Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
There is an ap in Itunes called CineXPlayer that plays avi files as is. You transfer them in via Itunes and it plays them and a couple of other formats. Avi is the only one I"ve use, but it plays them without any problems.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #32
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Look at the thread in the news section according to the apple haters none of his can be done.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
I've always wondered why vlc never released an app for the iPhone or iPad. It's open source, so why did it have to be released in the jb store? Does Apple not want a real video player on their iDevices?
There was actually a (very basic but functional) official version of VLC in the App Store, I still have it in iTunes but dont use it very much these days... most video apps provide more...
Why did it disappear?
It did not comply with that part of the GNL that requires applications to be acquireable without copy protection schemes... The developers asked Apple if they would implement such a mechanism (like Android "install non market apps") to effectively allow "real" open source on iOS, i.e. allow the devs to comply with the GNL... Of course Apple refused... I goes it was more intended as a political stunt than as a real attempt, but yeah, that's the story of VLC on iOS...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #34
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I love popping a movie onto my SD card and then watching it on my free video app on my Transformer. No need to convert or jailbreak-it just works!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #35
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I love popping a movie onto my SD card and then watching it on my free video app on my Transformer. No need to convert or jailbreak-it just works!

Cool. I do the same thing on my iPad.
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post

Cool. I do the same thing on my iPad.
Exactly how do you view a movie onto my SD card with free or included software? I have an SD adapter purchased extra and I can only copy photos, I can't even view them on the card.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #37
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAzR View Post
What's this like in terms of using the USB adapter from the camera connection kit and a USB memory stick?

Is it gonna really drain power?
I have pretty much given up on the USB camera connection kit as a USB device port. It is very sensitive to any power consumption at all so the USB device must be self powered, like a camera.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #38
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Exactly how do you view a movie onto my SD card with free or included software? I have an SD adapter purchased extra and I can only copy photos, I can't even view them on the card.

Dale
http://www.airstash.com/

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless

I have both of these. I use the Kingston widrive with the kindle fire.

Both work great & I would highly recommend. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, they both have free apps for iOS.

Last edited by monkeyluis; 03-21-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
http://www.airstash.com/

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless

I have both of these. I use the Kingston widrive with the kindle fire.

Both work great & I would highly recommend. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, they both have free apps for iOS.
Not exactly free. Which do you like the best for an iPad? How much memory do you recommend.

Dale
Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Not exactly free. Which do you like the best for an iPad? How much memory do you recommend.
Bought the Kingston Wi-Drive 32GB when it went on sale for $80 on Amazon. Works nicely for music, videos and photos so I can reserve internal iPad storage for my apps and comics. Supposedly, Kingston will be releasing a 64GB model. Would've preferred that but I wanted the extra storage before we go on a long-drive this weekend. Oh well, 32GB isn't so bad and it can hold a handful of 720p movies.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #41
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:

Dale
The apps are free. No matter how you obtain additional storage & no matter the device it's going to cost money.

Depends on how much you expect to use or need. For instance if you just want the extra space for movies I would say the Kingston. It's fixed @ 16 or 32gb.

Oh, I should mention that Seagate also makes a 500gb wif hard drive as well. It's about $130 ish I think, on amazon. I don't have this though, but it has good reviews around the net.

The airstash is great if you want to use different SD cards for different reasons or to plug in your SD card from the camera to move over pics & video. I have a few SD cards, 32gb in size, that I'll use for movies etc for the kids.

The nice thing about all of these is that they can be shared simultaneously by up 3-5 devices. That's good for me because I have. 4 yr old girl who likes to watch princess movies & an 8 yr old boy who likes star wars. So they can watch on different devices at the same time.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #42
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Bought the Kingston Wi-Drive 32GB when it went on sale for $80 on Amazon. Works nicely for music, videos and photos so I can reserve internal iPad storage for my apps and comics. Supposedly, Kingston will be releasing a 64GB model. Would've preferred that but I wanted the extra storage before we go on a long-drive this weekend. Oh well, 32GB isn't so bad and it can hold a handful of 720p movies.
Agreed. I just moved over a bunch of movies onto it for the kids for our cruise next week. I like that it's nice & light weight, thin & sleek. Easily fits anywhere in the gadget bag.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #43
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
How do you like the Airstash? That looks more promising long term just because you can swap cards in for more storage. But one of the reviews that I read listed the non-replaceable battery as an issue.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #44
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Oh, I should mention that Seagate also makes a 500gb wif hard drive as well. It's about $130 ish I think, on amazon. I don't have this though, but it has good reviews around the net.
Was considering the Seagate but the mechanical HDD was a big deterrent. For something that will likely get tossed around, I reckon the Kingston with its SSD would be better suited. Sure, it's a big jump from 500GB to 32GB but I figured 32GB can still hold enough content for 3~4 hour drives for 720p stuff and much longer drives if I stick to SD content.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #45
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
How do you like the Airstash? That looks more promising long term just because you can swap cards in for more storage. But one of the reviews that I read listed the non-replaceable battery as an issue.
I think airstash is great. They all have non-replaceable batteries. But like you said, for the long term yeah I think it'll do just fine. I think the salable cards is the nicest feature.