Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool My home-made [mostly] 650 reader cover

So due to a lack of nice 650 covers, and my disinterest in paying Sony for something that used to be free, I decided to have a go at making a cover. Browsing the B&N's clearance aisle, I found a book the right size, that was just a bit larger then the reader, but gave me a safe margin for cutting (and had enough space for the extra space over the power switch. The book was a standard hardcover, with cardboard covers held together with a thin sheet of bookbinding cloth.

I took the book apart, re-bound it with bookbinding leather (or pleather probably), and bookbinding cloth, then cut through the pages, leaving a lip from the first few pages on the bottom of the reader. There is also a cloth elastic band to secure the reader at the top. Magnets have been put into the pages, and the cover, to keep it securely closed.

I used soft denim fabric to line the inside of the case, and an extra sheet of the leather-type material on the inside of the front cover, to make the whole thing look a bit neater. I am not sure if you can tell from the attached photos, but there is a sheet of stencil plastic glued to the top of the pages, to prevent them from being easily soaked, or absorbing any sort of stain.

The cover is designed to be able to fold all the way back, to make it easier to hold the reader with one hand, this was one reason why the cover hinge is reinforced with book fabric both on the inside, and on the outside. I used black fabric on the outside, and white on the inside, to go with the colors it already had.

This is my first try with bookbinding of any sort and with making a reader cover, so things aren't quite as neat as they could be.

At the moment, I am looking into a good design to use on the front cover (and the best way of putting it there), and I am very likely going to build another one, using a better quality leather for the outer cover. I also have an idea for some sort of a collapsible leg that I could put into the front inner cover, to incline the reader for easier use, but I haven't found the best method for this yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6117.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	61021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6119.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	61022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6123.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	61023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6124.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	61024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6125.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	61025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6126.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	61026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6127.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	61027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6129.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	61028  

Last edited by Kaitou Ace; 11-11-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Nicely done.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Very creative!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
Nice!
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Very Nice!!! I've been thinking of ways to make one for myself. Using a hardcover makes so much sense. Well done!
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Looking good!
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Ha!

With that cover no one can complain about "missing the feel of paper"!

Nice job!
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
jpuntd
jpuntd doesn't litterjpuntd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Very creative solution!
jpuntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Altoanto
tsoin tsoin
Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
Awesome job! I was desperately looking for a cover for my PRS 300 since everyone now only has eyes for the new kid in town, the 350 :P. I think I'll try something similar, I'll post the result!
Cheers
Altoanto is offline   Reply With Quote