Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #91
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Oops! My first go at displaying the image failed miserably. I've attached it instead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	symbols.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	44758  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #92
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Thank you for this great new facility which I used for the first time today (v6.37)

On the subject of 'Number sorting', I think there may still be a slight problem - see image

As you can see 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc don't sort correctly.
Fixed in next release.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 02-01-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #93
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Would you be willing to add a section for Series to the catalog? It'd be quite useful to have an index by series too.

Xenophon
Working on the principle of "If you don't ask, you don't get", regarding Series info, my Wishlist would be:-
  1. Series Name[Number] added to the Description page header area with the Publisher and Ratings info
    e.g. Series: Hercule Poirot [1]

2. In the Authors section, have the Author's books listed in some kind of Series sequence
    e.g. SeriesName/SeriesNo/Title or
    SeriesName/SeriesNo/Published
    so that books not part of a Series are still sorted in Title or PublishedDate order

3. In the Descriptions section have the books ordered as above so that it is possible to browse an Author's individual book Descriptions by paging forward/backward.

... and finally ... the Cover thumbnails a little bigger. There appears to be enough room in the Description page header area, but i don't know whether the EPUB would become too big.

Any of the above would be great

Thank you for your efforts so far.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #94
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Working on the principle of "If you don't ask, you don't get", regarding Series info, my Wishlist would be:-
  1. Series Name[Number] added to the Description page header area with the Publisher and Ratings info
    e.g. Series: Hercule Poirot [1]
  2. In the Authors section, have the Author's books listed in some kind of Series sequence
    e.g. SeriesName/SeriesNo/Title or
    SeriesName/SeriesNo/Published
    so that books not part of a Series are still sorted in Title or PublishedDate order

3. In the Descriptions section have the books ordered as above so that it is possible to browse an Author's individual book Descriptions by paging forward/backward.

... and finally ... the Cover thumbnails a little bigger. There appears to be enough room in the Description page header area, but i don't know whether the EPUB would become too big.

Any of the above would be great

Thank you for your efforts so far.
Feel free to file a feature request ticket (see first post in this thread for how-to). If you do file a ticket, the more detail you can provide, the better, including sample layouts as you envision it.

G
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #95
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

OK, I'll raise some feature request tickets in the morning.
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #96
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
This may sound like a weird question but what is the purpose of the catalog?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #97
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Some e-book readers only have a file system. Kinda hard to find things when there are 700 books on your device.
The catalog works without having Calibre installed, only a reader appropriate for the saved format. CSV works in Excel or Open Office calc.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #98
lmamakos
lmamakos began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Using Calibre 0.6.37, (on OSX Snow Leopard) the catalog creation fails if there are one or more books which do not have an author. I took a quick look, and I didn't notice this reported. Here's the error that pops up:

Code:
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Generate catalog

Generate catalog
Python function terminated unexpectedly: string index out of range
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI:run
 path_to_output: /var/folders/eO/eO4HadZ9HPW2GHYXtKIit++++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.6.36_PbwU0P_catalog_out.epub
 Output format: epub
 Book count: 246
 opts:
  basename: Catalog
  catalog_title: My Books
  creator: calibre
  descriptionClip: 250
  exclude_genre: \[[\w ]*\]
  exclude_tags: ~
  fmt: epub
  log: <calibre.utils.logging.Log object at 0x65b2470>
  note_tag: *
  output_profile: sony
  plugin_path: <class 'calibre.library.catalog.EPUB_MOBI'>
  read_tag: +
  search_text: None
  sort_by: None
  verbose: True
CatalogBuilder(): Generating epub for sony
0.00% fetchBooksByTitle()
0.08% fetchBooksByAuthor()
0.15% generateHTMLDescriptions()
0.23% generateHTMLByTitle()
0.31% generateHTMLByAuthor()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/louie/Apps/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 147, in main
    return run_entry_point()
  File "/Users/louie/Apps/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 116, in run_entry_point
    return getattr(pmod, func)()
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 99, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 59, in gui_catalog
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/catalog.py", line 2391, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/catalog.py", line 746, in buildSources
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/catalog.py", line 1213, in generateHTMLByAuthor
IndexError: string index out of range
Adding something in the author fields "fixes" the problem, and the catalog gets created.

It would be very slick if somehow you could link between documents on the individual ebook readers, but I haven't seen that quite yet..

Last edited by lmamakos; 02-01-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add OS information
Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #99
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Update: My first book's title was Catch-22, I renamed it Catch 22 and it has moved beyond this error.

Here is my current error when attempting to create a catalog. Calibre 0.6.37

Code:
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Generate catalog

Generate catalog
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI(): Generating epub for sony in GUI environment
 Book count: 1113
 opts:
  catalog_title: My Books
  exclude_tags: ~,Catalog
  numbers_as_text: False
  sync: False
Begin catalog source generation
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  invalid literal for float(): Catch (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 103, in main
  File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 99, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 60, in gui_catalog
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 2760, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 767, in buildSources
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 858, in fetchBooksByTitle
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 2645, in generateSortTitle
ValueError: invalid literal for float(): Catch

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-02-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #100
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Update: My first book's title was Catch-22, I renamed it Catch 22 and it has moved beyond this error.

