Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Difference between HP mini 1001 and 1101

Okay, well I use it as my reading device anyway...I got an HP Mini 1101 and I love it. After Google-surfing and checking with HP's site, I can't find an answer: What are the differences (preferably physical) between the models in the thread title? I want a book-style case like this:

http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product...ducts_id=13655

for my 1101 but not having much luck. They appear to be the same structurally, but might not be the same dimensionally. Of course if someone knows of a book-type case that really is for the 1101 thus saving me the guesswork, that help would be appreciated as well

Thanks in advance-
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just a word of caution. I've got the HP Mini 110-1045DX. These netbooks have a fan for a reason--to stay cool. I'm not sure why you would want to place it in a cover, but you will run the risk of making the netbook run hotter. It already weighs 3 lbs, so placing it in a cover will add both weight and bulk which might be okay with you, but it might make it less desireable as a handheld eBook reading device.

BTW: I just got an Asus T91MT netbook tablet with touch screen to use as my primary eBook reader. At 2.1 lbs it is a bit heavy, but usable. I tried using my HP Mini 110-1045DX but the clamshell design was terrible for reading in portrait view, and holding an open netbook in my lap and trying to read was difficult. A clamshell design is fine for tabletop, horizontal reading, but not for portrait reading.

Last edited by jswinden; 02-13-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Just a word of caution. I've got the HP Mini 110-1045DX. These netbooks have a fan for a reason--to stay cool. I'm not sure why you would want to place it in a cover, but you will run the risk of making the netbook run hotter. It already weighs 3 lbs, so placing it in a cover will add both weight and bulk which might be okay with you, but it might make it less desireable as a handheld eBook reading device.

BTW: I just got an Asus T91MT netbook tablet with touch screen to use as my primary eBook reader. At 2.1 lbs it is a bit heavy, but usable. I tried using my HP Mini 110-1045DX but the clamshell design was terrible for reading in portrait view, and holding an open netbook in my lap and trying to read was difficult. A clamshell design is fine for tabletop, horizontal reading, but not for portrait reading.
Hi, Jack
He has access to a T91MT as well - because I'm his wife, and that's what I have! I'll let him reply to the rest of your post - but you've got the wrong idea. He uses his HP mini mainly for surfing, reading on it is a secondary concern for him.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Umm...

C. None Of The Above.

I believe the 110s are a different model still from the 1000/1100 series; why is it that netbook makers have to have 85 different SKUs for what are essentially the same damn thing?

Anyway, while my 1101 will be my primary reading device, it will not be primarily for reading; it is, after all, a netbook. It will ultimately be:
  • 'Net appliance
  • Encyclopedia/dictionary
  • PDA
  • EBook reader
  • Linux demonstration device

...and probably a few other things I haven't thought of yet.

The cooling issue had occurred to me, but I don't beat on it. If I need to do anything really CPU-intensive, I have no business doing it on a netbook anyway.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would just make sure the fan vents are not covered. As long as it can vent the heat properly, you should be okay.

BTW, I really like my HP Mini 110. I'm only going to use the Asus T91MT for eBook and PDF reading, whereas my Mini is the portable work horse.

I definately agree that there are too many models. I think HP changes the model number whenever it modifies any one model, even if it is a very minor modification. The exact same hardware that has Win XP factory installed will have a different model number from a model with Win 7 factory installed. A model with a 250 GB HD will have a different model number from the same computer that has a 500 GB HD. And so forth. I have even noticed that HP will sometimes rename a model for a specific retailer. For example, Best Buy often asks manufacturers to strip out some of the options so they can sell the computer cheaper than their competition, so HP will do so and slightly change the model number. Plus as you know, today's newly released model will be superceded by a newer model within just a few weeks, often with little difference in hardware or software. I think it is ALL ABOUT MARKETING!

Last edited by jswinden; 02-14-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I definately agree that there are too many models. I think HP changes the model number whenever it modifies any one model, even if it is a very minor modification.
I and my HP Pavilion dv7-1240us (not to be confused with a dv7t) resent that statement.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I and my HP Pavilion dv7-1240us (not to be confused with a dv7t) resent that statement.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Not limited to HP, I assure you. Acer is good for that as well in the netbook department.

I think Asus set a record though, the 1000-series Eee-PC had something like 38 SKUs at one point last year
Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Okay, well anyway the maker of that particular case emailed me back and says they're not compatible. Back on the hunt.