook Android app should work okay on most PC's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
The NOOK for PC installer can still be downloaded from B&N's servers here. I just installed it on Windows 8.1 and signed into my account, so it still works.

If you have a mind to use the NOOK app for Android on your PC, the Android-x86 project is a free port of Android to run on PC hardware. It can be installed to a bootable USB drive (I recommend USB 3.0, but I've done it to a 2.0 drive) or it works fine with VirtualBox as long as you disable "Mouse Integration" from the "Input" menu.

I used to go the VirtualBox route, but I now boot my laptop to Android using a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive to run the NOOK app. I also use it to play Minecraft with my daughter.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur
JeffGeorge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Nook for PC will only work with Windows 8 or 10 now. Windows 7 is no longer supported. I had this conversation with their 'support' people yesterday. They asked me if I could upgrade my OS. Um, no.
JeffGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGeorge View Post
Nook for PC will only work with Windows 8 or 10 now. Windows 7 is no longer supported. I had this conversation with their 'support' people yesterday. They asked me if I could upgrade my OS. Um, no.
I just tried it on a Windows 7 machine and it worked fine. If you're interested in troubleshooting it, what's it doing or not doing?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I just tried it on a Windows 7 machine and it worked fine. If you're interested in troubleshooting it, what's it doing or not doing?
When I first opened it it worked fine with my saved credentials, but none of my new B&N purchases were showing regardless of how many times I refreshed. So I logged out and when I tried to log back in it told me my account was locked, even though I was able to sign in and out of BN.com as many times as I wanted to. I called support and they said the application was discontinued so it must be a password problem. They transferred me to another technician who said that the information I was given was inaccurate and the application still works. They then clarified that it can be downloaded from the App Store for Windows 8 and 10. When I said that I was running Windows 7 and had no intention of upgrading they said that's why my account was showing as locked, i.e. the application no longer works with Windows 7. Considering my past experiences with 'Support' I figured I was not going to get any further than that. I uninstalled the application. Maybe, if I can find it somewhere, I will try to reinstall it on a different computer.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur

I just installed it on another Windows 7 system and had no problems.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

I'm glad it worked for you. Most of the problems seem temporary or fixable, but NOOK for PC is just unstable, especially with a large library..