Here is my current error when attempting to create a catalog. Calibre 0.6.37
Fixed in next release.

G
Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #101
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
First of all, this is a great add-on. Thanks for all the work!

Regarding the following:
Quote:
Tips for Kindle users
The catalog builder has some special TOC optimizations for Kindle users.

* To build a Kindle version of your catalog, open the Preferences|Conversion|Page Setup dialog, confirm that your Output profile is either Kindle or Kindle DX.

* To explore your catalog through the Kindle TOC:
o From the Home screen, move the highlight to your catalog, then toggle right.
o Move the highlight down to 'Go to Section...', then click to open the Sections List.
o Highlighting and clicking on a Section name (Descriptions, Authors, Titles, Recently Added, Genres) will take you to that Section.
o Highlighting and clicking on the number in parentheses (right of the Section) will take you to a high-level overview of that Section in your catalog. Try it.
o If you end up somewhere you didn't expect to be, just press the Back button on your Kindle to return to the previously displayed page.
If I toggle to the right when the catalog is highlighted, I get :
'Go to Las Page Read'
'Go to Beginning'
'Go to Location...'

I don't get 'Go to Section...'. Did I forget sthing while building the catalog?

Last edited by aceflor; 02-02-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #102
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmamakos View Post
Using Calibre 0.6.37, (on OSX Snow Leopard) the catalog creation fails if there are one or more books which do not have an author. Adding something in the author fields "fixes" the problem, and the catalog gets created.

It would be very slick if somehow you could link between documents on the individual ebook readers, but I haven't seen that quite yet..
Absent author problem fixed in next release.

I agree it would be slick to be able to jump directly from the catalog to the book. If someone knows how to do that, I can try adding it.

G
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #103
GRiker

aceflor: A couple of things to check.
  • Update to latest calibre (0.6.37) if you haven't already
  • Check Preferences|Conversion|Page Setup|Output Profile, make sure you have 'Kindle' or 'Kindle DX' selected.
Rebuild your catalog and send it to your Kindle. If you're still not getting the Sections... option, post the log from the build (see first post in this thread for how-to)

G
Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #104
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Kindle is my main E-reader, and I realized that once I had more than a screenful of books on my home page, I was relying on calibre to explore my collection. What I really wanted was an encapsulated snapshot of my calibre collection, but on the Kindle, so I could browse titles, descriptions, covers, etc.

Amazon may or may not release a firmware update with folders, but IMHO the only thing that's really missing from the Catalog is the ability to jump straight from a catalog description to the actual book. I'm still hoping that will be possible, maybe when the KDK is released. In the meantime, you can type the name of the book in the search field, toggle right twice to search 'My Items', then jump to the book. Since I use the catalog as my primary means of browsing my Kindle, I leave the Home page set to 'Subscriptions' (the catalog shows up as a periodical on the Kindle). Now I have a nice, uncluttered Home page with today's papers and catalog interface to my books.

Make sense?

G
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #105
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
@ GRiker:
Quote:
aceflor: A couple of things to check.

* Update to latest calibre (0.6.37) if you haven't already
* Check Preferences|Conversion|Page Setup|Output Profile, make sure you have 'Kindle' or 'Kindle DX' selected.

Rebuild your catalog and send it to your Kindle. If you're still not getting the Sections... option, post the log from the build (see first post in this thread for how-to)
Did both, but still not TOC. So here the log:

