Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
T1 for daughter is charging

We just got back from Target with a black T1.
I will post experiences as we get familiar. My daughter is excited, it is her delayed birthday gift. The T1 was announced on her birthday. (she actually has a 1st gen Kobo that was last years bday gift, but she found the menu system frustrating)

First off, my not so brilliant self decided to see if the little neoprene protector that was included with my PRS300 would fit over her T1 while it was charging. I wish I hadn't done this. I inadvertently set it for French. We'll have to do a reset I think. (I've never used the little neoprene pouch since I have the leather protector case w/light. The little pouch does cover the T1 to protect for the interim)

The documentation it comes with is basically a quick start menu including wifi setup. The stylus has a clip on end similar to a pen.

The device is already recognizing our WiFi setup at home, so that is good. Once I get it switched back to the English language hopefully everything will go smoothly. User manual is on the device according to the quick start sheet.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
jrnemanich
jrnemanich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
How is the glare(is there glare)? How does the device feel in your hands?
jrnemanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

The device feels good to her. Screen is really nice, I didn't notice any glare problems but admittedly was focused on getting it setup. Black framing of case is shiny but doesn't take up much real estate, back of device is a matte charcoal black, not slippery.

Setup was pretty straight forward, virtual keyboard appears when needed for searches & menu setup. IMHO pretty slick. To start downloading books from library, device instructed us to go to the Sony Reader store via the device we selected the reader store, created an account for her and then the device was auto authorized w/ADE.

Pluses so far: Icon for Library: once setup, does a search for your closest library through zip code or city info, you then select your library then the device quickly loaded the library's overdrive website section. Just log in with library card number start searching or use the quick link to your overdrive library account. You can then access your wish list or requests that are ready for pickup and download. (We tried a title search but Overdrive/or library is having a problem with searches at this moment, I just verified with normal search from PC and got the same error message when doing a search)

Downloading library book was fast. I accidentally downloaded the same title twice due to this so when exploring how to delete titles found an option icon to return a book early to library. So of course had to try that out, it worked. The far right button that looks like a justified symbol brings up menu options.

I'll try to give some more organized details when I've had time to play more.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
pictures please!

although that might just make my frustration at Sony grow bigger.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very cool, you make me want to go my local Target to see if they're in stock!

Can you please answer one question for me, does it allow "tap" to turn pages or do you need to swipe?
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
... Icon for Library: once setup, does a search for your closest library through zip code or city info, you then select your library then the device quickly loaded the library's overdrive website section. Just log in with library card number start searching or use the quick link to your overdrive library account. You can then access your wish list or requests that are ready for pickup and download...
Very nice.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Interesting, the T1 isn't even listed on Target's website and I don't think anyone in USA has received the ones they ordered through Sony Style yet.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforx View Post
pictures please!

although that might just make my frustration at Sony grow bigger.

There are plenty online. I doubt her device looks any different.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
tswan
tswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura about

Doesn't appear tapping the screen works at this point. Have to swipe or hit the physical buttons to turn pages.
tswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
beespeckled
Zealot

Log: it is a swipe to turn pages. You can customize which direction you want the swipe. We set it up for right direction. Just a slight finger swipe to the right turns the page, to the left turns back a page. Her preference at this point is to use the button turns.

A tap at bottom of screen will bring up an option page for "previous view" "table of contents" or "Enter Page # " box.

Search function from overdrive now working so was able to find the original book she was looking for last night and download it. Very user friendly.

a few quick photos coming in just a moment.

first screen

showing library icon & other options

far right button will bring up delete or return books from title list screen

7 font options

Last edited by beespeckled; 10-01-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: to add photos
Old 10-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
...case is shiny ...back of device is ... matte...

Spoiler:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
Firedb
Enthusiast
Firedb began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note 8 rooted
Thanks for this!
I'd like to see some pictures of the settings menu please, what settings are available?
Firedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
beespeckled
Zealot

Firedb settings menu coming right up!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post

Spoiler:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I couldn't agree more with that.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Purchased a T1 + book cover today at Target. The T1 is extremely light, even in the cover and the screen is the best from Sony yet. Being able to change fonts is plus as are the extra fonts sizes. I was always "in between" on the 950 and wanted another font setting.

Page turns are very fast and the screen has the best contrast of any Sony to date. The black is a bit shiny, but it really makes the text pop off the page. I'm impressed as I always thought the Sony contrast lacked in comparison to the Kindle.

If any one has questions, please post.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony t1