Spoiler:
Generate catalog
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI(): Generating mobi for kindle in GUI environment
Book count: 826
opts:
catalog_title: My Books MOBI
exclude_tags: ~,Catalog
numbers_as_text: False
sync: False
Begin catalog source generation
2644: Animal Dreams (Barbara Kingsolver) contains suspect metadata
2643: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (Barbara Kingsolver) contains suspect metadata
2701: The Boy I Love (Marion Husband) contains suspect metadata
2944: Butterfly Tattoo (Deidre Knight) contains suspect metadata
2894: Chateau Despair (Red Rose Publishing) contains suspect metadata
1982: Discovering Dani (N. J. Walters) contains suspect metadata
2424: Discovering Dani (Walters, N. J.) contains suspect metadata
2588: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (David Sedaris) contains suspect metadata
3581: John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace (Jonathan Aitken) contains suspect metadata
2454: Kindle Shopper's Guide, 2010 Edition (Chute, Harvey) contains suspect metadata
2844: Look What Santa Brought (Annmarie McKenna) contains suspect metadata
3536: Painting the Roses Red (Trish Lamoree) contains suspect metadata
2458: Paradox I (J.C. Wilder &amp; Rosemary Laurey) contains suspect metadata
2986: Parallel Fire: A Midnight Warriors book (Deidre Knight) contains suspect metadata
2772: Santa, Baby (Lisa Renee Jones) contains suspect metadata
2771: Starstruck (Julie Kenner) contains suspect metadata
3004: Sudoku from MobileReference (MobileReference) contains suspect metadata
2876: A suitable boy (Vikram Seth) contains suspect metadata
2776: Texas Blaze (Debbi Rawlins) contains suspect metadata
3409: Travels in the Scriptorium (Paul Auster) contains suspect metadata
2402: Unbreakable (Somers, Sydney) contains suspect metadata
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'Chris Bohjalian' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'Bohjalian, Chris' != 'BOHJALIAN, CHRIS'
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'C. S. Harris' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'Harris, C.S.' != 'Harris, C. S.'
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'Stuart McLean' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'McLean, Stuart' != 'Mclean, Stuart'
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'Stuart McLean' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'Mclean, Stuart' != 'McLean, Stuart'
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'Audrey Niffenegger' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'Niffenegger, Audrey' != 'Niffeneger, Audrey'
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'ANNE RIVERS SIDDONS' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'SIDDONS, ANNE RIVERS' != 'Siddons, Anne Rivers'
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'ANNE RIVERS SIDDONS' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'Siddons, Anne Rivers' != 'SIDDONS, ANNE RIVERS'
Warning: multiple entries for Author 'J. Randy Taraborrelli' with differing Author Sort metadata:
'TARABORRELLI, J. RANDY' != 'Taraborrelli, J. Randy'
27 available genre tags in database (exclude_genre: \[[\w ]*\]):
Biographies => biographies,
Blaze => blaze,
Catalog => catalog,
Chick-Lit => chicklit,
Classic => classic,
Dad => dad,
Ellora => ellora,
Fantasy Romance => fantasyromance,
Fiction => fiction,
Fiction - Historical => fictionhistorical,
Freebie => freebie,
General Fiction => generalfiction,
HIS027000 => his027000,
Health => health,
Kindle => kindle,
Kindle not yet => kindlenotyet,
Nondad => nondad,
Novels => novels,
Read => read,
Romance => romance,
Science Fiction => sciencefiction,
Unknown => unknown,
fantasy => fantasy,
m/m romance, contemporary => mmromancecontemporary,
non-fiction => nonfiction,
pb not yet => pbnotyet,
thriller => thriller
Genre summary: 22 active genre tags used in generating catalog with 826 titles
biographies: 2 titles
blaze: 35 titles
chicklit: 3 titles
dad: 20 titles
ellora: 10 titles
fantasyromance: 22 titles
fiction: 105 titles
fictionhistorical: 39 titles
freebie: 14 titles
generalfiction: 1 titles
health: 3 titles
kindle: 141 titles
kindlenotyet: 34 titles
nondad: 46 titles
novels: 1 titles
read: 1 titles
romance: 5 titles
sciencefiction: 1 titles
fantasy: 1 titles
nonfiction: 3 titles
pbnotyet: 102 titles
thriller: 65 titles
Finished catalog source generation

InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running
on c:\docume~1\asti\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.37_18ei ds_epub_mobi_catalog\Catalog.opf
Parsing all content...
Referenced file 'content/Genre_mmromance.html' not found
Referenced file 'content/Genre_contemporary.html' not found
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Creating MOBI Output...
Applying case-transforming CSS...
Rasterizing SVG images...
Converting XHTML to Mobipocket markup...
Serializing markup content...
Compressing markup content...
MOBI periodical specified, evaluating TOC for periodical conformance ...
Nonconforming TOC entry: "periodical" found at depth 9
<title>: 'My Books MOBI ...' klass=periodical depth:9 playOrder=544
Nonconforming TOC entry: "section" found at depth 8
<title>: 'Descriptions ...' klass=section depth:8 playOrder=544
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 7
<title>: 'Animal Dreams ...' klass=article depth:7 playOrder=037
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 6
<title>: 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracl...' klass=article depth:6 playOrder=038
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 3
<title>: 'The Boy I Love ...' klass=article depth:3 playOrder=098
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 2
<title>: 'Chateau Despair ...' klass=article depth:2 playOrder=122
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 5
<title>: 'John Newton: From Disgrac...' klass=article depth:5 playOrder=372
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 4
<title>: 'Kindle Shopper's Guide, 2...' klass=article depth:4 playOrder=384
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 3
<title>: 'Painting the Roses Red ...' klass=article depth:3 playOrder=534
Nonconforming TOC entry: "article" found at depth 2
<title>: 'Paradox I ...' klass=article depth:2 playOrder=541
TOC structure non-conforming
Generating flat CTOC ...
CNCX utilization: 1 record, 18% full
Indexing navPoints ...
Generating INDX ...
Failed to generate index
Serializing images...
MOBI output written to c:\docume~1\asti\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.37_rafr tj_catalog_out.mobi

I am lost.... I really thought the metadatas and the tags were clean now....Could that be the reason ? btw, the "unclean" books are Kindle books...
Closed Thread

Tags
book catalog